Sponsored

Transmission thud/clunk

Barrybdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi all, new to the forums and I just picked the car up on Friday. It’s a 2017 that was sitting on the showroom floor for 250 days or so and I picked it up with 6 miles on it.

Anyways, there’s a slight thud from the transmission when I go into 3,4,5, but it’s intermittent. Another issue I had earlier today was not being able to get into reverse after many repeated attempts. Revving the motor then putting it into gear finally got her to go in to reverse. I’ve but 300 miles on the car and everything has been great except for these small issues.

Any ideas on the thud? Sounds almost like a quiet “boom”.

Cheers.
Sponsored

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi all, new to the forums and I just picked the car up on Friday. It’s a 2017 that was sitting on the showroom floor for 250 days or so and I picked it up with 6 miles on it.

Anyways, there’s a slight thud from the transmission when I go into 3,4,5, but it’s intermittent. Another issue I had earlier today was not being able to get into reverse after many repeated attempts. Revving the motor then putting it into gear finally got her to go in to reverse. I’ve but 300 miles on the car and everything has been great except for these small issues.

Any ideas on the thud? Sounds almost like a quiet “boom”.

Cheers.
Not too sure about the thud. But if your car wont go in reverse put it into 1st and release the clutch to the engage point. Then go to reverse and it will go in.

These cars are not nearly as bad as the T56 in my Terminator. That car would not like going into reverse at times unless you popped the car forward and inch or two. Then it would pop right in.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Congrats on the purchase!

So hard to be sure on noises. It could be a characteristic of the car and they all make the noise but most people don't hear it. Or it could be a problem. From your description I'm thinking the sound is coming from the clutch/dual mass flywheel, but who knows? My advice is to keep driving the car. If it gets louder/worse then it's a symptom of a problem. If it doesn't change it's a characteristic of the car.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When I first got my car, I hadn't had a newer manual for many years. Took off down the road and after 200 miles pulled front into a parking space to get a cup of coffee to ride home. Came back out, couldn't get the car into reverse. Thought wtf. Finally got it to go in, drove home, and pulled the owner's manual out of the glove box. Who knew they put a collar on that you had to lift to get it into reverse. No problem since.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Even when lifting the reverse lock-out collar the car occasionally feels like it won’t go into reverse. As Jeep people would say, “It’s a Shelby thing.”

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The only thud I hear in this car is when sitting at a red light in neutral, the light turns green, clutch in, shifter in 1st.......thud. Its intermittent but has been noticed on all 3 of my 350's, so Id say that is normal.

A thud shifting through the gears is not normal in my opinion. At least I've never noticed it. The clutch has a different feel than most and maybe it may be influencing the timing and operation of the pedal. It shouldn't be doing that, and I'd get a second opinion from someone else or drop by your dealership and let them go for a ride with you.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Even when lifting the reverse lock-out collar the car occasionally feels like it won’t go into reverse. As Jeep people would say, “It’s a Shelby thing.”
Yes, when new. Once the car is broken in many of these issues go away. On my TY R, first gear would occasionally pop out after starting from a stop. That issue went away within the first few hundred miles. Likewise for the reverse issue.

A thud through all the gears doesn't seem right.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
The only thud I hear in this car is when sitting at a red light in neutral, the light turns green, clutch in, shifter in 1st.......thud. Its intermittent but has been noticed on all 3 of my 350's, so Id say that is normal.
Yep, same thing on mine. I would also say that is normal.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

A thud shifting through the gears is not normal in my opinion. At least I've never noticed it. The clutch has a different feel than most and maybe it may be influencing the timing and operation of the pedal. It shouldn't be doing that, and I'd get a second opinion from someone else or drop by your dealership and let them go for a ride with you.
Yep, same thing on mine. I would also say that is normal.
I think it's a characteristic of the IRS or driveshaft. The pre-2015 Mustangs didn't do this, but every Mustang I've driven that was made after 2015 has that clunk noise. The sound doesn't change between cars with the MT-82 and Tremec boxes.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra

That sounds like an accurate description of the thud I sometimes experience leaving a light or starting from a stop. Kind of strange - actually seems to occur after the gear shift is moved to first but before I begin to let out the clutch. The thud seems to be out of sequence with anything actually happening on the part of the drivetrain. :confused:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Just keep driving it. You will soon become one with the car and things like this will fade away.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Well I head a thud, like something rolling around my trunk, when I put the car in 1st at a light, before letting off the clutch. It sounds like something is engaging when the car goes from neutral to 1st.
But what is that noise? The hill start assist? LSD? Something mechanical is making noise.

Anyone know what the thunk / thud/ clunk is?

206GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That sounds like an accurate description of the thud I sometimes experience leaving a light or starting from a stop. Kind of strange - actually seems to occur after the gear shift is moved to first but before I begin to let out the clutch. The thud seems to be out of sequence with anything actually happening on the part of the drivetrain. :confused:
I have a 17and I have the same thud. I think it’s normal.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That's sort of what I have concluded but it is a strange sensation. It does make one curious as to it's origin. My car does it on level ground so that should rule out the hill assist. It happens before starting to let the clutch out so that would seem to rule out the driveshaft or driveline lash. It doesn't seem to coincide with moving the shifter into first so that would seem to rule out a thud from the transmission syncro sliders and shift mechanism. I've learned to ignore it most of the time.
Sponsored