Sponsored

Totaled - RIP My Love

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To lose grip on any tire regardless but especially at that temp requires one to actually be trying to break the tires loose. Rhrottle and accelerating at reasonable rates won't cause you to lose it just because of a "temperature sensitive tire." Absolute limits of adhesion need to be met with effort. I've been daily'ing on Hankook R-S3's, a considerably more tire sensitive tire than PZeros, in recent cooler Wisconsin temps including rain, and I've never had problems with the rear end breaking excessively lose EXCEPT when I've been on track or autocross course.

I was at Road America this Friday. It was 50 - 60 degrees all day with a cold, not cool, but COLD track, and I didn't ever have a single time where I felt like things were getting overly slick. On tires that like heat...

Last edited:

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
After all these comments about no traction from the pirellis below 70degF, I am surprised nobody has complained about graining...

I think the Pirellis were pretty poor as a DD tire, but did okay on track days. I couldn't get off them quick enough and onto Nitto 555s

I don't think its the tires, I think it 400ft.lbs of available torque, a curve and a heavy foot.

maxresdefault.jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think it 400ft.lbs of available torque, a curve and a heavy foot.
400lbs of torque comes in at 5000+ RPM and while going WOT, not while barely feathering the throttle at 2000RPM as the guy is saying.

So yeah, that's another reason most of us think he was doing more than just cruising around the bend.

Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
It is not the Pirelli's I have driven them last winter in NJ and were fine. Mine are almost bald and still get decent dry traction. You must have hit that off ramp going at a high rate of speed and some serious G. Obviously the tires are not as good as brand new, but im not going to go 80 mph on an offramp with cold tires not matter what tires they are..... when it gets cold most of my fun is over, not trying to wreck my car. If you were going that fast on an offramp should get some track tires and go to the track. Summer tires are not track tires. I am not sure what you were thinking. This is why most people wreck their cars, mustang GT is not a stock track car especially with 275s and summer tires.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
I can just envision him telling the story to his Subie Bros:

"Bro <blows vape cloud> those tires sucked."

<sucks on his mod, blows another cloud>

"It was 66* and the tires couldn't handle it. I floored it in a turn and the rear end got loose. Now I know why all those guys crash at C&C, it's the tires."
Subaru guys are used to blaming tires for their problems. Been happening since the WRX first came in 2002, blaming Potenza RE92s for everything became a meme pretty quick.

Not to mention that RWD is the devil that can do nothing but spin in circles and crash. You should have seen the pages of diatribes written about the BRZ when it was coming.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Ok, enough harping on his "past mistake". Lets fix the problem (the driver) for the future, OP you should attend some HPDE or Autocross events to learn how to control your car(s) in the future. AWD makes things a lot easier, but why not educate yourself.

With some lessons & experience, how to react to over/under steer becomes second nature, and could not just save your car, but possibly save your life.

Sponsored

TheDoctor66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Name: Sylvanas
I have a 17 GT PP with about 2000 miles on it. It is surprisingly easy to drive this car normal. By normal I mean not leaving cars and coffee style driving all day every day. It is nice knowing the power is there, but you don't have to use it all the time. Like others have mentioned, tires just don't decide to snap around.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Ok, enough harping on his "past mistake". Lets fix the problem (the driver) for the future, OP you should attend some HPDE or Autocross events to learn how to control your car(s) in the future. AWD makes things a lot easier, but why not educate yourself.
With some lessons & experience, how to react to over/under steer becomes second nature, and could not just save your car, but possibly save your life.
Or,..... the OP could just drive responsibly??? :shrug: :headbonk:

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sorry to see bro. Quite a shame. I'm not going to bash you or comment on what happened. Live and learn. I will say I was not a fan of the stock Pirellis either. They definitely needed to be warmed up before giving it to much throttle in my experience in the colder months. I lost traction with them quite easily about 1/2 mile from my house on very light throttle. I was definitely more cautious after that incident.
Sponsored