Sponsored

Tremec and clutch biting point

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I went for my first proper drive in my RHD UK Mach 1 this week after collecting it on Friday and it spending the weekend with the detailer.

Now, it may just be a RHD thing, as we use our left hand, but did anyone else have issues with stiff gear selections where some force was required to get it in gear?

And does anyone else have a high biting point on the clutch? MIne is right at the top of the pedal travel.

I've put 400miles on the car so far and it has begun to get easier to engage gears, but it is very mechanical and there's still stiffness and resistance to getting in gear.

Is this normal or should I be speaking with the dealer?

I had an MT82 GT before this and that had a mid pedal travel biting point and easy gear shift. I expect the Tremec to be notchy but at the moment it's a fight.
wRBBcbKIQdq0VBm2Dg4rSw.jpg
That sounds like how it should be. The gear shift is positive and notchy, but the fact it doesn't have squishy bushings makes it feel kind of stiff. The clutch point is very high, to the point that two people I let drive it who are very experienced hot rod/ performance car drivers managed to stall the very first time. All of us consider it a good thing that you get used to right away. High clutch points mean you can stab down on the clutch and get to shifting faster without worrying about still being engaged.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Have any of you installed the Steeda clutch assist spring and perch? That was a pretty good mod on my 17 GT. Not sure if anyone has feedback on how it is with the Tremec or if its needed?

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX
I find it very funny how this post was approached for the Tremec vs. the Getrag. The assumption going in was that the Tremec was OK and that it would work itself out eventually. When the same type of issue is reported on the Getrag, it is an earth shattering thing and the Getrag is junk and Ford should have never put it in cars etc, etc. I don't know if I am the only one, but I do find the approach amusing for the two transmissions. I have the Getrag MT-82 and I have not had any issues at all. I would hate a notchy transmission personally, but it may be that people are being a little over critical of their cars which seems to be a theme on the forum. People buy these cars and then go forth and beat up every little issue on them, almost looking for problems. Every car out there has little quirks or some issues. For the price, everyone except Shelby Owners got a really good deal for the money.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
My Mach has been a sweetheart since first turn of the key, for me the shifting is flawless. Had a 17' GT350 and this is better shifting and clutch is more user friendly.
The car is modified for export. It is not the same as the American Mach 1. Close, but not the same.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I find it very funny how this post was approached for the Tremec vs. the Getrag. The assumption going in was that the Tremec was OK and that it would work itself out eventually. When the same type of issue is reported on the Getrag, it is an earth shattering thing and the Getrag is junk and Ford should have never put it in cars etc, etc. I don't know if I am the only one, but I do find the approach amusing for the two transmissions. I have the Getrag MT-82 and I have not had any issues at all.
Agreed. Based on the written and video reviews of the M1, you'd never think that a single person would think anything other than it's the greatest transmission in the world. My impressions were the same of the 2016 GT350; very small clutch engagement window and hard to make a smooth shift. Never had a single problem with my 2018 GT; very curious to see how the M1 feels when it gets here. The M1 that I test drove in March felt fine.

For the price, everyone except Shelby Owners got a really good deal for the money.
Oh boy... just waiting to read the backlash to THAT comment! :crackup:

BTW - welcome back! :like:

Sponsored

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX
Agreed. Based on the written and video reviews of the M1, you'd never think that a single person would think anything other than it's the greatest transmission in the world. My impressions were the same of the 2016 GT350; very small clutch engagement window and hard to make a smooth shift. Never had a single problem with my 2018 GT; very curious to see how the M1 feels when it gets here. The M1 that I test drove in March felt fine.

Oh boy... just waiting to read the backlash to THAT comment! :crackup:

BTW - welcome back! :like:
I guess I should qualify the statement by saying that for one, they are selling for way over invoice right now, so that is not a great deal. For two, honestly, I just think the cost is way high. Think about it....you can take a nice GT or GT Premium, add a supercharger, CAI, bigger wheels, Shelby hood and body kit and still come out signficantly cheaper and have a similar performing car.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I guess I should qualify the statement by saying that for one, they are selling for way over invoice right now, so that is not a great deal. For two, honestly, I just think the cost is way high. Think about it....you can take a nice GT or GT Premium, add a supercharger, CAI, bigger wheels, Shelby hood and body kit and still come out signficantly cheaper and have a similar performing car.
Ah, I misunderstood, thought you meant GT350 owners, not Shelby GT owners!
Sponsored