Sponsored

Totaled - RIP My Love

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Sorry to see bro. Quite a shame. I'm not going to bash you or comment on what happened. Live and learn. I will say I was not a fan of the stock Pirellis either. They definitely needed to be warmed up before giving it to much throttle in my experience in the colder months. I lost traction with them quite easily about 1/2 mile from my house on very light throttle. I was definitely more cautious after that incident.
I could not agree more. These are the first Pirellis I've had since the P7's on my RX7 and they are pretty nasty. I'm ready to get back into some Hankooks.
Sponsored

Dschaefs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
Damn man, i always loved seeing your car on campus. Sorry to hear that happened.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
To the OP. First, happy you or anyone else were not injured. It's just metal and a life lesson.

Please when you get another car attend a track day event with an instructor so you can be safer on the roads for all of us.

Sign up on this WEBSITE, events are always happening. It will change and possibly save your life.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Thinking AWD will save your life is another way to cause an accident. I see people in AWD vehicles get over confident and they end up being the ones I pass running into curbs/ditches and spinning out during my commutes in winter weather. I've personally witnesses people in these type of vehicles wreck in front of me. Instead of putting a bandaid over the problem (lack of driving experience), fix the problem first even if you get AWD. Then you have a great driver AND a great car. The amount of power traveling to a wheel should not determine if you can drive a car good or not. Just saying...

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Close but not quite. Close throttle, weight transfer to front tires and off of back tires. Front tires get traction and rear tires lose the rest of the grip and you have now sealed your fate that you will spin. You can't lift completely off the gas in a throttle on oversteer situation.
YES you can, and should.

I hate reading posts like this giving bad information that feed the misunderstanding that staying in the throttle and "riding it out" by keeping weight on the rear is the best thing to do -because it's not.

There's a reason the top professional driving & racing schools in the country (Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Jim Russell, Ford) teach to get off of the throttle when the rear looses traction, because it's the best thing to do.

Getting off the throttle does transfer weight to the front, to the tires that turn. When the car oversteers, the rear has lost grip and needs to gain lateral grip back. Staying on the throttle is asking the rear tires to accelerate -which reduces its capacity for gaining lateral grip back. When off the throttle and weight transfers to the front, the front tires have the grip to prevent the slide if the driver countersteered into the direction he WANTS to go.

Most people get this right, but once the slide stops, often cars "hook-spin" in the opposite direction because the driver does not "recover" from the slide and keeps the countersteer lock in the steering wheel and DRIVES himself off the road in the wrong direction..

Skip Barber teaches "When in doubt (of a slide), both feet out" (don't touch a single pedal) and STEER in the direction you WANT to go, not the direction you're GOING. As long as you constantly look down the road where you want to end up, 95% of the time you'll save the slide. It's when you look where your heading, is where the spin or hook-spins happen.

Please learn the proper technique.

Sponsored

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
I am an engineer for the largest rubber and tire producer in the world, and the first thing I did to my car was got rid of the P-zeros.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I am an engineer for the largest rubber and tire producer in the world, and the first thing I did to my car was got rid of the P-zeros.
What tires did you replace them with?

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tires did you replace them with?
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. My EBM is a daily driver and I decided on an All season I could drive all year long with a Good mileage warranty. It is a much harder tire than the P-Zero, but it handles just as good.

They have a 400 tread wear, where the p-zero's have 220.

Nick

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next summer I'm going to try RE-71r for the rears.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. My EBM is a daily driver and I decided on an All season I could drive all year long with a Good mileage warranty. It is a much harder tire than the P-Zero, but it handles just as good.

They have a 400 tread wear, where the p-zero's have 220.

Nick
My Genesis coupe 3.8 GT had Bridgestone potenza from the factory and I may go with those tires as well. They are great all season tires.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My Genesis coupe 3.8 GT had Bridgestone potenza from the factory and I may go with those tires as well. They are great all season tires.
Same here, I had a 2011 GC 2.0T w/ the Bridgestones - I was able to get 85k miles on those stock tires (no kidding). I also replaced them with the Bridgestones mentioned above at the local Tires Plus dealer...and then traded the GC in on my EB. The new tires had less than 2k miles...(had I known we would have found my EB when we did, I certainly wouldn't have dropped the $$$ on new tires only to trade the car in shortly after).

The Pirellis suck - not just because they are not an all season tire, but they suck with traction, tread life and really are a "noisy" tire.

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
Subaru guys are used to blaming tires for their problems. Been happening since the WRX first came in 2002, blaming Potenza RE92s for everything became a meme pretty quick.
To be fair, the RE92s were indeed horrible hockey pucks. Going down my driveway at 10mph in light snow, and gently applying the brakes was enough to cycle the ABS with those.

Switching to Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds fixed it in the most amazing fashion.

The next car (2011 WRX) came with Dunlop SP01s, which were alright. I replaced them with MPSS's and had a ball until I hit a bolt on the tollway and took out the driver's side rear.

Now I'm on a 2017 GT PP, and although the Pirelli PZeros do have their limits, they are higher than the WRX's limits were, provided one doesn't plant one's foot on the floor or try something utterly absurd while cornering. The day I bought the car, it was 20 degrees F (in central Texas!). No drama. I've been driving it in 40-50F since, again with no drama, wet or dry.

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Those Pirellis are okay-ish unless it's getting down to freezing point or below. For me the first mod is always tyres, it gives you the best return for your money by far with lots of folks seeming to like the Michelin MPSS.

If you learned on a FWD or AWD car you need to approach the Mustang with the attitude that it's basic handling balance isn't understeer. You need to be cautious and learn to work with the grip and power or it may bite you.

I'm guessing more than 95% of crashes caused by "The tyres let go" are actually "I turned in too quickly", "I applied too much throttle before the apex" or "I've seen it at Cars and Coffee and thought I could do it". In the end the driver took an action that made the outside rear tyre exceed 100% of the available grip.

Of course, admitting this is akin to saying "I'm not much good in bed either" so it always comes back to the tyres. I raced a GT40 for ten years and this is one of my heroes Kenny Brack at Goodwood in the wet on ancient Dunlop Racing tyres. 'nuf said.

Surely you buy a Mustang because it needs more driving than a VW Golf?

[ame]
Sponsored