Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I detail a few cars on the side
I think that's an understatement. Haven't you been chased out of airport long term parking on numerous occasions?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I detail a few cars on the side, I wanted something quick and easy to spruce up black trims. I actually went looking for some of that Stoners but couldn't find any in stock across various outlets. I ended up with a bottle of Mothers Naturally Black.

IMG-0313.jpg

It's actually a really convenient product to use and is supposed to be "100+ wash durability and protection". This would also be very useful for the honeycomb grill on Mustang's.
Both are spray and walk away but Mothers says 100 washes and Stoner says weeks. So, Mothers would be best for the rest of us who don't wash our car every hour or so.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
I've had really good luck with Lithium Trim Serum.

NewProduct_26_1100x.png

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There's plenty of vids on youtube that demonstrate durability. For me the biggest part of the choice is how often it has to be reapplied. A lot of the products on the market look great but don't last very long. I'd check out the wash and torture tests, unless you're a detailphile and love working on your car.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Bumping this post to give my thoughts on Cerakote Trim Restorer. I happened upon this stuff awhile back, and ended up ordering the small box (10 wipes) from Amazon. I installed it yesterday, and I'm very happy with the outcome. South Carolina is hell on the unpainted black plastics, and mine looked pretty bad after 7+ years, even on a garaged vehicle.

I ended up applying the Cerakote to all the black plastic, and it looks pretty damn good. Back to Black never quite did it for me, and it faded before long. We'll see how long this lasts...

JR

PXL_20230110_204822012.jpg

PXL_20230110_204833377.jpg

PXL_20230110_204846039.jpg

OP
OP
Mike-S550

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I agree @jacknifetoaswan . I used cerakote trim coat sometime in the late summer on all of the rough exterior plastics of the car. They still look great (car parked outside during workday and inside all other times). I recommend this product.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I tried the Cerakote and just couldn't make it work for the moldings on my '16 Interceptor. Just couldn't get it even. Perhaps too big of an area I was trying to cover?

I've been pleased with Duragloss trim Dressing. It's not shiny, but gives a natural, even appearance.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Bought this last year but haven’t used it yet. Seems similar to some of the products mentioned, anyone use this from Griots ?

610E539D-D98C-4B07-ABE7-06B59B5C0900.jpeg

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Bought this last year but haven’t used it yet. Seems similar to some of the products mentioned, anyone use this from Griots ?

610E539D-D98C-4B07-ABE7-06B59B5C0900.jpeg
I bought them last summer to try on my '16 Interceptor Utility. Speaking only for myself....

...I found them very difficult to use likely due to them being on the paper "wipes". Seemed to put a lot of product on the panel in the beginning....then very little as they ran out. Looked blotchy to me. I removed it before it fully dried. It wasn't an even coating and I didn't want to take a chance on it hardening and being a mess.

I bought mine from a seller at Carlisle who has always steered my right with new products. I was trying to do the lower cladding on the Utility, and perhaps that's too large of an area to use these on . I did clean the surface very well first.

I talked to the helpful folks at Duragloss who suggested the product linked below. I've been well pleased with all their products. I was a bit confused at first with this product, as it dries flat. It's not shiny, and more looks like new plastic.This has been on my Utility for months and still looks good. Here's a photo of how it looked when I put it on. Not a great pic...but what I have. (My wife bought a t-shirt that says, "this is the nicest, cleanest police car I have ever ridden in"....

.https://www.duragloss.com/product/duragloss-rbd-rubber-flat-black-dressing/

IMG_0872 3.JPG

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
off topic car talk...

my jeep wrangler has the hard top and will be parked outside this year in the Arizona elements. i need to clean and prep that top THEN protect it. concerned about the sun destroying it.

which protectant would you folks use?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
off topic car talk...

my jeep wrangler has the hard top and will be parked outside this year in the Arizona elements. i need to clean and prep that top THEN protect it. concerned about the sun destroying it.

If you're just looking to protect it from UV and weather there's tons of products on the market for that. Restoring the faded color and returning it from fade is a different matter. I highly recommend Apex detailing forum. Lots of great detailers that will give you the best recommendations for your situation.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
i was asking which of the tons of product to use...
You can deal with this with a number of products, and it will depend on how bad they present.

I actually really like 303 on trim like this, but it's effect will not last very long owing to it's water based formula.

Another product I like on trim is Carpro Reload. It's effect will not be massively different, just a richer shade of black. This would suit trim already in decent condition and will last 4-6 months.

IMG-4868.jpg

(Reload treated side on the right.)

IMG-4869.jpg

apr163.jpg

Carpro DLUX is also a good product to use for trim, it can protect and prevent UV damage or bring back faded trim. This is a longer term solution.

(16) Faded Plastic Trim Pieces? Try This! - YouTube

cpd5050.jpg

IMG-6860.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

Another option would be Solution Finish. This is a permanent solution to already faded trim.

(16) Restore Faded Running Boards | How To Use Solution Finish - YouTube

solfin101.jpg

All of those products leave trim with a matte/satin sheen with no greasy/oily/shininess at all.
i have reload on hand and may give that a go to protect me from the incoming AZ Summer. although i have been wanting to try dlux...

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
off topic car talk...

If the Hardtop is like this one, I assume that it's "Textured Black" plastic or Paintable Primer?
Mopar 3 Piece Freedom Hardtop for 18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door | Quadratec

Reload would work well on either a painted surface or unpainted "textured plastic". If it were me, I would skip DLUX unless the material needs "restoration" and stick with Reload, applied every 4 / 6 / 8 weeks as needed. The benefit to using a product like Reload compared to a trim "dressing" is that it wont wash off the next time it rains, streaking down the paint in the process.