crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Hi,

my estimated delivery is in 10 days. While I still have a few things to take care of - like Insurance :eyebulge: - im wondering what to tell my dealer to do or not do among other things.

Since Bozard ford has received a number of GT350s, I dont think I should have an issue with splitter installation. I def. want to ask them to keep all the stickers and plastic wraps, as well as any misc. papers like build sheet...

Main question ive got is that ive got a 300 mile journey back home, more depending on how many detours I take. Ive been considering getting a roll of either trakktape or trac wrap from Xpel, and putting that on right after pickup. If I ask the dealer to not wash/detail the car during pickup - it will still be dirty from transport. Any issues in just wrapping over the dirt? Or just take it to the nearest wash and just hose it down - maybe high pressure - but not too close, let it dry and then wrap?

Or does anybody want to chime in with absolutely fabulous pickup rave [MENTION=14803]Boz[/MENTION]ard and have them detail/wash it?

Thanks!

Daniel
Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Don't wrap over dirt. Bring a bottle of Optimum No Rinse and some microfiber towels, and drive the car to a parking lot before you head out. Give it a quick wash in the parking lot and apply the TrakkTape there. From experience, I would budget a minimum of 2-3 hours to apply the TrakkTape once the car is clean.

MisterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'13 Taurus SHO & '16 GT350R
I got my GT350R (as well as all my fleet purchases) from Bozard. They are a good dealership. Don't wrap over dirt. My salesman and I personally washed the car and performed most of the PDI (minus the front spoiler). I'd bring a new wash mit or ask them to give you one. They have air hoses and what not so you can blow the water off.

Welcome to the 350 club. Hopefully I'll see you on a track with it.

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
Definitely go with TrakkTape; xpel's TracWrap is way overpriced. Also, make sure to get the 6" x 100' roll; I got the 3" roll and ran out halfway through.

OP
OP

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Thanks for the answers so far!

Yeah - def. will go with Trakktape and the 6x100 roll, its less then half the price of TracWrap. Planning to do hood, front bumper, leading edge roof, back fender edges, maybe full front fenders, dunno. Depends for how far the roll goes!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good advise.
I got the 6" and a 3" and had just enough haha.
I washed the car in their bay. Did a couple micros touch up, put in a catch can. They installed lifting rails and steeda brace. I'll do the splitter myself. I wrapped it with the track tape and was on my way to the expel installer. Car looked perfect when I was done with it. Hope the expel installer doesn't destroy it. Haha.

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks for the answers so far!

Yeah - def. will go with Trakktape and the 6x100 roll, its less then half the price of TracWrap. Planning to do hood, front bumper, leading edge roof, back fender edges, maybe full front fenders, dunno. Depends for how far the roll goes!
Definitely do the mirrors; I didn't and they got peppered on my ~650 mile drive home.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I also used the wash bay at the dealer. I just asked them if I could wash the car (just a rinse and then wipe down quick deetailer). I then applied this road wrap over it. Ugly as sin, but I didn't get any damage or chips on my way home.And it's even cheaper! I would recommend the smaller stuff (6in) for more curved areas like the bumper - it'll just be easier to work with. I did most of the hood, entire front bumper and fenders + the part right in front of the rear wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UQKPIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Take it through a bay style touchless carwash if it's very dirty.

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Why are you wrapping it? Just wash it and drive it....

I added 3M PPF to the bumper a week later to protect from track debris, may do the rockers as well.

My .02, I know a lot of people don't agree - but the finish is pretty poor on these cars, not worth the effort. Do the 20% of work that will protect 80% of it - but no reason to go crazy. If you're buying to collect it, that's a different story - spend money on paint correction and keep it in a temperature controlled garage. But if you're tracking it anyway, why stress? Just keep it clean and drive it.

OP
OP

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
To a certain degree.... I do agree with you.

However... for around 2 hours worth of work and around $70 of wrap - its worth it to me. Because of the thin paint, and the money already spent on the car - why do more paint correction than needed on a new car. Im planning to do (or have done) a full wrap anyways. For the drive back im not planning to do much more than needed, but fenders, front bumper, hood, mirrors rear quarters should suffice for the trip back. Peace of mind - its worth that to me.

But I understand your reasoning. Thats my reasoning with my daily driver, but not for this one.
Sponsored