Sponsored

TT top mount setup 2018+ worth 24k ??? please help!

Hitani

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Practical
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
so after couple of month of research, I deiced to go with the Hellion TT top mount on my 2018 gt manual. you will see all the parts I'm getting for the build in the screenshot below. All these parts combined including installation at a shop will be about 23-24k. is that the right price for all this ? installation itself is 5k. I know I'm getting the top line of my fuel system but I rather to have something that can handle big power now for future hp increase. I'm keeping the engine and transmission stock for now and slowly work on upgrading all my suspension. my car will not see drags at all, only roll racing (rarely). What is your say on the build I listed ? pricy ? and what would be a safe max whp in your opinion with this setup ?

anyone here have the same setup installed already can shine in and give me their opinion please!

1674872691050.png
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
When I first read your post that sounded high but I added up your list and it comes in around $19k. Figure about 40 hours labor at $125 and there is $5k do I'd say the quote doesn't sound unreasonable.

Since your doing a fuel system I'm assuming you plan to run e85? I'd say 700hp on pump gas or 800 on e85 will keep you safe ish. But when you boost the car things can happen. Most will long lives at or under those power levels. Some won't. Some will live up in the 8-900s on e85 and stock engine just fine. There is always the what if factor. After you drop over 20k on this build do you have money left over to replace the motor tranny if need be? If not I would think about scaling back the build for now and do some of the upgrades to the kit later so you have a cushion. If engine money isn't an issue then get the kit installed crank it up and send that shit. These cars are a blast with a hellion set up.

LS1Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
What are your goals for the car? We installed a Hellion low mount on my Wife's 18.

It pulls like a monster don't get me wrong. But a blower would make the same or similar power and have been a lot simpler and cheaper. My .02

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
$5k for the install is not terrible (although still pretty damn high), but $19k for just the parts...holy moly are those turbos made out of gold? A good fuel system is a few thou so I get it, but that means just the turbo kit itself with no fueling mods is $15k? Yikes.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
What are your goals for the car? We installed a Hellion low mount on my Wife's 18.

It pulls like a monster don't get me wrong. But a blower would make the same or similar power and have been a lot simpler and cheaper. My .02
You are still clearly on low boost and pump gas. Just wait until E85 and additional boost. You may change your mind.

Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
$5k for the install is not terrible (although still pretty damn high), but $19k for just the parts...holy moly are those turbos made out of gold? A good fuel system is a few thou so I get it, but that means just the turbo kit itself with no fueling mods is $15k? Yikes.
The turbo kit with headers and ball bearing/stainless upgrades is about $11-12k. $4k for fuel system and injectors, $1200-1300 for remote tuning session. Close to $2k for the other additional items. It all adds up.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Dropping it off and picking it up all done, I don't think it's out of line. Everything is expensive now. If you could install yourself, it's significantly less expensive.

I'm not sure you need the ball bearing upgrade. My "cheap" journal bearing turbos trapped almost 150mph the first and only time I've been to the track. Don't let a journal bearing turbo scare you.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The turbo kit with headers and ball bearing/stainless upgrades is about $11-12k.
I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying that's an insane price when you think about it.

But hey, some people got money and buy this stuff.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying that's an insane price when you think about it.

But hey, some people got money and buy this stuff.
It's a little pricey yeah but hey, it's a hell of a deal in comparison to other platforms. Everyone else either gets hit with the platform tax or needs at least motor work to do the same thing.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Get bigger injectors IMO maybe FIC 1440's if your tuner likes those. Only reason to go this turbo route is if you want like 1200+ hp eventually. May as well build the motor if you want that too though while its being done.

Whipple gen 5, or VMP odin will be like half the price, much less complex, and capable of 1000+ hp if you run e85, easily capable of blowing the stock motor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Get bigger injectors IMO maybe FIC 1440's if your tuner likes those. Only reason to go this turbo route is if you want like 1200+ hp eventually. May as well build the motor if you want that too though while its being done.

Whipple gen 5, or VMP odin will be like half the price, much less complex, and capable of 1000+ hp if you run e85, easily capable of blowing the stock motor.
Just ensure the tuner is willing to choke the injectors below minimum pulse width. FIC and ID both have stated limits on both ends and if you violate them you violate their warranty/replacement policy.

Injectors is one of the few parts where it doesn't make complete sense to over shoot because it does create idle issues with rich conditions, ESPECIALLY if you're running anything like E70. Buddy of mine is going through this with his ID1700's. At idle and ID's stipulated minimum pulse width he runs rich if he doesn't get pure E85 (which is quite common at many pumps).

If you buy something respectable (like ID) then you shouldn't get burned too badly on swapping/reselling them for a bigger injector once it becomes an absolute necessity.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I guess DI helps out with these kinds of problems nice the upper injectors aren't on until certain conditions are met.

Thank God I can run the big boys lol

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I guess DI helps out with these kinds of problems nice the upper injectors aren't on until certain conditions are met.

Thank God I can run the big boys lol
Didn't even consider that. Yeah, for those of us with 8 squirters, having elephant pizzles makes idle more problematic. Then again, with the contribution of the DI, don't the gen3 guys get away with smaller PI injectors?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Didn't even consider that. Yeah, for those of us with 8 squirters, having elephant pizzles makes idle more problematic. Then again, with the contribution of the DI, don't the gen3 guys get away with smaller PI injectors?
Yes you need less injector to make the same power. 1300x can make 1200 wheel i believe

OP
OP
Hitani

Hitani

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Practical
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

My ultimate goal is to push at least 1200hp but I know for that I need engine block upgrade and transmission build. For now, with the mods I listed, I will be happy from anywhere between 650 to 750whp.
what supporting mods did you get for your low mount ? and what was your total cost if you dont mind me asking ?
I'm choosing the top mount because I always liked the look of it plus love the turbo sound lol
Sponsored