Totaled - RIP My Love

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ideally, you shouldn't be driving so close to either the car's limits or your own that you can't cope with most unexpected situations. And when hooning it on a highway ramp as appears to have been the case, you should at least expect more adverse possibilities to occur from time to time. We really don't know OP's whole story, and since he's been gone almost 3 months chances are we never will.

If you don't know what to do almost instinctively to make your car behave once it starts getting only a little loose - and know that you can do it - you shouldn't be trying to drive like a race car driver. If you can't tell when "a little loose" is starting to happen, you're going to fast or too hard for what your skill set can support. Yes, this means that you have to be aware of how close you might be crowding the above-mentioned limits at any given moment any time you aren't driving really 'easy'. Know your car. Know yourself.

Norm
Yeah, this is why it's best to keep near-limit driving on the track. Several years ago, I hit an exit ramp in my previous vehicle at what would be about 6/7 tenths in most conditions. What I did not know was that the ramp was oily from many tanker trucks passing through and it had just started to mist a little bit. Needless to say, 6/7 tenths became 11 and significant understeer occurred. I was completely fine, but my car was in the shop for about a month and needed ~$4,500 in repairs after going off the edge and ripping the front bumper off and slightly twisting the body.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
While watching that video I kept saying to myself "WOW, I would have crashed there....and there....and there"; you get the picture. :hail::hail: to that driver.
That's why he's a real race car driver, and why the rest of us kind of play at being one.

So far, I've been able to 'catch' all of my 'slippery conditions track incidents' without pegging the panic-meter or painting my undies some different color, but I'm not under any impression that I could keep Kenny Brack in sight even if he was driving a Mustang identical to mine instead of that GT40.

Even a little coolant is slippery stuff.

[ame]

Norm

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
I can't wait for you to drive them below 55* in the rain. I would equate them to buttered glass.
BS. I've driven mine in those exact conditions this very morning. If you know how to avoid burying your foot in the firewall, they're just fine.

The day I took delivery of my car, it was 20 degrees F (in central Texas!) and windy, and I somehow managed to avoid spinning the car off the road.

No disagreement on the superiority of MPSS. Those will be my next set.

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
BS. I've driven mine in those exact conditions this very morning. If you know how to avoid burying your foot in the firewall, they're just fine.

The day I took delivery of my car, it was 20 degrees F (in central Texas!) and windy, and I somehow managed to avoid spinning the car off the road.

No disagreement on the superiority of MPSS. Those will be my next set.
BS new guy. Forum search on the topic says you're in the minority. Apparently most of the forum's driving skills are inferior to your own I guess. Then the problem is magically fixed with different tires...weird.

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
BS new guy. Forum search on the topic says you're in the minority. Apparently most of the forum's driving skills are inferior to your own I guess. Then the problem is magically fixed with different tires...weird.
Yes, I guess most of the forum's driving skills are inferior. It comes with age (I would hazard that I'm older than most of you). You don't HAVE to mash the pedal to the floor in the wet.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm sorry, I'm with the new guy. Your brain and your right foot are all you need to tame these tires. Anyone who has daily driven drag radials in a foxbody will tell you the same. The problem with today's cars is they tend to give people a false sense of security. Stability control can only do so much.

Don't bury the damn throttle when it's cold and wet. Don't pretend you are driving a formula one car on exit and entrance ramps. It's really not that hard people. Understand your vehicles limits.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ummm . . . forum measures such as length of membership and post count have nothing whatsoever to do with a member's driving skill level. Or wisdom and how to apply it to something as basic as throttle modulation. Maybe he is in the minority. If so, maybe the majority should start wondering why that might be, and what they could do to fix it from their end.

Better tires improve the margin you have against poo happening. For some, maybe many, that's all that's needed. But even that does not make whatever make & model tires magical.

Norm

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
That's why he's a real race car driver, and why the rest of us kind of play at being one.

So far, I've been able to 'catch' all of my 'slippery conditions track incidents' without pegging the panic-meter or painting my undies some different color,

Even a little coolant is slippery stuff.

