V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Don't forget burning wood gives off "Co2" plus who know how much more harmful substances. Can't see the forest for the trees.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Don't forget burning wood gives off "Co2" plus who know how much more harmful substances. Can't see the forest for the trees.
Hello; As I suspect you already know wood is less energy dense than coal. Takes a lot more wood to get the same BTUs.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
The EV market will be in trouble soon. So, I am not worried about the V8. Trust me :)
I tend to agree--this move to EV is going too fast, as the only investors in this industry is the government.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Hello; In the automobile world a new model might take years to develop. So, a vehicle to be for sale in eight years may already in the planning stage. With the current inflation it does not seem likely a new vehicle will be less expensive.

Interesting that you pick 2014 and up. The hybrid battery/ICE have been on lots since around 2000-2001. I know because I was shopping at the time and looked them over. That was nearly 23 years ago. There has been progress to be sure but not that much with the hybrids. I watch motor trend TV on PBS Saturdays. The newest hybrids do not have impressive mileage over the earlier ones. Incremental improvements due to federal mandates for stuff added which often worsen fuel economy.
I owned a 1972 Porsche 914 which got over 40 mpg. I owned a 1985 Honda Civic HF which got over 40 mpg. Both non hybrid.

I see others see thru the "future will be wonderful" spiel some are posting. It is not wise to stake our survival on technology which does not yet exist but will some day. I am old enough to have seen many promises of a future golden age which never came about. You keep the solid base that works going until a new base is proven to be solid. You do not step off a solid base with the hope the new base, not yet in place, will be there.

As for the manufactures subsidizing future EV's to make them affordable. That plan has lots of holes in the plot. Sure every now and then a company makes a model on which they lose money but that was not the plan. Grocery stores will advertise a "loss-leader" at a lower price just to get us into the store. The plan is we will spend on other items and they come out OK.
Governments may subsidize vehicles with other peoples money and more debt but I do not see a company doing so except in rare cases. Companies are in business to make a profit.
The last two sentences are steel on target--follow the money.

If the introduction and assimilation of EV's into the market was anywhere close to being profitable, there would be an avalanche of private money being invested in this enterprise, and there is not. One must always ask the question as to who pays and who is the direct beneficiary when government subsidizes anything; it's a system of picking winners and losers.

For what it's worth I, for one, don't want any form of government being my physician, my financial advisor, or running privately held companies and corporations by fiat.

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
Get over it. iCE engines are on the way out. The vast majority of people couldn’t give two shits about engine sounds, feelings, V8s or whatever. They just want a vehicle to get from point a to b.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Get over it. iCE engines are on the way out. The vast majority of people couldn’t give two shits about engine sounds, feelings, V8s or whatever. They just want a vehicle to get from point a to b.
Truth right here, anyone trying to even remotely assert that EVs are somehow going to fail is full of shit.

Seriously, it is so tiring to see people here and everywhere else parrot the same conspiracy theory level nonsense about how “they’ll all see” when the EVs come and how “the power grid can’t handle it”.

Yeah the power grid of the 90’s couldn’t handle the load of air conditioners in June of 2022. We upgrade and build better things, EVs are here to stay ICE engines are obsolete as commuter cars and soon they will be obsolete for performance cars.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
EVs are here to stay ICE engines are obsolete as commuter cars and soon they will be obsolete for performance cars.
Thats all well and good if they were actually better.

They forced us to use CFL light bulbs too

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thats all well and good if they were actually better.

They forced us to use CFL light bulbs too
EVs are better, have you ever actually driven one?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Forcing us away from a perfectly fine energy source is only going to send most of us into 3rd world living conditions.
“Conspiracy theory level nonsense”

You don’t actually believe this right…?

Last edited:

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
You missed the point my friend. Of course it is the same engine, but there are quality concerns when built by pissed off employees.
The layoffs are affecting salaried employees, not hourly assembly line workers. These are two completely different groups of workers.

JR

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That just isn’t to happen, we’ll build the grid up to accommodate the EVs, why wouldn’t we?
Who is going to pay for it?
We are, either through higher taxes or increased electric rates. If we use tax dollars that amounts to fascism, you know the thing "they" accused T of.

I know many who cannot run A/C due to electric costs. Are they going to be able to afford plugging a car every night? It's not like you can do 5 or 10 dollars at a time like a gas car, the bill comes due at the end of the month.

Scary times are a coming.

This battery EV thing is nothing more than a feel good pipe dream.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
No, I think what the OP is saying is, our V8s will go along the same assembly lines BUT with more pissed off, distracted, disgruntled employees scared of pending layoffs. Hence assembly line quality, sealants, torque specs, etc. will suffer. I'd guess this will happen, but hopefully Ford QC will scrutinize more carefully. Who knows. Good point OP.
It won't be just the motors.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
They may try to stop it at the vehicle manufacturing level for new automobiles - but there's no way they're going to get the V8 (or any ICE) completely off the streets or out of households.
Keep an eye on California. I bet they push legislation to ban classics or convert them to EV.

One 50s classic, pollutes more than 10 modern ICE's. I am confident they will try this among other things to get ICE off the street.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That's not completely true! The vast majority of people will be better rested and in better moods when Joe Schmoe no longer comes rumbling through the neighborhood at 3am with his straight piped V8. :giggle:
Sponsored