1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Ok is it just me or are the rear calipers on the PP gt's just ugly. What are you guys doing to make them look better?
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
What...? Must just be your opinion. Are you upset they do not match the fronts? Lol.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Ok is it just me or are the rear calipers on the PP gt's just ugly. What are you guys doing to make them look better?
They are both unattractive. I would be nice, also, if you could order different colors like the Corvette.

They are on my upgrade list along with the no-gloss black lower grille.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah you’re right... they’re ugly. My wife has a Hyperblue STI and the calipers are gloss black with white STI bashing on both the front and rear. They are a lot prettier than mine. Don’t mind the Brembos up front although they aren’t gorgeous... but the rears look horrible especially considering I lived in Michigan for three years.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I could care less what they look like, I just wish they'd have put a 4 - piston caliper with a good sized pad back there like they did on the Shelby. I track my car regularly and have yet to have a problem with them but the pad wear is higher than it could be with a bigger brake.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Dodge Scat Pack cars even have decent looking brembo rears which match the fronts. and have option to have both them stay black or come in red.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A brake caliper is a caliper as far as function... sure caliper designs, piston quantity, hose connections and mounting brackets may be different, but if Dodge (or insert other Manufacturer here) has a rear Brembo caliper, why couldn’t it be made to work with a Mustang S550?

I mean, brake caliper upgrades/mods have been done for years on a multitude of vehicles and posted to many auto forums... someone is bound to research and do a rear caliper swap soon...

EDIT:
See.... Chris is already working on a sweet upgrade for the rears.... LOL!
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-mustang-gt-baer-6-piston-brakes.107906/

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I could care less what they look like, I just wish they'd have put a 4 - piston caliper with a good sized pad back there like they did on the Shelby. I track my car regularly and have yet to have a problem with them but the pad wear is higher than it could be with a bigger brake.
Is your rear pad wear rate faster than the front pad wear rate? If so, I'd suspect TC and/or AdvanceTrac activity.

Norm

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
There are two major problems with upgrading brakes, especially for calipers that were not intended for your vehicle:

1 - Fabricating a bracket that will be square, true, produceable, and allow for proper operation is not easy. If it was, brake upgrades wouldn't cost a damn fortune.
2 - ABS and TC are calibrated for a certain amount of clamping force front/rear. Changing that drastically can dynamically alter a car's braking ability, and can cause dangerous situations like rear wheel lock up, due to too much clamping force and too much rear bias. An adjustable bias block would help with that, but 99.999% of drivers are not skilled enough to dial that in for changing conditions.

JR

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
There are two major problems with upgrading brakes, especially for calipers that were not intended for your vehicle:

1 - Fabricating a bracket that will be square, true, produceable, and allow for proper operation is not easy. If it was, brake upgrades wouldn't cost a damn fortune.
2 - ABS and TC are calibrated for a certain amount of clamping force front/rear. Changing that drastically can dynamically alter a car's braking ability, and can cause dangerous situations like rear wheel lock up, due to too much clamping force and too much rear bias. An adjustable bias block would help with that, but 99.999% of drivers are not skilled enough to dial that in for changing conditions.

JR
Also especially a problem with those cars that have brembo from the factory all around. some oem pads create so much dust and sometimes squeak and also do not heat up enough during normal street driving, So some resort to some ceramic pads, but results in less performance, but tries to solve the dust issue of making wheels very dirty.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you want pretty on the rear axle, get some attractive bling bling wheels.

The brakes are not where you want to trade off Form over Function. Wheels are the pretty part, focus on those.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah Dodge Scat Pack cars even have decent looking brembo rears which match the fronts. and have option to have both them stay black or come in red.
Having a properly matched set of calipers is not referring to appearance.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also especially a problem with those cars that have brembo from the factory all around. some oem pads create so much dust and sometimes squeak and also do not heat up enough during normal street driving, So some resort to some ceramic pads, but results in less performance, but tries to solve the dust issue of making wheels very dirty.
I'll give you that OE pad dusting is sometimes too severe for some drivers, and the usual path from there is to resort to ceramic pads with less bite/stopping power to go along with the less dust.

But I doubt that any car mfr's OE pads need much heat in them to work (at a bare minimum) well enough to meet FMVSS standards. This is something that has to be certified as meeting requirements.

Norm
Sponsored