Norm
Thunderbolt is a fun course. The octopus is a test of patience.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Again, shoot me, but I loved the P-Zero's. They were fun while they lasted. I drove them in 0-20F and they still picked up every piece of gravel after a couple miles of driving. They allowed me to overdrive the car on track to the point they overwhelmed the factory dampers. They put down very good lap times. They wear out quick. Losing control on the street points to driver error 100% of the time.

Kenny_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ummm . . . forum measures such as length of membership and post count have nothing whatsoever to do with a member's driving skill level. Or wisdom and how to apply it to something as basic as throttle modulation. Maybe he is in the minority. If so, maybe the majority should start wondering why that might be, and what they could do to fix it from their end.

Better tires improve the margin you have against poo happening. For some, maybe many, that's all that's needed. But even that does not make whatever make & model tires magical.

Norm
Agreed.

Sponsored

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Again, shoot me, but I loved the P-Zero's. They were fun while they lasted. I drove them in 0-20F and they still picked up every piece of gravel after a couple miles of driving. They allowed me to overdrive the car on track to the point they overwhelmed the factory dampers. They put down very good lap times. They wear out quick. Losing control on the street points to driver error 100% of the time.
Second that, I would buy another set if I can't get Bridgestone RE050s on sale.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I'm with the FNG. I drove all year-round on my PZeros and didn't have any problems at all. I was extra-extra-cautious when the mercury dipped below 45F, but had no issues.

I'm running on Continental ExtremeContact DWs right now and like them more than the PZeros, but the Pirellis aren't a recipe for instant death.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I can't wait for you to drive them below 55* in the rain. I would equate them to buttered glass.

A set of Yokohama Advan A/S woke me up to just how bad the summer P-Zeros are in certain situations.

When it's 90* on a dry summer day, they're petty good

Until you drive on a set of Pilot Super Sports.

The P-Zeros are not the worst in the world, I would just question one's sanity if they were to purchase a second set, as they are also pretty pricey.
I've driven on these tires through NoVa winters for 5 or 6 years now, no problems. Temps down to 0, no problem.

Yes, if I still lived in Michigan, I'd have to have dedicated winter tires, but I don't. I take it easy when it's cold, drive like a normal person, and then hoon it when it's over 60 degrees.

Are the Super Sports better? Could be, but their cost is a bit steep.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
I've driven on these tires through NoVa winters for 5 or 6 years now, no problems. Temps down to 0, no problem.

Yes, if I still lived in Michigan, I'd have to have dedicated winter tires, but I don't. I take it easy when it's cold, drive like a normal person, and then hoon it when it's over 60 degrees.

Are the Super Sports better? Could be, but their cost is a bit steep.
Having now run both (PSS on a different car) I would say the P-Zero has more dry grip. As for wet I would say same but I really don't explore limits on wet public roads.

I think the PS2 is the tire I would compare with the P-Z. The PS2 is slightly better, probably shave a couple tenths off a lap, just not worth an extra $75-100/tire.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
Those Pirellis are okay-ish unless it's getting down to freezing point or below. For me the first mod is always tyres, it gives you the best return for your money by far with lots of folks seeming to like the Michelin MPSS.

If you learned on a FWD or AWD car you need to approach the Mustang with the attitude that it's basic handling balance isn't understeer. You need to be cautious and learn to work with the grip and power or it may bite you.

I'm guessing more than 95% of crashes caused by "The tyres let go" are actually "I turned in too quickly", "I applied too much throttle before the apex" or "I've seen it at Cars and Coffee and thought I could do it". In the end the driver took an action that made the outside rear tyre exceed 100% of the available grip.

Of course, admitting this is akin to saying "I'm not much good in bed either" so it always comes back to the tyres. I raced a GT40 for ten years and this is one of my heroes Kenny Brack at Goodwood in the wet on ancient Dunlop Racing tyres. 'nuf said.

Surely you buy a Mustang because it needs more driving than a VW Golf?

Fast hands and feet! Didn't matter if it was a straight or corner that car was sideways most of the time. Amazing driving and composure! Good hero to have.
Sponsored