Sponsored

Track Time Limited due to High CHT

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I was bummed to find out as well that there is no PID available that HPtuners device will pull. The only way to look at the oil temp is on the center console display. You will see it read Normal or Warm, etc. Then just click on it and it will display a "color" graph.

Ford has indicated what the color ranges are. The edge of green yellow is 280F . The edge of yellow red is 296F. At the end of the session, basically at the start of the cool down lap, I toggle over to see where the temp lies. Then I write down where the needle was positioned when I get back to the pits. Terrible method, but that's all I have at the moment.
I don't have it in my digital cluster as an option, and it seems to be the same with others: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/missing-engine-oil-temp-gauge-on-2019.114940/

I can monitor battery charge, but not oil temp, duh, thank you ford :facepalm:

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I don't have it in my digital cluster as an option, and it seems to be the same with others: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/missing-engine-oil-temp-gauge-on-2019.114940/

I can monitor battery charge, but not oil temp, duh, thank you ford :facepalm:
Don’t feel bad—you’re not missing much. it’s just a calculated value anyway that best I can tell is mostly dependent on CHT

Also this is the fitting I picked up…

https://pbhperformance.com/product/...czMicBrQbwqzdVMtIyZfypBrNCb0bZ74aAsN_EALw_wcB

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
so I had few very interesting chats with Al from RaceLouvers while choosing the best configuration for my needs, will leave it out here if anyone is interested:
1) between center or side vents options, either one is expected to have roughly the same efficiency. Center vent is positioned better, but side hood vents have a bit bigger extraction surface area, so it would be a match from cooling efficiency if you choose between these 2 options
2) heat extraction performance depends on the vents surface area in a somewhat linear way, so having center+sides would give roughly double the efficiency. I personally would expect to see diminishing effect after certain point of adding heat extractors, but decided to still go with both
3) side vents position on 2018+ models is dictated by the shape of the recesses and factory vents, and they typically install center vent position by aligning the back edges (center vent is couple inches shorter). one could choose the center vent position by aligning front edges instead, but the difference is mostly aesthetic.
4) vents require about one inch of clearance from the underside of the hood (hood surface itself, not reinforcement ribs)
5) they also have covers that could be installed in place of vents in case if someone is really concerned about the water entering the engine bay area.

Since I have Roush supercharger on top of the engine, I was concerned about center vent fitment. I did some rough measurements and it seems that once everything is cut out, I should still be good. I will be doing center vent install next week and will share some pictures on how it fits for Roush supercharger usecase.

Sponsored

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 A10, 1967 Fastback 460ci+
so I had few very interesting chats with Al from RaceLouvers while choosing the best configuration for my needs, will leave it out here if anyone is interested:
1) between center or side vents options, either one is expected to have roughly the same efficiency. Center vent is positioned better, but side hood vents have a bit bigger extraction surface area, so it would be a match from cooling efficiency if you choose between these 2 options
2) heat extraction performance depends on the vents surface area in a somewhat linear way, so having center+sides would give roughly double the efficiency. I personally would expect to see diminishing effect after certain point of adding heat extractors, but decided to still go with both
3) side vents position on 2018+ models is dictated by the shape of the recesses and factory vents, and they typically install center vent position by aligning the back edges (center vent is couple inches shorter). one could choose the center vent position by aligning front edges instead, but the difference is mostly aesthetic.
4) vents require about one inch of clearance from the underside of the hood (hood surface itself, not reinforcement ribs)
5) they also have covers that could be installed in place of vents in case if someone is really concerned about the water entering the engine bay area.

Since I have Roush supercharger on top of the engine, I was concerned about center vent fitment. I did some rough measurements and it seems that once everything is cut out, I should still be good. I will be doing center vent install next week and will share some pictures on how it fits for Roush supercharger usecase.
Good info, thanks. Just remember that the hood vents are the last (5th) orifice in the system, so it will have less impact to the airflow through the radiator. Hence a smaller improvement can be expected. There is 1 scenario which that is not the case.

