torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I have experienced this for a while; I hear a distinct "clunck" when hitting a pothole, even if I go very slow, say barely moving in 1st gear (as I do around my neighborhood, roads are post apocalypse quality). Seems to be more pronounced on right than left.

Otherwise, suspension seems tight, I don't hear it at speed or driving on better roads.

I checked all suspension components, nothing is loose... I know some shocks are noisy (My previous M3 was, and was nothing wrong with it, just how bushing inside the shocks was working) , could this be the case ?

I don't want to take it to the dealer and pay $$$ for nothing, I don't trust them too much... Anyone experienced anything like it ?

Thanks
Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Could be a lose sway bar link. Even if it seems to be on tight, it might be loose enough to cause a clunk when going over potholes or speed bumps. Put a socket wrench on the nuts and make them gutentight. Of course, it could be something else but if you are looking for a possible quick fix, then give it a try.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Best way to check end links is when the car is on all 4 wheels, then get under there and use a pry bar to try and shift the end link up and down. More than likely, if it's shifting, it's the connection at the strut. I have also been able to diagnose by letting one side of the car down with a jack and watching the end link connection point through the wheel or with a mirror and that way you can see it move as the car settles, which it shouldn't.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've noticed that the MR shocks make a funny noise as they fully extend, kind of a dull "thud" and maybe that's it?

I'd look for loose swaybar end links though! IIRC the factory torque spec is 85 ft-lbs or something like that, so it's supposed to be pretty tight!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
On sway bars you can typically just grab them with your hand and wiggle. I had a loose one in a 2011 GT a few years ago.

Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
R you running aftermarket camber plates? Whether you are or not the nut at the top of the strut will make that "clunk' in the situations you described. A couple quick hits with and impact will ensure they are not the issue.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
R you running aftermarket camber plates? Whether you are or not the nut at the top of the strut will make that "clunk' in the situations you described. A couple quick hits with and impact will ensure they are not the issue.
No, completely stock, nothing aftermarket apart from 6gr wheels... But thanks for suggestion, will try that.
I had that on my previous Audi, it was driving me crazy, it was the washer behind the strut nut.... It killed me, refreshed all suspension front and it ended up being a 3$ fix.

Xavierviana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2015
Hi all,

I have experienced this for a while; I hear a distinct "clunck" when hitting a pothole, even if I go very slow, say barely moving in 1st gear (as I do around my neighborhood, roads are post apocalypse quality). Seems to be more pronounced on right than left.

Otherwise, suspension seems tight, I don't hear it at speed or driving on better roads.

I checked all suspension components, nothing is loose... I know some shocks are noisy (My previous M3 was, and was nothing wrong with it, just how bushing inside the shocks was working) , could this be the case ?

I don't want to take it to the dealer and pay $$$ for nothing, I don't trust them too much... Anyone experienced anything like it ?

Thanks

Did you ever fix the problem?

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever fix the problem?
No; I took the wheel off, and checked all suspension bolts against factory torque values, some were looser some were tighter... Noise has gone away to a degree, but I still hear something on big bumps; but it is more obvious on cold mornings. I think it's the shocks also, they are noisy.

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
No; I took the wheel off, and checked all suspension bolts against factory torque values, some were looser some were tighter... Noise has gone away to a degree, but I still hear something on big bumps; but it is more obvious on cold mornings. I think it's the shocks also, they are noisy.
Solution:
Stop hitting bumps.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Solution:
Stop hitting bumps.
I mean pot holes... Easy to say, hard to do in Boston area nowadays. I cringe the moment I have to take her out of hibernation, roads are the worst I have ever seen. You could easily hide a mid size dog in most pot holes... in some there's space left for a cat.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I mean pot holes... Easy to say, hard to do in Boston area nowadays. I cringe the moment I have to take her out of hibernation, roads are the worst I have ever seen. You could easily hide a mid size dog in most pot holes... in some there's space left for a cat.
You’re not telling me anything. I live in Michigan. We have the worst roads in the country.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Pround to be sharing that award with you guys.