Tune

BigBro GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Is it worth in to do a tune on a stock 2020 GT and if so what will I gain from it.
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Issues shifting lol.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I used to think that Ford didn't leave much on the table for tuners because the lambda is really good for max power, spark timing runs it at borderline knock even on 93, VCT was surely optimized, etc. But after spending a couple of years tuning and studying, I've come up with a list of things that I would change on an otherwise stock car:

- Modify Optimum Power Intake cam timing. I have two data points that says the Ford Intake cam timing isn't optimal for high rpm power.
- Reduce power enrichment pedal. You don't get power enrichment until 90% pedal. At low rpm this is at 100% load, so I would reduce that to 60% or less at low rpm.
- Increase power enrichment rate. Even when PE is triggered, it ramps in slow which also slows torque response.
- Increase borderline spark timing. The stock tables are programmed for 87 octane. Yes, you get knock advance but you have to wait for the knock advance to come in every time you go WOT.
- Increase cylinder pressure limit timing out of the way.
- Bump up shifts and rev limiter, maybe 100-150 rpm.
- Lower cooling fan settings. The stock fans don't come full on until 220 or 230 deg. With the stock thermostat this can be lowered to 195 deg or lower with a 170.
- Tweak GDI SOI and EOI clip by retarding both 10-15 deg.
- Increase GDI pressure from 2900 to 3000 or 3100, for slightly improved evaporation, VE, and knock reduction.
- Configure live-in-drive (paddle in Drive mode) return to normal delay how owner prefers (most want the delay longer or forever).
- Convert Sport selectshift mode to "roll race"/dyno/drag race mode.
- Copy in the latest upshift, downshift, and coastdown tables from the 2021 GT if applicable. Ford improved these immensely after the first couple of years of production.

None of the changes are dramatic, but all make a small difference over stock.

Sponsored

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
Is it worth in to do a tune on a stock 2020 GT and if so what will I gain from it.
Hey there!

Tuning your car is one of the easier mods you can do. The improvements to the 10r80 are rather drastic (if auto) and typically bolster worth in itself. There are improvements in power, but they're far more drastic with higher octane-equivalent fuel like E85.

Let us know if we can help you out. We offer the Tune Shop - a mix of different tunes.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/custom-tuning-process

LethalSteveG

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Saleen Yellow Label
Honestly, yes.

Ford's stock tune is pretty stout for sure but the mid-range is left to be adjusted 100% That is where tunes pick up the most. They do see peak HP too but again the mid-range will create a new animal. Besides that, shifting will be firmer, throttle response will be better, and it can even help with fuel (pending how you drive. lol)

As Logan said, we work with the best tuners out there! Let us know if we can help.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I used to think that Ford didn't leave much on the table for tuners because the lambda is really good for max power, spark timing runs it at borderline knock even on 93, VCT was surely optimized, etc. But after spending a couple of years tuning and studying, I've come up with a list of things that I would change on an otherwise stock car:

- Modify Optimum Power Intake cam timing. I have two data points that says the Ford Intake cam timing isn't optimal for high rpm power.
- Reduce power enrichment pedal. You don't get power enrichment until 90% pedal. At low rpm this is at 100% load, so I would reduce that to 60% or less at low rpm.
- Increase power enrichment rate. Even when PE is triggered, it ramps in slow which also slows torque response.
- Increase borderline spark timing. The stock tables are programmed for 87 octane. Yes, you get knock advance but you have to wait for the knock advance to come in every time you go WOT.
- Lower cooling fan settings. The stock fans don't come full on until 220 or 230 deg. With the stock thermostat this can be lowered to 195 deg or lower with a 170.
- Increase GDI pressure from 2900 to 3000 or 3100, for slightly improved evaporation, VE, and knock reduction.
- Configure live-in-drive (paddle in Drive mode) return to normal delay how owner prefers (most want the delay longer or forever).
- Copy in the latest upshift, downshift, and coastdown tables from the 2021 GT if applicable. Ford improved these immensely after the first couple of years of production.

Oh that's getting bookmarked for sure

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

That was nice đź‘Ť what is your thought on VCT tuning on FI 5.0 (Is this an added tuning advantage or is it a standard practice?) Your thoughts?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
100%, even on pump gas, juggernaut, ortiz or 5 star can do an amazing job on these cars to get some more out of it.

if its an auto, benefits increase even more.

cam timing for max power, throttle response, shifting, etc..

let me know if i can help with any way in a tune for you.

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/the-tune-station/

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
- Copy in the latest upshift, downshift, and coastdown tables from the 2021 GT if applicable. Ford improved these immensely after the first couple of years of production..
Can you elaborate a bit on what changed and if this can be applied to different model years with the A10 which I'm assuming this applies to?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Can you elaborate a bit on what changed and if this can be applied to different model years with the A10 which I'm assuming this applies to?
In 2020 they made some pretty significant changes to the maps. They moved the downshift points much closer to the up shift points. The effect is that it will downshifts to a lower gear with less throttle input. They are an improvement to the 2018/9.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

What's your take on why whipple/ roush/frpp and even the gt500 and ford gt supercar all run this at 90% pedal? Mpg? Always assumed because of the bdr/mbt lambda scaler that they did their homework and pulled enough timing out.

Another work around for load based lambda is the cold fuel table on part throttle boost situations.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
In 2020 they made some pretty significant changes to the maps. They moved the downshift points much closer to the up shift points. The effect is that it will downshifts to a lower gear with less throttle input. They are an improvement to the 2018/9.
Okay thank you for the info. :thumbsup:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
What's your take on why whipple/ roush/frpp and even the gt500 and ford gt supercar all run this at 90% pedal? Mpg? Always assumed because of the bdr/mbt lambda scaler that they did their homework and pulled enough timing out.
You’re on the right track. Keep in mind that as far as ford is concerned, these engines can run 1.0 lambda at wot all day long and the only issue it’ll run into is cat overtemp. The only reason to have PE come in is for the additional torque it provides. So they conclude that 90% pedal is where you want the torque, so that’s where you get it. But when we add a supercharger you can be at 1.3 load at 2500 rpm and only 50% pedal so it’s running 1.0 lambda. This would probably be ok if the lambda borderline correction table were correct but once you install a supercharger, it’s probably not. So my solution is to lower the PE pedal at low rpm so it kicks in around 1.0 load.

Another work around for load based lambda is the cold fuel table on part throttle boost situations.
That’s not a bad idea.
Sponsored