Sponsored

Update: pulled the trigger - GT Perf Pack 2 - ride quality???

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
The Pilot Cup 2 tires SUCK on the street but are fine on a track. They last about as long as a single potato chip at a snack party. I have a PP1 with magneride but, if I were doing it again, I'd get the PP2 and go with my current tire and wheel setup, which is a square fit with Nitto 285's all around. Mine doesn't tram on the street, handles very well, and has NO issues that I have seen with the Pilot Cups.

Mine will spend its life on the street, not on the track. I'll likely only see a track 1 - 2 times per year. Might as well set ip up for it's intended environment. Most of the PP2 owners I know haven't been to a track yet. Most haven't even bought a helmet and 4-point belts yet! That kind of tells us their actual intended use of their PP2s, which is on the street.

In my experience, not inconsiderable since I was in the original supercar era in the late 1960s, a staggered tire setup is great on a track and next to useless on the street other than looking good. You can't rotate the tires and, once they wear some, the car starts shaking and exhibiting other signs of tire distress, and there is almost nothing you can do about it short of a new tires all around. That gets EXPENSIVE. With a square setup, I rotate them every 4,000 miles with oil changes and have no issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
The Pilot Cup 2 tires SUCK on the street but are fine on a track. They last about as long as a single potato chip at a snack party. I have a PP1 with magneride but, if I were doing it again, I'd get the PP2 and go with my current tire and wheel setup, which is a square fit with Nitto 285's all around. Mine doesn't tram on the street, handles very well, and has NO issues that I have seen with the Pilot Cups.

Mine will spend its life on the street, not on the track. I'll likely only see a track 1 - 2 times per year. Might as well set ip up for it's intended environment. Most of the PP2 owners I know haven't been to a track yet. Most haven't even bought a helmet and 4-point belts yet! That kind of tells us their actual intended use of their PP2s, which is on the street.

In my experience, not inconsiderable since I was in the original supercar era in the late 1960s, a staggered tire setup is great on a track and next to useless on the street other than looking good. You can't rotate the tires and, once they wear some, the car starts shaking and exhibiting other signs of tire distress, and there is almost nothing you can do about it short of a new tires all around. That gets EXPENSIVE. With a square setup, I rotate them every 4,000 miles with oil changes and have no issues.
Although a 285 will fit the rear 11" wheel, i am a bit worried that a 285 wont leave much rubber to protect the rim... agree with you about the benefits of a square set up. Plus, my paint will thank me for a 285 as those 305's are gonna throw up some debris.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Congrats! I love my PP2. FYI, you don't need to say manual PP2 as PP2's only come with a manual transmission.

I drove from the dealership to Discount Tire and got some Hankook RS4's. Didn't take me long to sell the SC2's. I have a second send of wheels with RE71's for track.

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Couple points I agree on. Couple I don't. I totally agree that most people who buy the PP cars aren't actually taking them out onto the track. Sometimes you just want to feel good about what you're driving, and these cars when handled properly will take whatever you put at them as if they were on rails. Going into what I don't agree with - Offset depending on how it's done doesn't exhibit signs of distress, not sure if that's an "old car" thing or what, but my 18 SS 1LE ran offset like my 20 PP1 and if i'm not on the track they run and take turns just as planted as they were pre-wear. I'm sure someone could probably clarify that a bit more to explain the physics of it. I track 4 times a year on a very strict schedule, and 4 point ASM's are not always required. Personally I have never used a 4 point at the Pocono Raceway. Not sure what Texas is going to be like going into next year and since i'm new down here it could be a different story. Personally my helmet is always in the trunk "just in case." I don't honestly mind not being able to rotate the tires, as I keep a "penny" fund that I throw extra savings here and there at for when it comes time to switch things up. Nothing bad to say about a square set up that just uses larger wheels and tires as you've indicated that you do - infact it's probably the most wise and least expensive way to go. I'm just saying there's nothing necessarily wrong with going the other route.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a square setup for my track wheels but RE71's are directional so to truly rotate they have to be unmounted. At that point you could do the same with the factory PP2 wheels. Next year I might switch to 18x11 Apex and run take off slicks again for track usage.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Although a 285 will fit the rear 11" wheel, i am a bit worried that a 285 wont leave much rubber to protect the rim... agree with you about the benefits of a square set up. Plus, my paint will thank me for a 285 as those 305's are gonna throw up some debris.
Yeah you don't want to run those cups 2s on the street. They will destroy your paint right in front of the rear tire from rock being kicked up from the front. And it seems they are bad about tramming. I went with the nitto 555G2s in 305/35/19 all around on mine and love them. Very minimal tramming, but the road has to be really bad with ruts for them to tram. I also picked up some small mud/rock guards for the front tire to stop any rock damage. Spendy but they work great. I'm with on on putting 285s on those 11s on the back. Not a fan of that idea. Oh, picked up thise flaps on AM.

20200921_140544.jpg

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I put RokBlokz on the front of mine. They're pretty subtle (black car helps with that) and do a good job keeping stuff off the sides of the car.

20200922_073013.jpg

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Yeah you don't want to run those cups 2s on the street. They will destroy your paint right in front of the rear tire from rock being kicked up from the front. And it seems they are bad about tramming. I went with the nitto 555G2s in 305/35/19 all around on mine and love them. Very minimal tramming, but the road has to be really bad with ruts for them to tram. I also picked up some small mud/rock guards for the front tire to stop any rock damage. Spendy but they work great. I'm with on on putting 285s on those 11s on the back. Not a fan of that idea. Oh, picked up thise flaps on AM.

20200921_140544.jpg
I ordered the same ones.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Springs feel better but I can’t really remember pre spring. Also I’m in Florida so every street is a roller coaster

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Springs feel better but I can’t really remember pre spring. Also I’m in Florida so every street is a roller coaster
Not I95! Lol, more like three grand canyon of highways. Now the turnpike is awesome

Sponsored

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Not I95! Lol, more like three grand canyon of highways. Now the turnpike is awesome
I’ve got to try it ....I-4 is a pain in the ass 417 got a little better with the new construction the streets though sheesh holes and dips constantly I just swerve to find the better lane lol

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
My three recommendations....FWIW

1) Whatever tire you run on the PP2, take it to a good alignment shop and have the front end checked. My PP2 with 8,356 miles on factory alignment (never touched) has the inside edges of the SC2's worn well into the cords.
2) Get clear film such as Xpel installed on at least the quarter panels behind the doors. As others have mentioned, the SC2's chuck rocks like crazy and will destroy the paint on the front of the quarter panels.
3) Enjoy the hell out of your new PP2.
Some people diss it because it's not the GT350 or because the tires poke out too much....
The PP2 is one of the most fun cars to ever leave an automobile factory....period.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just upgraded to M5300W magneride springs and RTR sway bars. Car feels more rigid but not crazy on the streets in normal. Streets around here are not great either. Can't wait to see what it's like on track!

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Texas Motor Speedway is a fun day. Enjoy.

In my own experience, as I said above, a bit of tire wear in a staggered setup without rotation starts to surface ride issues, at least for me.

I am happy for you if it doesn't for you. If I ever ride in another staggered setup with some miles on it and don't feel the ride difference, I might change my mind. But, after having issues with 4 staggered setups, I just don't go there anymore unless it's on a track.

Your experience may be different, and that's good for you. Enjoy. Cheers.
Sponsored