Sponsored

Two Additional Things I Do

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
There have been two things I have always done with all of my performance cars which have always made sense to me. Before the Shelby, I had many Corvettes including C4 ZR-1, C6 ZR1, C5 Z06, 2 C6 Z06s. Many of them were modified by folks like Lingenfelter, Katech...

The two things are: When returning home and putting the car in the garage, I raise the hood to help quickly evacuate the tremendous heat that builds up under the hood once the car is shut down; and I have always changed oil (synthetic) after about 2500 miles of street driving or after any track event.

I do these things now with the Shelby, on top of the not let it idle to warm up, frequent level checks, not running over 3500 RPM until oil temps are up.

I have no idea if these things are any more helpful than if I would sprinkle garlic powder on the car to deter Vampires, but it gives me a little extra piece
of mind....
Sponsored

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
There have been two things I have always done with all of my performance cars which have always made sense to me. Before the Shelby, I had many Corvettes including C4 ZR-1, C6 ZR1, C5 Z06, 2 C6 Z06s. Many of them were modified by folks like Lingenfelter, Katech...
My first hot-rod Ford motor that I bought was built by Holman-Moody. :)

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Your money and your peace of mind, but the 2,500 mile oil changes are a total and complete waste.
You'd love what I do then... :lol:

I only have the ability to drive my R approx. 5000kms per yea (~3150miles), and I change my oil every fall before I store the car for the winter, and then again when I take the car out of storage. Yes, I put brand new oil in the car in the fall, and then do another oil change upon taking it out of storage.

Why? I treat it similar to a bike engine. I use the second oil change in the spring to ensure that I have the greatest chance to flush out any residual particles that may not have come out at the very end of the last oil change.

Considering I plan on keeping this car for life, it is extra peace of mind and certainly can't hurt.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You'd love what I do then... :lol:

I only have the ability to drive my R approx. 5000kms per yea (~3150miles), and I change my oil every fall before I store the car for the winter, and then again when I take the car out of storage. Yes, I put brand new oil in the car in the fall, and then do another oil change upon taking it out of storage.

Why? I treat it similar to a bike engine. I use the second oil change in the spring to ensure that I have the greatest chance to flush out any residual particles that may not have come out at the very end of the last oil change.

Considering I plan on keeping this car for life, it is extra peace of mind and certainly can't hurt.
I also tend to change the oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. I believe that the filter doesn't necessarily remove all particles. I also believe that there are other contaminants that build up in oil from the engine running and it helps to get them out.

Those are reasons why I also don't run a "boutique" oil. I would rather run the manufacturer's recommended oil and change it frequently.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I also tend to change the oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. I believe that the filter doesn't necessarily remove all particles. I also believe that there are other contaminants that build up in oil from the engine running and it helps to get them out.

Those are reasons why I also don't run a "boutique" oil. I would rather run the manufacturer's recommended oil and change it frequently.
Agreed on all of the first paragraph, which factors into my reasoning as well.

I do run Amsoil SS though. Also have swapped out the transmission and differential oil for Amsoil as well. They meet all of the Ford requirements and are known to be a higher quality oil so I have no issues running it. With the preferred customer I also get a case of 12 for like $15-20 more than the Motorcraft, so it is well worth the extra money IMO.

I'm sure I could probably run motorcraft and be perfectly fine, especially considering how often I change oil. But as I mentioned I want to keep this car running on the road for the next 40-50 years if possible, so anything I can do that even has small incremental improvements could make a difference over that time span and 100K+ miles :)

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I always change my transmission and diff oils... but never before at least 30k :)

I thought of doing a transmission oil change just to see if it becomes smoother when really cold outside...
Redline is what I always used in all my vehicles and I never ever had a failed diff or manual transmission ever. That doesn't mean squat, because I did not track all of them though :)

I think it's an overkill, unless you track and car heavily; just my opinion...

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

The two things are: When returning home and putting the car in the garage, I raise the hood to help quickly evacuate the tremendous heat that builds up under the hood once the car is shut down; and I have always changed oil (synthetic) after about 2500 miles of street driving or after any track event.

I do these things now with the Shelby, on top of the not let it idle to warm up, frequent level checks, not running over 3500 RPM until oil temps are up.

I have no idea if these things are any more helpful than if I would sprinkle garlic powder on the car to deter Vampires, but it gives me a little extra piece
of mind....
Same here. I've had many corvettes and a even a euro car and I've always done about as you say. I'm picky about the oil especially.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always change my transmission and diff oils... but never before at least 30k :)

I thought of doing a transmission oil change just to see if it becomes smoother when really cold outside...
Redline is what I always used in all my vehicles and I never ever had a failed diff or manual transmission ever. That doesn't mean squat, because I did not track all of them though :)

I think it's an overkill, unless you track and car heavily; just my opinion...
I've already changed the diff and trans oil more than once. Cheap insurance in my opinion. There's no filtration of the oil in either of them and metal debris comes off newly manufactured parts.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

of mind....

I do these things as well. The only difference being that I go to 3500 miles on Ansoil.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agreed on all of the first paragraph, which factors into my reasoning as well.

I do run Amsoil SS though. Also have swapped out the transmission and differential oil for Amsoil as well.
Which ones did you go with for these?
Sponsored