junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Who is going to pay for it?
We are, either through higher taxes or increased electric rates. If we use tax dollars that amounts to fascism, you know the thing "they" accused T of.

I know many who cannot run A/C due to electric costs. Are they going to be able to afford plugging a car every night? It's not like you can do 5 or 10 dollars at a time like a gas car, the bill comes due at the end of the month.

Scary times are a coming.

This battery EV thing is nothing more than a feel good pipe dream.
You’re just wrong

do you think people didn’t say this when gasoline motors took over for horses?

there are no scary times ahead for anything to do with EVs.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
do you think people didn’t say this when gasoline motors took over for horses?
They did not. No one was banning horses.

Gas cars didn't take off until Ford made the model T. It was cheaper and easier to maintain than a horse and buggy.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They did not. No one was banning horses.

Gas cars didn't take off until Ford made the model T. It was cheaper and easier to maintain than a horse and buggy.
EVs didn’t take off until Tesla made them useable, an ev is cheaper and easier to maintain than an ICE vehicle.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Truth right here, anyone trying to even remotely assert that EVs are somehow going to fail is full of shit.

Seriously, it is so tiring to see people here and everywhere else parrot the same conspiracy theory level nonsense about how “they’ll all see” when the EVs come and how “the power grid can’t handle it”.

Yeah the power grid of the 90’s couldn’t handle the load of air conditioners in June of 2022. We upgrade and build better things, EVs are here to stay ICE engines are obsolete as commuter cars and soon they will be obsolete for performance cars.
"We upgrade and build better things". You got it!

1862: He (President Lincoln) signed the Pacific Railway Act into law on July 1, 1862, committing federal resources to the ambitious plan to build a continuous rail line from the Atlantic to the Pacific. By the decade's end, the railroad would be completed.

1914: When the 77 kilometre-long Panama Canal officially opened in 1914, after 10 years of construction, it fulfilled a vision that had tempted people for centuries, but had long seemed impossible.

1962: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.["

2022: EVs? Power grid? The impossible is what we do! And often in less than 10 years.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
EVs didn’t take off until Tesla made them useable, an ev is cheaper and easier to maintain than an ICE vehicle.
Not so fast man. I'm not a V8 elitist nor am I an electric fanboy. But I am a realist.

Cost of ownership is a more important factor here. Until the purchase price of an EV comes down, the cost of ownership is in favor of the ICE vehicle. Yes, some EVs get tax incentives, but we will see how long those incentives hang around when more manufacturers have a lineup of EVs and when people are forced to buy EVs.

You also have to factor in other variables like a charging setup at home if your current home isn't up to the test. Some charging stations charge by the minute instead of per kWh. Hopefully the government will standardize all this soon. I don't believe that batteries will EVER be able to charge as fast as filling up a tank of gas for your car. Even if we say it takes 10 minutes to fill up your tank, I don't see any kind of charger being capable of matching or beating that. Fast charging absolutely wrecks batteries after years of recharging cycles. Honestly, the chemical makeup of a battery needs to be changed to counteract this.

On the positive side, EVs bring some welcomed changes. Noise pollution is lessened, eventually oil spills should be a thing of the past (oil spills are absolutely devastating to the marine ecosystem), and less maintenance cost at least up front (this depends on how long you keep the vehicle. If you keep the vehicle too long, you risk having to replace something expensive like batteries or components related to batteries). I'm sure there are more advantages too.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
"We upgrade and build better things".
Only we are shutting off perfectly good power plants and at the same time increasing demand. A recipe for disaster.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I see we have gained some pro EV voices. Hereis the thing. The 800 pound whatever in the room. If the EV is such a better vehicle why does it need mandates and government grabs taking money from others (incentives) to get along? Even with the looming mandates and incentives the sales of EV's is not that great.
Thing is if there is a genuinely better vehicle for going from A to B at a decent money value it will not need mandates nor incentives. I do a lot of A to B driving and am keen on saving money. I have been checking out hybrids since 2001. They got better but never as good as ICE vehicles i could buy cheaper even with rebates/incentives.

