Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to maybe use my daily as a tow vehicle.

Its a 2017 limited with the 3.5l. It does not have a tow package at the moment. Internet says 5k towing capacity. Any on here using this setup

Second questions anyone know of some crazy light trailers?
Sponsored

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
You have an issue beyond your Explorer not having the tow package. Most two axle trailers that can haul cars safely, have electronic braking. You will have to have a controller installed, along with the proper connector.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
It'll be tough to stay under 5k with the car and a trailer. I went with s jeep gc over a exlorer sport for this reason... not sure how well it would behave going over weight.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Its a 2017 limited with the 3.5l. It does not have a tow package at the moment. Internet says 5k towing capacity. Any on here using this setup

If you don't like transmission in your Explorer, go ahead....

You could get under 5000lb with an aluminum open trailer quite easily, but it will never be a good tow vehicle with short wheelbase and being underpowered. Transmission will likely crap out first.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Is you explorer a 3.5 ecoboost or an NA 3.5? If it’s NA you’d be better off getting a late 90’s early 00’s F250 or the like. Gassers are pretty cheap and will do what you want no problem.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Like most here, I wouldnt do it. I knew a guy that bought a nice 20ft bass boat and towed it a couple times with his explorer until the fatal day the boat decided to take charge and his entire rigged ended up in the ditch upside down. He wasn't doing anything stupid, it was just the right road at the right speed and conditions. Got to watch the whole thing as I towed my same sized boat with my F150.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116

Easy first-pass sanity check is to check out the white VIN and yellow payload stickers in the driver's door jamb. Tongue weight comes straight off your payload.

Keep in mind the advertised 5000lb for the Explorer (or any vehicle for that matter) is "properly equipped vehicles with no cargo".

Google "Ford 2017 Towing Guide" or hit https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Depending on your engine, final drive, and whether you have FWD or AWD... Your actual truck could have as low as 2000lb capacity.

Capture.JPG

They also use SAE testing standards which allow for only 10% tongue weight. This is the minimum safe recommendation. I personally like to run a bit more.

So to hit 5k towing you'd have to have the trailer perfectly balanced, and nothing in the cab but the driver and a full tank of fuel. A 3800lb car means the trailer can't be heavier than 1200lb. Trailex has a couple open models that are sub-1000lb, for what it's worth.

Unless you're comfortable stretching the limits, I don't think I'd do it. At least for any appreciable distance.

In general I've found you'll run out of payload before you can realistically hit the max towing capacity rating.

Agree with the previous comments on the transmission. You'd definitely want to run the extreme-duty service interval. It's going to get hot.

Last edited:

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Hey Andy,
Car is 3700 lbs leaving only 1300 lbs for trailer, spares, tools and anything inside the Explorer besides the driver.

Start adding spares and passengers and you will be over for sure.

I'll be on the hunt for an open trailer myself later this winter or spring with a goal of a 20' with air dam, tool box and tire rack with a total weight of, hopefully 2000 lbs or so.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It depends on a lot, are you just doing it once and towing it down the road a few miles?

Towing capacity is more limited by wheelbase than anything. You could have a Jeep 2 door wrangler with a 350 and a built T400 and the tow rating would still be atrocious.

Having said that, if you're just limping it and don't have to navigate up and down mountains on the interstate for hours on end, you could easily get away with taking it slow.

Bottom line, it's not preferable, but can be done perfectly safely if you're experienced and know what you're doing. Ensure you load the trailer properly because any neutral or rear bias will wag you all over the road. Don't go high speeds in windy conditions, etc, etc.

If you're asking if it's a good permanent hauler for a car trailer and car, the answer is found above....not really.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Explorers are slated all over the internet for poor towing capabilities.
I have one with the full Tow package, without trailer braking.
It’s comfortable with an empty 14ft open trailer and even when hauling light building materials or trash.
BUT.. put any sort of vehicle on the trailer and you will be struggling, a Miata or Mustang..
Braking, sway and acceleration are all hindered.

would you want to jeopardize the complete rig and especially the 350..?
For me... it’s time to man up to a V8 150/1500 truck.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Explorers are slated all over the internet for poor towing capabilities.
I have one with the full Tow package, without trailer braking.
It’s comfortable with an empty 14ft open trailer and even when hauling light building materials or trash.
BUT.. put any sort of vehicle on the trailer and you will be struggling, a Miata or Mustang..
Braking, sway and acceleration are all hindered.

would you want to jeopardize the complete rig and especially the 350..?
For me... it’s time to man up to a V8 150/1500 truck.
FWIW, the ecoboost tows better than the v8 because it has more torque

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
One thing to remember when picking a tow vehicle, if you were ever to get in an accident and were overrated your insurance company will laugh at you. They will deny your claim 100 percent of the time. Coming from heavy performance boats I’ve seen it happen many times. Many vehicles will hook on and pull something but controlling and stopping it is much more important

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
FWIW, the ecoboost tows better than the v8 because it has more torque
This - and is also rated highest for towing out of all F150s. I tow camping trailer with 3.5Eco+A10 in F150 and it's excellent for that - it actually accelerates very well (trailer is ~5.5klb).
Sponsored