Sponsored

Trim restorer and protectant

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Does anyone here have experience with any of the trim restorers on the market (e.g., cerakote trim coat, ceratrim, lithium trim cubes, wipe new)? I’m quite happy with 303 on the lower trim of my car but would like something longer lasting on the cowl panel.
Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Paging Dr. @DFB5.0, paging Dr. DFB

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mike: I have used 303 for many years and still do on areas like the pickup's foldable bed cover but, for trim around doors, mirrors, etc., I like Chemical Guys VRP a little better. VRP = Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic. VRP dries while 303 wipes off, but stays wet.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Does anyone here have experience with any of the trim restorers on the market (e.g., cerakote trim coat, ceratrim, lithium trim cubes, wipe new)? I’m quite happy with 303 on the lower trim of my car but would like something longer lasting on the cowl panel.
You can deal with this with a number of products, and it will depend on how bad they present.

I actually really like 303 on trim like this, but it's effect will not last very long owing to it's water based formula.

Another product I like on trim is Carpro Reload. It's effect will not be massively different, just a richer shade of black. This would suit trim already in decent condition and will last 4-6 months.

IMG-4868.jpg

(Reload treated side on the right.)

IMG-4869.jpg

apr163.jpg

Carpro DLUX is also a good product to use for trim, it can protect and prevent UV damage or bring back faded trim. This is a longer term solution.

(16) Faded Plastic Trim Pieces? Try This! - YouTube

cpd5050.jpg

IMG-6860.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

Another option would be Solution Finish. This is a permanent solution to already faded trim.

(16) Restore Faded Running Boards | How To Use Solution Finish - YouTube

solfin101.jpg

All of those products leave trim with a matte/satin sheen with no greasy/oily/shininess at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You can deal with this with a number of products, and it will depend on how bad they present.

I actually really like 303 on trim like this, but it's effect will not last very long owing to it's water based formula.

Another product I like on trim is Carpro Reload. It's effect will not be massively different, just a richer shade of black. This would suit trim already in decent condition and will last 4-6 months.

IMG-4868.jpg

(Reload treated side on the right.)

IMG-4869.jpg

apr163.jpg

Carpro DLUX is also a good product to use for trim, it can protect and prevent UV damage or bring back faded trim. This is a longer term solution.

(16) Faded Plastic Trim Pieces? Try This! - YouTube

cpd5050.jpg

IMG-6860.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

Another option would be Solution Finish. This is a permanent solution to already faded trim.

(16) Restore Faded Running Boards | How To Use Solution Finish - YouTube

solfin101.jpg

All of those products leave trim with a matte/satin sheen with no greasy/oily/shininess at all.
What do the above products look like on vehicles used daily (not garage queens) after a rainstorm or more though - as far as streaking, etc?

I've tried the Chemical Guys product on another vehicle on the black trim - which according to online pics (or vids) "demos" the same capabilities as you note for the other 2 products you have mentioned. Mind you this vehicle where their product was applied is always outdoors. The CG product was applied exactly as the instructions stated on the bottle in every instance. In every instance after a rainstorm, the result is the damn trim is all streaked.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What do the above products look like on vehicles used daily (not garage queens) after a rainstorm or more though - as far as streaking, etc?

I've tried the Chemical Guys product on another vehicle on the black trim - which according to online pics (or vids) "demos" the same capabilities as you note for the other 2 products you have mentioned. Mind you this vehicle where their product was applied is always outdoors. The CG product was applied exactly as the instructions stated on the bottle in every instance. In every instance after a rainstorm, the result is the damn trim is all streaked.
Trim "dressing's" will always "streak" or wash away after rain or at the next wash. Think of it like a human putting on a t-shirt to cover something up, a trim dressing is covering something. That doesn't mean they are bad products, it's just the nature of their chemical make up. They wipe on, dry and then wash away once they come in contact with water.

Trim Dressing include products such as -

303 Protectant
Chemical Guys VRP
Carpro Perl
Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer

Also, products from the likes of Chemical Guys, Meguiars and Mothers are designed to be very user friendly, so while they may be easier to apply and cheaper to purchase, they do not have the longevity. One could also make a conclusion that this is also done to help sell more product.

The Reload, Solution Finish and DLUX I mentioned are absorbed and cure on the trim rather than simply drying on the surface. Think of it like sunscreen. As such, they last longer than a dressing, think 6 to 24 months depending on use and product.

Another product I forgot to mention is AMMO Frame Pro Trim Coat -
AMMO FRAME PRO TRIM COAT - AMMONYC
(16) All New AMMO Frame Pro Trim Coat - How to "Frame" Your Car! - YouTube

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
If you have really faded plastic, the best restorer on the market is Solution Finish. If you just want to revive a little bit and protect it long term, DLUX is probably the best for that. VRP, Carpro Perl, Last Coat CeraTrim and other dressings like those will get you 3-5 months of protection.

Sponsored

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I use meguiars ultimate black for what its worth. Probably low rent, but I'm satisfied

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I love this stuff:

412bthkhzgL__66995.1605320556.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I love this stuff:

Before I sold my 8 YO Ram 1500, I got the Stoner to treat the trim after Back to Black and some Meguiars stuff failed miserably. I could NOT believe how well the Stoner worked. But........... the truck sold in a few days, so I have no idea how long it lasted or if it rinsed off, streaked after rain, etc.. But since the can actually says it lasts for weeks, I'm guessing not much longer. And since they refrained from saying months, I'm guessing the number of weeks is less than 9. LoL

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I love this stuff:

Before I sold my 8 YO Ram 1500, I got the Stoner to treat the trim after Back to Black and some Meguiars stuff failed miserably. I could NOT believe how well the Stoner worked. But........... the truck sold in a few days, so I have no idea how long it tasted or if it rinsed off, streaked after rain, etc.. But since the can actually says it lasts for weeks, I'm guessing not much longer. And since they refrained from saying months, I'm guessing the number of weeks is less than 9. LoL
I detail a few cars on the side, I wanted something quick and easy to spruce up black trims. I actually went looking for some of that Stoners but couldn't find any in stock across various outlets. I ended up with a bottle of Mothers Naturally Black.

IMG-0313.jpg

It's actually a really convenient product to use and is supposed to be "100+ wash durability and protection". This would also be very useful for the honeycomb grill on Mustang's.
Sponsored