V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don't think so, the car companies are retooling and planing for this to happen. It's like a ship you can't just stop and turn it around.
Behind close doors I can guarantee there are backup plans. I think the actual plan is to make a certain percentage of cars EV and gas then meet in the middle somewhere. EVs are coming and they will eventually take over the market. But the timeline in which that will happen is up for debate.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
This is no longer a political issue, it doesn't matter how lenient the rules get, the automakers themselves have decided they don't want to produce ICE cars any more.

Its not about regulations, its about money.

This is what I've been trying to say, there is no federal rule about banning ICE vehicles yet all of the big three have begun the transition to EV's.

They're here to stay and ICE vehicles are becoming obsolete, the evidence is there, the companies have began the transition, its over. I don't understand why this is some sort of loss, or sad thing, life changes all the time
I guarantee you, there is no mass movement to EVs. It cannot happen. We do not have the electrical generation or distribution capacity to handle even 5% EVs.

ICE vehicles aren't going anywhere, and they're not obsolete.

The reason you're seeing manufacturers talk about switching to EVs, is they want to kill the dealership sales model and move to direct sales, like Tesla. Ford is leading by splitting the business into two separate units, and making EV sales direct-to-consumer, not through the dealerships.

It's all about money for the manufacturers, about cutting out the dealerships and tripling the money they make on each EV vehicle they produce, just like Tesla.

And what they'd really like to do, is kill dealerships entirely and make all vehicle sales directly. Which is why production scarcity is continuing....they're trying to kill the dealerships.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Tesla is still losing money, Ford is having to lay off people.

The feds don't have to ban ICE California has already done it. Europe has also. What are the car companies supposed to do? Yep make EV's.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I guarantee you, there is no mass movement to EVs. It cannot happen. We do not have the electrical generation or distribution capacity to handle even 5% EVs.

Do you have anything to back this up at all? Where did you get that 5% figure? Do you know the Model 3 outsold the Camry in Australia last year? Tesla currently cannot sell any more Model 3 LR's because their factory is at 100% load. People want these things so fucking bad, they can hardly wait. People are paying MSRP for a 3 year old tesla with 60k on them, the demand for EV's is through the damn roof.

Also, why is everyone's opinion that building power plants, something we already know how to do, is some kind of inhuman feat never before accomplished? I'm saddened that you think the developed world, namely the US (because we currently lead the pack for EV's) isn't able to build power plants and beef up the grid. I know we can, if you believe we lack that ability than that's were we differ.

Its happening, you can't stop it, you can argue with me all you want but its already here. I'm happy to be from the country that is again revolutionizing personal transportation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
The EV market will be in trouble soon. So, I am not worried about the V8. Trust me :)
You're absolutely correct about this. EVs, unless you're talking about hybrids, are nowhere near being adopted as quickly as the media would like everyone to think. There are major issues with: *Manufacturing capacity for batteries
*Range anxiety
*Infrastructure for charging while traveling
*Infrastructure for charging overnight
*Soaring costs of scarce materials
At some point, headlines like "San Francisco Goes Completely Dark As Motorists Plug In To Charge, Exceeding Grid Capacity" will become routine. The grid is old and fragile enough currently. I don't believe there is enough attention being paid to protecting it from cyber attack or inclement weather, let alone the inevitable strain when 100,000 drivers plug their Teslas and Mach Es in overnight.
Even Toyota has been cautioning the industry against adopting EVs too quickly.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
This is no longer a political issue, it doesn't matter how lenient the rules get, the automakers themselves have decided they don't want to produce ICE cars any more.

This is what I've been trying to say, there is no federal rule about banning ICE vehicles yet all of the big three have begun the transition to EV's.

They're here to stay and ICE vehicles are becoming obsolete, the evidence is there, the companies have began the transition, its over. I don't understand why this is some sort of loss, or sad thing, life changes all the time
Hello; So many things wrong in this post but let me take one for now. The issue is it can take several years from conception to the showroom floor. I think five years is quick for a new model based on an existing platform. For a totally new platform it can take longer. To switch from ICE to EV platforms will likely take restructuring an entire plant or at least a major portion.
The companies cannot wait till 2029 to start these changes. They have to make decisions based on the mandates as the mandates exist.
I suspect some will keep portions of the manufacturing capacity ICE based. Seems pretty clear trucks of any capacity will have to remain ICE powered. Those such a Volvo who have gone all in are placing a big bet.

