Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
Hello all,

I have readup on traction control on the forum and it's mostly all posts. The question is, why do people turn the traction control off when they are about to run/race? I've always had mine on because it seems like the "logical thing to do". I'm pushing about 650whp and I've nailed it plenty of time with the traction control on (always) and of course there's no spinning out of control and careening into pole or something. So, with all of that being said, what am I missing?????
Sponsored

SlowyoteJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Non-PP
I could be 100% wrong but by my understanding, people turn their TC off for more control. When the tire spins, the car reduces power to regain traction so they want to avoid losing that power unless of course they have the Motec system.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll chime in, if you know how to drive you want the car to do nothing when it is out of control. The last thing you want is a throttle chop when sliding off a cliff.

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
Also if you know what you’re doing controlling the sliding with TC off is a lot faster than the computer cutting your throttle while the guy you’re racing with a lot less power than you leaves you in the dust.

OP
OP
Golgo69

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
Also if you know what you’re doing controlling the sliding with TC off is a lot faster than the computer cutting your throttle while the guy you’re racing with a lot less power than you leaves you in the dust.
Ahhhhhh I see now......thanks! Could it be hard to control with a 3rd gear roll on?

Sponsored

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhhhh I see now......thanks! Could it be hard to control with a 3rd gear roll on?
In 3rd gear I’d say no there shouldn’t be much sliding because you have a lot less torque in that gear. You might not even notice a difference since I don’t think traction control would even turn on for you during a 3rd gear roll (Edit: just realized you said your pushing 650 to the wheels, in that case maybe it would). It’s mainly launching from a dig and doing hard pulls at lower gears at high rpm’s. Next time your doing pulls with TC on keep an eye out for when the TC light turns on and cuts power, then you can see when the car would be sliding with it off. And of course when you start driving with it off take it slow and get a feel for it. You don’t want to end up in another one of those mustang crash compilation videos haha.

Last edited:

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Also having wide sticky tires in the back helps a lot. When I first got my foxbody that thing was sliding all over the place when I’d floor it since they don’t have traction control. Put some 275 nittos in the back and I can barely get the back end to break loose anymore. Lowkey kind of miss it LOL.

OP
OP
Golgo69

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
Thanks for all the input guys! I understand now. One thing that I realize now, is that I don't know the power of my car. I really have not been that impressed with the power thus far (except for the E85 and return fuel system literally just installed), but it seems like things will be totally difference when the traction control is off.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
Thanks for all the input guys! I understand now. One thing that I realize now, is that I don't know the power of my car. I really have not been that impressed with the power thus far (except for the E85 and return fuel system literally just installed), but it seems like things will be totally difference when the traction control is off.
Yeah man, you're TC is cutting power big time. Which is why you pull datalogs with TC off. A log with TC on would show the ecu change throttle angle regardless of accelerator pedal position. It's quite neutering.

You have a whole new world ahead of you, lol

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful. A driver with little experience looking to spin the tires is how we get cars and coffee videos.

Practice where there are no curbs, ditches or trees for 50ft in either direction. You may need to build the instinctual reflexes to catch slides on your own without TC and AdvanceTrak. That takes time. The rear end tends to want to get ahead of the front end when you’re playing with the loud pedal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Golgo69

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
geez......I seriously realize that I'm gonna have to learn this car all over again. Again everyone thanks for input!

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
geez......I seriously realize that I'm gonna have to learn this car all over again. Again everyone thanks for input!
As NightmareMoon stated take it easy until you get used to it. All the BMR/Stop the hop stuff goes a long way to keep the rear behind you, and no wheel hop.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The coyote mustang is the slowest feeling fast car I've ever owned.

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
Glad I read this. just had a stage 2 whipple 3.0 installed in my 2022 GT PP1 and I have been trying to get used to the power. I noticed even doing a pull at a higher speed my trac light came on at 90 MPH and it feels like it hesitates .
Even today I put it in track mode which shows the trac off , but when its shifting it feels like its still hesitating at times . I have the stock 19 x9.5 wheels in he back with 275s, but these tires are not even enough for the HP .
Sponsored