Here is the kicker. The only worthy value of EV's might be if they truly would be a step toward saving the environment. Sad truth is that claim is so very much smaller than as advertised. I can post links to a Volvo study between similar Volvo cars. One EV and the other ICE. You have to drive the EV roughly 68,000 miles before it breaks even with the ICE on environmental impact.
My 2004 Chevy Silverado has 64,000 miles on it. I am still ahead of an EV. Note- the study, as i recall, did not get into battery pack replacement or disposal. NOTE #2 - as was posted recently there can be a disposal cost of $6/pound on the old battery packs which can add up to many thousands of $$$$.
My 2001 Nissan has 133,000 miles and likely would have at least one battery pack replaced by now. Still on the original engine. Stil not an oil burner. Still gets nearly 35MPG overall average. No major work. Throw in a battery pack on a 22 year old EV and my guess is the ICE is close to the EV in environmental impact. The ICE will be lighter so will use fewer tires, struts and brake materials.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Just like with Dodge who cannot keep up with V8 demand yet they have discontinued it 100% because of penalties.

You expect major CAFE regulations by the end of this decade. The last ICE cars on the road sold new will be 4/6 cylinder hybrids. I am predicting right now by 2030s you won`t even want to own a ICE car anymore. As they will be terrible.
Stellantis couldn't continue to afford the penalties across the aggregate of their product lines. They had the worst corporate CAFE of all manufacturers selling in America. They've been woefully behind the times in all their lines, e.g. Dodge, Ram, Jeep, and it was killing them. Further, the bulk of Stellantis is focused on Europe and that will dictate the platform options (3 of them) for all their products. Everything was aligned against the current platforms.

If CAFE keeps going up and beyond the big jump already in place for 2026, I agree the V8 is eventually dead. However, a lot can be done with turbo-charged 4/6 engines and they will still be around in some product lines well into the next decade. My current Mazda turbo-charged 2.5L is quite the beast actually and I have been impressed. I am guessing Mazda will keep the ICE MX-5 around a long time.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Stellantis couldn't continue to afford the penalties across the aggregate of their product lines. They had the worst corporate CAFE of all manufacturers selling in America. They've been woefully behind the times in all their lines, e.g. Dodge, Ram, Jeep, and it was killing them. Further, the bulk of Stellantis is focused on Europe and that will dictate the platform options (3 of them) for all their products. Everything was aligned against the current platforms.

If CAFE keeps going up and beyond the big jump already in place for 2026, I agree the V8 is eventually dead. However, a lot can be done with turbo-charged 4/6 engines and they will still be around in some product lines well into the next decade. My current Mazda turbo-charged 2.5L is quite the beast actually and I have been impressed. I am guessing Mazda will keep the ICE MX-5 around a long time.
Yea I totally believe automakers will be pumping out 4/6 cylinder turbo/hybrid engines worldwide for years even beyond 2035. But those engines are going to be quiet, efficient, and numb to drive. I would honestly rather drive a electric car at that point.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
We can fix that at the voting booth.
In my opinion its already set in stone. Automakers worldwide put to much money into EVs. Its coming and it doesn't matter who the president is. I also believe its backward thinking to not compete with China in producing the best electric cars on the market.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Has nothing to do with the President, although it helps, but congress can reign in the EPA

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has nothing to do with the President, although it helps, but congress can reign in the EPA
But why reign in the EPA? Climate change is creating havoc already and progressive countries are already shifting their priorities. Saudi Arabia is looking to spend a ton of money on hydrogen among other things to diversify away from oil they know will only be produced in reduced quantities in the future. Almost all of Europe is doing likewise....the Russians an obvious knuckle dragging exception. We all need to be on board with this transition. The only objection I have is the rate of change.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We can fix that at the voting booth.
The USA is already a laggard in average mileage per gallon relative to all?most? of the world. It is time to be part of the overall solution.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
In my opinion its already set in stone. Automakers worldwide put to much money into EVs. Its coming and it doesn't matter who the president is. I also believe its backward thinking to not compete with China in producing the best electric cars on the market.
Hello; Forgoing the numerous issues with EV's on the road the single biggest issue is outside the EV. That issue is how to charge up the battery packs. For the foreseeable future that power will come from fossil fuels.
Also since a major component of an EV is the battery pack we will not be competing with China for a key and major part of the EV. That being the minerals to make a battery. China being a major supplier of those minerals. Might be better described as us having EV's assembled in the USA?? We may be able to build the chassis and shell of the EV with our own steel and such, but will have to import most of the battery materials. That assumes battery assembly plants are built in country.

Side note of speculation off the top of my head; The coming 15% corporate tax may be enough to discourage new companies in the USA. Companies may move away again just as they did in the past.
Sponsored