Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Baer 6 Piston Brakes

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
39914.jpeg
Thought I'd post up my soon to be installed Baer 6S brake system. My 2018 GT PP obviously has the factory 6 piston Brembo front brakes, but I find them to be lacking feel and bite. I'll be installing these calipers on both front and rear with 15" two piece rotors on all four corners. I'll post up pictures once they are installed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I agree the stock Brembo's are good, but nothing like the Baer 6s. There's a lot to be gained with the rear's as well. Having had the Baer 6's on my previous car, I can tell you for certain there's an enormous difference. Pulling nearly 25lbs of unsprung weight off the front alone is a nice bonus as well.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Why would you notice a difference? The pressure coming from the master isn't changing, and the rotor size isn't changing. I HIGHLY doubt baers are better than brembos.

However, it's your car.

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Caliper rigidity is a big factor. Much less deflection than the cast aluminum Brembo caliper. Curved vein rotors that pump air/shed heat much better along with the aluminum hat that augments further.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The iron disc/aluminum hat design probably does more to break up the heat conduction path from really hot rotor discs to things that don't particularly like a lot of heat like hub bearings than anything else.

It's not even that the hat is aluminum so much as it's the thermal discontinuity provided by the hat and the disc being two separate pieces.

Norm

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've read more bad reviews about Baer than I have about the PP brakes. I use mine pretty hard as the track I most often run is very technical and hard on brakes, I've yet to have any issues with them of any kind. They just work, really well. I can think of a lot more important things to spend money on than brakes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can’t wait to see your results and tech regarding the Baer upgrade Chris, especially the rear caliper upgrade!

I had a prior 1990 Mustang 5.0 notch that I had modified and with that vehicle, I also installed a complete Baer brake system... never an issue and never a mechanical problem with the calipers. That system was also tied into a Wilwood brake proportioning valve, 94 Cobra front and rear discs, all stainless braided brake lines and I upgraded the original POS booster/MC to that of a 93 Cobra (similar to the 94/95 Cobra booster/MC).

That Baer system easily stopped that mid 10-sec car with absolutely no issues.

——————
If after upgrading brake calipers and there’s issues, then the only blame is placed on the installer who either didn’t upgrade other vital parts, had mismatched parts, improper brake portioning or didn’t bleed the system properly. Sure Manufacturer parts can prematurely fail, but I’ve never heard of tons of Baer brake caliper failures or ill performance.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With pads that have enough bite (and temperature capability) there isn't as much need to swap calipers. High-mu pads simply don't require as much pedal pressure for a given amount of stopping power, which means lower caliper-spreading forces. Higher temperature capability means you're less likely to run into pad fade, where you'd find yourself standing on the brake pedal for all you're worth in the hope of getting at least a little braking (while having somewhat more success at spreading the calipers).

I get that a Fox-body needs more help in the braking department, as I don't think many (maybe any) of those cars got more than 11" and 10" rotors. But just because a brake setup works without issue in dragstrip use (where you're making only one moderately hard stop from 130 mph at a time, followed by a significant cool-down period) does not guarantee that the same setup will work in a road course environment where you're hard on the brakes maybe three times every minute, and doing that for 20 consecutive minutes (or more) at a time.

Norm

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
So... are you selling your old PP setup? I'm game if you are :)

Sponsored

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
Why would you notice a difference? The pressure coming from the master isn't changing, and the rotor size isn't changing. I HIGHLY doubt baers are better than brembos.

However, it's your car.
Those baers are surely better than the factory brembos. Factory calipers aren't like the typical race brembos you would buy. Not saying they are bad, just "middle of the road" . A real set of brembos and rotors is the same or more than the whole performance package cost.

But the mere fact that we are talking about 15" rotors , that's a pretty dang good sized rotor. I don't know how much performance increase will be seen. But I still believe them to be a better caliper

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The size(s) of the pistons in those calipers may well be different. Meaning a different amount of force clamping the pads against the rotors for a given amount of pedal force/brake line pressure. If this happens by different amounts, front vs rear, the brake balance will shift as well.

Norm

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I would have saved that cash and just upgraded the front rotors to the Baer and gone with the GT350 Brembos in the rear.

The GT350 brake setup front and rear is a huge improvement alone compared to GTPP setup.

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I would have saved that cash and just upgraded the front rotors to the Baer and gone with the GT350 Brembos in the rear.

The GT350 brake setup front and rear is a huge improvement alone compared to GTPP setup.
That may have been a good option, but I wanted to make sure it was a balanced setup and looked good. Does anyone know if the front PP Brembo caliper is the same as the GT350 front Brembo caliper? I know there are different levels of the Brembo's, so was curious if there was a difference? If they are the same, Adding the GT350 rears might be a fantastic upgrade to the factory PP Brakes.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
That may have been a good option, but I wanted to make sure it was a balanced setup and looked good. Does anyone know if the front PP Brembo caliper is the same as the GT350 front Brembo caliper? I know there are different levels of the Brembo's, so was curious if there was a difference? If they are the same, Adding the GT350 rears might be a fantastic upgrade to the factory PP Brakes.
They are different. GT350 uses a different Brembo caliper which was designed specifically for the Shelby. It also uses a 15.5” 2pc rotor as well. The rear 2pc rotors almost share the same diameter as the GTPP fronts, def a huge upgrade.
Sponsored