These cart before the horse mandates have the companies in a bind. I reject your contention automakers do not want to make ICE anymore.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Also, why is everyone's opinion that building power plants, something we already know how to do, is some kind of inhuman feat never before accomplished? I'm saddened that you think the developed world, namely the US (because we currently lead the pack for EV's) isn't able to build power plants and beef up the grid. I know we can, if you believe we lack that ability than that's were we differ.
its because clean nuclear power destroys the doomsday prophets climate change hysteria.
we could build a few nuclear power plants and be fine but they won't do it for the same reason drug companies don't want to cure a disease, the money is in not solving the problem.

i'll consider EV's when i can charge up 300-400 miles of use in 5 minutes at a "gas" station.
till then ICE is superior.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Do you have anything to back this up at all? Where did you get that 5% figure? Do you know the Model 3 outsold the Camry in Australia last year? Tesla currently cannot sell any more Model 3 LR's because their factory is at 100% load. People want these things so fucking bad, they can hardly wait. People are paying MSRP for a 3 year old tesla with 60k on them, the demand for EV's is through the damn roof.

Its happening, you can't stop it, you can argue with me all you want but its already here. I'm happy to be from the country that is again revolutionizing personal transportation.
There's been no net increase in US electrical power generation for the last 20 years. 0. What do you think has happened with electrical demand over the last 20 ears?

1661957229743.png

What do I have to back that up? Rolling black outs and requests to not run A/C during the day in California and Texas.

Do you even realize how much electrical energy California gets from other states? What happens when those other states tell California to F-off, as they're maxed-out just trying to meet their own needs?

I don't think you understand the $$ involved in building massive amounts of new electrical power generating and distributing capacity. It's trillions and trillions of dollars.

Who's going to build it when the EPA hasn't allowed any coal or nuclear stations to be built for years? What are they going to run on?

Where's the trillions of dollars going to come from??

As far as Teslas in Australia......it's just bizarre that you drag that into this discussion. As if it's pertinent to the discussion at hand. It's smacks of some single-source, opinion-based information someone told you 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Tesla is still losing money, Ford is having to lay off people.

The feds don't have to ban ICE California has already done it. Europe has also. What are the car companies supposed to do? Yep make EV's.
Tesla is not losing money. They may show that on public balance sheets, but Tesla makes x3 the amount of $$ per vehicle versus the Big 3, Toyota, Honda, etc.

That, and Elon Musk is a bazillionaire.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Moving $$ around to hide it.

California's ICE band is pure political BS, just like it is in Europe. Not gonna happen. Can't happen.

Hell, California is the last place it can ever work. They're probably the world's largest importer of electrical energy. They get it from surrounding states.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hell, California is the last place it can ever work. They're probably the world's largest importer of electrical energy. They get it from surrounding states.
Hello; Yes to this. saw that information myself.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There's been no net increase in US electrical power generation for the last 20 years. 0. What do you think has happened with electrical demand over the last 20 ears?

1661957229743.png

What do I have to back that up? Rolling black outs and requests to not run A/C during the day in California and Texas.

Do you even realize how much electrical energy California gets from other states? What happens when those other states tell California to F-off, as they're maxed-out just trying to meet their own needs?

I don't think you understand the $$ involved in building massive amounts of new electrical power generating and distributing capacity. It's trillions and trillions of dollars.

Who's going to build it when the EPA hasn't allowed any coal or nuclear stations to be built for years? What are they going to run on?

Where's the trillions of dollars going to come from??

As far as Teslas in Australia......it's just bizarre that you drag that into this discussion. As if it's pertinent to the discussion at hand. It's smacks of some single-source, opinion-based information someone told you 2 years ago.
But they are selling out of every single one they make, you can argue with me and insult me all you want. But you need a dose of reality, the majority of people don’t want gasoline cars for the future, we are a minority in this opinion.

This forum is an echo chamber that allows people with this opinion to believe that there is actually a reality where EV's will fail. They wont, I can hardly throw a rock without hitting one.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
They wont, I can hardly throw a rock without hitting one.
I believe that may be true in Boston. Here in the south they are few and far between.
Sponsored