Sponsored

Tri coat issue?

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Hi. Ready to order a 22 gt. Thinking about rapid red but a body shop owner told me that color would be hard to match if I needed body work. Any truth to this? Would it stop you from choosing it ? Thanks
Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes it would stop me. I have a ruby red 19 tri coat and it's been repaired due to damage at dealer. 3 people have tried but the repair does not match and ruins the car. IMO

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had Ruby Red on my 15’ EB (Rapid Red) and it was an awesome color. The right body shop/painter can properly match any color. Are tri-colors more difficult? Sure. But worrying about it before you even buy the car is just silly. Buy what you want. If something were to happen down the road, deal with it then.

519E168E-20B8-4B94-97C6-4E37963628C1.jpeg

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Hi. Ready to order a 22 gt. Thinking about rapid red but a body shop owner told me that color would be hard to match if I needed body work. Any truth to this? Would it stop you from choosing it ? Thanks
Beautiful color .don't be scared shit does and will happen unfortunately. "TRI" not worry about it . Any good shop will be able to fix it and if a Insurance claim ,you don't Accept it if your not happy with the work.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, it's true. No, it didn't stop me.
I can't tell you how happy I am that I chose Rapid Red. It looks really awesome. It's worth the (small) risk.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The other problem is that you can't really touch up nicks and scratches on a tricoat. It simply won't match. I paint motorcycles for a living and personally, I wouldn't get a daily driver with tricoat paint because it is going to get rock chips and nicks. Maybe a weekend car or garage queen, I would. But, I'm really picky and stuff like that drives me crazy. Other people, not so much...

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Get the color you want. But like others said it would be a total panel repaint. I had an estimate done on my hood because of rock chips and it was $560. I have also talk to a former Ford painter and he said that he has matched it before so I would say it comes down to who you talk to if you need a repair.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
I had Ruby Red on my 15’ EB (Rapid Red) and it was an awesome color. The right body shop/painter can properly match any color. Are tri-colors more difficult? Sure. But worrying about it before you even buy the car is just silly. Buy what you want. If something were to happen down the road, deal with it then.

Beautiful color ,I agree. It's like not dating or deciding not to be married to beautiful woman because your scared of something is going happen to her , get old ,cheat on you take all your money , probably will happen lol. Don't settle buy and get what you really want while you can and enjoy it.just be Prepared and do some extra steps and get it protective clear wrap.And hopefully Never have any serious accidents with it. If does Happens, get rid of her start over.

Dare2goBare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Ruby Red Metallic
I Havd Rub Red and wouldn't have it any other way, tri coat is very matchable given you have a good shop with a great painter. Here as you can see, my hood scoop was matched up perfectly! A Magicians hand at work! Definitely not my Hand, can't even draw a stick man... lol..lol..

20210809_135626.jpg

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes

I agree with you 100%. Life's too short to not enjoy what you like. I did TO, it's tri-coat, not sure why, as it's not metallic or pearl, but I love it, and so has everyone who has seen it. I have said this so many times on this forum, but not one person has disliked it. I think the Rapid red is gorgeous. I wouldn't skip a heartbeat if it's what I wanted. Go for it. Enjoy your life!

Sponsored

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
G
I Havd Rub Red and wouldn't have it any other way, tri coat is very matchable given you have a good shop with a great painter. Here as you can see, my hood scoop was matched up perfectly! A Magicians hand at work! Definitely not my Hand, can't even draw a stick man... lol..lol..

20210809_135626.jpg
Gorgeous color, that is a very good looking car. Mustangs have the best styling of the pony cars in my unbiased opinion. The front end and headlights look so good.

69boss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT mustang Premium
I have a Ruby Red GT, and yes any painting you want done will be much more expensive. I want to get a gt500 style bumper on my car, and a cheap MAACO quote for just the bumper is close to $2k. A good paint shop should be able to match the paint, but it is very pricey because you'd have to have a pro do it and the paint itself is pricey. I love the color, but if I had a different color all the front end work I want would already be done, because other paints are much easier to budget. So if you plan on making any mods to the body then make sure you have a large budget for paint.

Last edited:

69boss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT mustang Premium
The other problem is that you can't really touch up nicks and scratches on a tricoat. It simply won't match. I paint motorcycles for a living and personally, I wouldn't get a daily driver with tricoat paint because it is going to get rock chips and nicks. Maybe a weekend car or garage queen, I would. But, I'm really picky and stuff like that drives me crazy. Other people, not so much...
Yes, you will have chips that can't be fixed perfectly. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have gotten a clear bra wrap for my bumper. They aren't too expensive but will save your bumper from chips.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Yes, it is definitely harder to match, but not impossible and no, that fact would not stop me from getting the color if that's what I wanted.

My previous 'stang was Ruby Red and I absolutely loved that color! After 3 years of babying the paint, a minor parking lot incident left a vertical line of nicks on the rear bumper. After getting over the anger and disappointment, I got a tube of touch up paint, dabbed it into the nicks, meticulously cleaned away the excess before it dried (like OCD meticulous! LOL) so that only the nicks had the touch-up paint, covered it with clear, and finished it off with Mothers polishing compound. Was it a perfect match? No. Did it look better than before the repair? Of course. Was it still a beautiful car? Absolutely! And after a while, the touch up area just became part of the character of the car. Even though I could still see the difference in color, it really wasn't very noticeable, and it didn't bother me.

Don't left the fear of "what if" stop you from getting what will give you the most enjoyment. My current car is Magnetic Metallic, and while the color looks good, I still miss seeing Ruby Red on my car.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
My 18 Ruby Red was almost totaled with rear damage and they matched/blended the paint just fine. As others have mentioned though, chips and such would be pretty tough. Luckily I'm not too fussy about it. It's a Mustang. Not a museum piece.
Sponsored