Sponsored

TrakkTape versus Track Armour

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
A few months ago I drove my GT500 0ver 2,000 miles and tracked it at Roebling Road down in Georgia. I used Track Armour and while it worked ok (and came off fine) I also used a much better product from 3M. They call it VViViD. Night and day better than Track Armour. Thick, looked clearer, and also came off just fine. It is the only product I'll use next time.

https://vvividshop.com/products/3m-scotchgard-series-paint-protection-film-by-the-foot
The cost of that though. Yikes. A 100 foot roll of 6" width Trakktape is $55, while that 3M product would be $700. Yowza.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lol. Try Amazon. I paid around $80 or so for the roll I used.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
A few months ago I drove my GT500 0ver 2,000 miles and tracked it at Roebling Road down in Georgia. I used Track Armour and while it worked ok (and came off fine) I also used a much better product from 3M. They call it VViViD. Night and day better than Track Armour. Thick, looked clearer, and also came off just fine. It is the only product I'll use next time.

https://vvividshop.com/products/3m-scotchgard-series-paint-protection-film-by-the-foot
How long did you leave it on and did you put it over any stripes?

This does not sound like something that's intended for temporary use, but rather an extra thin regular PPF. Thickness appears to be about half to 1/3rd the thickness of more expensive 3M film, but the cost is also just a tenth. Seems like really good value for money compared to that, but I'd be worried about putting it over any vinyl stripes if I intended to take it off later without removing the stripes at the same time.

From what I can see, vivvid is some shop that buys it from 3M in bulk and cuts it into smaller sizes.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

This does not sound like something that's intended for temporary use, but rather an extra thin regular PPF. Thickness appears to be about half to 1/3rd the thickness of more expensive 3M film, but the cost is also just a tenth. Seems like really good value for money compared to that, but I'd be worried about putting it over any vinyl stripes if I intended to take it off later without removing the stripes at the same time.

From what I can see, vivvid is some shop that buys it from 3M in bulk and cuts it into smaller sizes.
That was my takeaway as well. I use trakk tape over my PPF. Although trakk tape, (which I believe is 8 mil thick), Stops most everything from getting through, a small amount of debris does get through. The PPF winds up being your last line of defense.

If you are running slower and smaller road courses, the need for trakk tape is overkill, but on the faster courses when you are on someone's ass, your car is getting sand blasted.

The below images are trakk tape being removed from over PPF.

20191209_112417.jpg

20191209_112351.jpg

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Nope, did it last 2 track days.. I only cover my front stripes and mirrors as they take the beating, I have 3M film on the bumper otherwise. I applied liberally across the PPF film, came off with no issues.
I removed it at cold, if you warm it up a tad, even easier. Ignore my previous post about trakktape, I have track armour, just checked...
Thanks...very helpful info.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

I didn't have it on for long but I read every review I could find and they were all pretty positive in this regard with respect to time, be it short or long. I cannot comment on how well it works with stripes but I can say it peeled off just as easy as the track Armour.

img_8045-jpg.jpg

img_8043-jpg.jpg

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have it on for long but I read every review I could find and they were all pretty positive in this regard with respect to time, be it short or long. I cannot comment on how well it works with stripes but I can say it peeled off just as easy as the track Armour.

img_8045-jpg.jpg

img_8043-jpg.jpg
This 3M product looks a lot easier to get off as one piece, not leaving small bits here and there, as is the case with the "Road Warrior Plus" product I've been using so far. I'm guessing it might be stronger too, though the only places I've got stone chips and paint damage so far are on the places where I thought putting on road warrior was not necessary (live and learn), but I don't track as hard as you guys.

Pricing is a lot better than the regular 3M PPF stuff I've seen too, so if pricing here in Europe is similar I think I'll order some to try on some areas where I do not have stripes. Wonder a bit how gluing stuff like this on and off repeatedly will affect the paint though. Thinking a good wash and wax first may help a bit.

Good find.

Bullitt40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350/track pak
I've used Track Armour and Track Tape at Daytona over xpel ppf and both do a good job of protecting the car. Both peel off very easy after a couple of days of track use. I would never run at track without it. The tape is pretty beat up when you peel it off. I would hate for my car to look like that. See Tomster's pic above.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've used Track Armour and Track Tape at Daytona over xpel ppf and both do a good job of protecting the car. Both peel off very easy after a couple of days of track use. I would never run at track without it. The tape is pretty beat up when you peel it off. I would hate for my car to look like that. See Tomster's pic above.
Yes, and I use black gorilla tape over the plastics as well (splitter, side splitter, etc).

For everyone else, your solution depends on your problem. If you are running on some po dunk small course where the speeds don't get up there and you are not aggressive by getting right on people's ass, you really don't need a lot of protection. Another area that people don't consider is windscreen protection. At high speed courses under the same conditions I describe above, the windscreen gets pitted to all get out.

calduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP, 2019 F-350, 1970 Mach 1, 1971 Bronco and more...
I used Track Armour to protect my car on its drive home from the dealership ~200 miles away and removed it later the same day. I will never use it again - required clay bar treatment to get all the residue fully off (so it took longer to get it off than to apply)...while I didn't get rained on, there was some dampness/wet on the road on the drive home from earlier rain which may have contributed to it being too sticky. If you put it on your stripes, I would imagine your stripes will pull off as well. I didn't thankfully (used blue non-residue painters tape). I would just use painters tape and double it up if need be, particularly over stripes and paint protection film...my two cents...

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
From what I understood,

1) trakktape on paint which also includes side mirrors?
2) black gorilla tape on splitters and side splitters

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Maybe I missed it here but is Trakk Tape ok to apply over stripes? Looks like the car I just got has PPF up to the stripes and those are unprotected. Would I need to do anything in particular to protect the stripes when peeling the tape off?

OP
OP
svassh

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
The Road Warrior Paint Protection is on. Easy to apply and looks like it will protect pretty well. Just need my tech inspection and I'm ready for Feb 20-21 race days.

20210207_134142.jpg

20210207_134134.jpg

20210207_134123.jpg

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I cannot see if you put it on the panels below the doors also, but I went off track and onto the gravel once, and that really messed up that unprotected panel. Ugly lesson learned.

Hope it will not rain before your trackdays, as I guess you're aware water is what one uses to remove that protection.

And yeah, easy to apply, not so easy to get off. But it gets easier with every time.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
ALso can't tell if you hit the area in front of the rear wheels (behind the door). That areas takes debris coming off the front tires pretty bad.
Sponsored