And that is if you go with one of those wide open aftermarket grilles which essentially has no restriction. In that scenario, the hood louver is a much bigger knob and really a must have. And you want monster vents in that case to get the air out from underneath the hood. And if the radiator is unsealed, then it's a even more important to have big vents. Also under this scenario of a wide open grille, radiator sealing provides little cooling benefit, especially if you have big hood vents to get the air out.

The downside of the big grille is an Aero hit. How much? ... no easy way for me to quantify. Slow tracks... who cares. Fast tracks and with high-speed turns, ... bigger deal.

Note that the flow is a real mess when it comes out of the fan shroud and then has to exit the hood vents. Plenty of blockage from the intake tube and hoses and misc. The center and drivers side vent are significantly blocked but the passenger side vent is open and an easy path when flow exits the fan shroud.

What likely happens is a good amt of the airflow migrates upward to just under the hood in the "gap" space and then moved downstream to exits the center/side louvers. I tried to measure how big this gap is and it's not easy. The only one I have any confidence in is the gap/distance between the radiator cap and the hood and it's about 0.9". Also note that airflow will travel out the bottom (under the car) as it exits the lower region of the fan shroud.

As mentioned previously. my fan shroud is modified/gutted and has a lot of open area, so it's much more free flowing than stock to allow the air to escape out my center vent and bottom/under the car. It cost me a little temp hit when the car is not moving, but it's nominal and not an issue. Still won't get to even 200F in stop & go traffic.

Good luck with the cutting 👍.

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1, '71 Mach 1, '00 SLK-230, '73 Opel GT
Are you guys actually running a thermostat on a track car? Uh, maybe that's the problem.

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you guys actually running a thermostat on a track car? Uh, maybe that's the problem.
Yes, running a thermostat. If I/we removed it, likely wouldn't get to the grocery store w/o overheating.

The Ford design has an integrated bypass circuit. Take a look at some pictures. If the thermostat is removed, then the vast majority of the coolant that exits the engine (hot fluid) would bypass the radiator entirely (go back into the engine w/o a temperature drop) and hence result in overheating just driving around town.

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Well you're either going to the grocery store or running on the track so...

In the old days we replaced the thermostat with a restrictor. Lets more coolant flow than the thermostat but not as much as if you simply remove it.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Well you're either going to the grocery store or running on the track so...
Leave your hard-ass routine at the door or don't let it hit you as you leave.

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Really? You take life too seriously. Jeez.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Last edited:

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I thought I would share my recent experiences with the group.

My cooling mods so far:
1. 3-row radiator (SVE or Mishi- I can't remember now)
2. Opened up the grill as much as possible
3. Tracspec louvers (sides)
4. Boxed in the radiator approximately 90%
5. Harrop style air to oil cooler

#4 & 5 I did recently since my last track day where I was still hitting CHT limp mode by lap 3. My setup is further complicated due to the stage 2 Whipple with an oversized heat exchanger.

Today I had a track day at MSR in Cresson. Ambient temps were low 90's most of the day.
In session 1, CHT never went past 235*, Session 2 I got up 250*, Sessions 3 & 4 spent most of the time around 250* but there was a moment on the front stretch where I got up to 259* but once I hit the twisty bits it cooled down to 248*. Session 5 I got up to 263*. I didn't have much of a cool down between session 4 and 5 so I think that contributed. The air to oil cooler and the boxing I did helped out so that I got some complete sessions. I never hit limp mode but I am still not comfortable with those temps and I am still short-shifting. I think that my last move is to go with a center vent.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Whelp I’m back to drawing board… ran Nelson’s over the weekend. 85f ambient and sunny. High speed high load course. Running 305 re71r hitting 235 cht which seems to be the magic number to begin derate. It’s also when calculated oil temp gets to “warm”. Up to 234 if it’s derating anything I can’t tell. There’s no warning on dash you can just tell it’s pulling back the reins.

It only does this when I’m really pushing it like 9.5+/10ths.

Gonna try going to distilled water water wetter and spend more time getting the radiator fully boxed close to 100%.

Seems like I’m right on the edge like I just back out a hair and it cools back down in seconds and removes derate.

Thought I had it concurred! Either the abnormal load at Nelson’s or ambients over 80F seem to be my problem area.
Sponsored

Last edited: