Sponsored

Track Attack Cars

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Passing...so if no passing is allowed, what happens if you get stuck behind someone that’s slower?
We were allowed to do a pass on the front straight with the consent of the one being passed.

Lucky for our group we were close so very little passing was needed. The free laps the guy faster than me was in a school GT so ended up passing him because there was a series of corners and the back straight the GT was just so much slower.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Passing...so if no passing is allowed, what happens if you get stuck behind someone that’s slower?
They suggest pulling off to a designated area to create some space.
We were allowed to do a pass on the front straight with the consent of the one being passed.

Lucky for our group we were close so very little passing was needed. The free laps the guy faster than me was in a school GT so ended up passing him because there was a series of corners and the back straight the GT was just so much slower.
It all depends on your group. If there's no idiots, if everyone can follow directions, and if there's an obvious difference in driver skills, they might allow passing by point by.

There was a dude in my group I'm convinced put the cabash on passing for us. He had some skills and said he tracked his own R, other than the fuck up detailed below, he seemed like a good guy..

The instructors said they might allow passing in the afternoon if they thought thing were going ok and that they thought the group could do it safely.

We were early in the program after the morning exercises and just getting on to the track. Three of us were doing laps following the instructor. Prior to this, we were instructed, "Like driving in the snow, stay on the tire tracks of the car in front of you, stay as close as you can to the car in front" After a completed lap, the lead student was supposed to pull to the left and drop to the back. Repeat until the instructor exits the track.

I was first in line, focused on the intructors lines and closer to him than the car was behind me to me so I thought I was doing ok. As we approached the straight away at the end/beginning of the track, I see the instructor point out his window so I pull over to the left, let my group mates pass and settle into the back of the pack.

At the end of the second lap, the second guy, I think it was [MENTION=17796]travis1978[/MENTION], now in the lead pulls to the left and we continue around. Each pass we're picking up speed. At the end of the third lap, the instructor continues down the straight away, point out his window but the guy in the lead doesn't yield to the left, I'm now in second place and can see the instructor trying to point the lead guy to the left, he's slowing down, really waving his finger...I got a bit close the the guy who didn't yield and ended up passing him on the right. The instructor accelerates and I can see the guy settle in just behind me. We go around once more, not as fast as the last lap and pull off the track and into the garage.

It's a pretty slick set up with groups of 3 cars fitting into one bay. (I'll try to post a pic.) The instructor pulls in first and the group follows. We come to a stop and I'm thinking I'm gonna get my ass chewed out for passing on the right...The instructor gets out of his car, walks past me to the second guy. I can hear some peices of the conversation but not all of it. Instructor, a bit loud with obvious irritation, "What the hell was that?" Dude, "I didn't think we were going around again."

Don't be that guy.

I don't know if anything else happened but we were told at lunch there'd be no passing..

Edit: One of my favorite pics of the garage....
Shelbygarage.JPG

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For the non paying guests that get rides at the end, they go in a GT350 and not one of the GT’s, right?

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Yup, they get about 2 laps as a passenger in the GT350 driven by one of the instructors.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
You guys are starting to scare me - is a total track novice/chump like me is going to look like a fool out there? I'm signed up for the 1 day course.

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
You guys are starting to scare me - is a total track novice/chump like me is going to look like a fool out there? I'm signed up for the 1 day course.
Yep, listen to the instructors. Start with whatever you are comfortable with, listen to what the instructors tell you, and then ramp it up. This car is extremely capable in stock form. It does massively inspire confidence, dont let that get you too cocky though.

The capabilities of this car are way above your comfort zone, so you wont have any issues. And yes, I had no track experience.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You can run the whole course in third gear if you want to. The GT350 is very forgiving. Like everyone said, pay attention to what you are being taught. Stay within your comfort zone and you will be ok.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
A top notch facility, top notch experience. A must do

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If my group is any indicator, more students had 0 track time than those who did. Very safe environment that's a great way to get your feet wet.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yeah, definitely do it and don't let lack of track time stop you. Beware, though; you'll probably get hooked and getting to the track regularly isn't the cheapest hobby (but it is the second-best hobby).

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I just called to set up my track day being that I am coming up on a year since I bought the car there was only one date available I don't know if I can do that date. I may not get the change to go.
):
Hi - new to the forum. I was in a simular situation. I called and they worked out a date that worked for me. Going in Sept.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hi - new to the forum. I was in a simular situation. I called and they worked out a date that worked for me. Going in Sept.
Hey Bob, good info :thumbsup: Welcome to the forum! Here’s to September coming around quickly for you:cheers:
Sponsored