Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
* bump*

Well I’ve had itchy feet with my Stang for a while now, but thought I’d share my adventures with you.
Went to test drive an Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio.
Always liked these, but disliked the high price tag and the worrying combo of feeble Italian build quality+high electrical complexity+owner abuse as standard…
Car was a 2018 with 25k miles but it didn’t wear it well. I was expecting a cheap interior, the Stang is hardly top shelf, but it was a bit grim, especially the centre console and the glove box - which in true Alfa fashion fell open during road test.
Every body panel had road rash, so either abused or thin paint, it looked to have had a new bumper, poor colour match, bonnet catch dropped off so I couldn’t look at fluids.
Leather drivers seat side squab was alarmingly worn and shabby. However those seats are absolutely amazing, look great half leather half alcantara, snug yet comfortable.
Very quiet engine note on start up and not intrusive even on full tilt . They’re all auto box, which I’m not used to, but by God when you hoof it, it flies. Some turbo lag (again news to us in a V8) but it really put a grin on my face.
Had the price been right I would have changed. However either p*ss taking dealer PX or Stang prices have crashed this week as summer is officially over. So I’m still in the Stang club for the minute

for the uninitiated:
https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/quadrifoglio/giulia-quadrifoglio
I’ve looked at a couple of those Alfa’s too. The interior is leagues ahead of the mustang as is the rest of the car. The thing that turned me off was the door opening gap designed only for 5’3 folks. I want doors 8” longer minimum so that when I look out the window at a right angle I see the outside, not the Pillar.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My vets got one, a very tidy one wil full PPF :sunglasses:

I think I’ve bought it for him, well at Tesco pet insurance helped … :crazy:

WD :like:

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The thing that turned me off was the door opening gap designed only for 5’3 folks. I want doors 8” longer minimum so that when I look out the window at a right angle I see the outside, not the Pillar.
Funny, one reason I was considering the Alfa is now my kids are older they p*ss moan about riding in the back of the Stang, so 4 smaller doors works better me.
I didn’t find the Alfa’s pillars an issue but I’m 5 11 tall, I can see if you’re tall & you have seat way back, that would be an issue in any sedan

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, one reason I was considering the Alfa is now my kids are older they p*ss moan about riding in the back of the Stang, so 4 smaller doors works better me.
I didn’t find the Alfa’s pillars an issue but I’m 5 11 tall, I can see if you’re tall & you have seat way back, that would be an issue in any sedan
I’m 6’2 and never had that issue before with other 4 door cars of similar overall dimensions. It’s almost like the back dooors are too long and the front too short.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
The four door Ferrari has had great reviews but although I have always liked Alfa’s the price of the Quadrifoglio is at German levels but is the same quality there??

The misano blue is a great colour and they depreciate fast but it’s a brave move to take one on secondhand as they won’t have had an easy life and the dealer network is nothing to write home about.

If you’ve got itchy feet in the Mustang why not connect one to the accelerator 😊

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The four door Ferrari has had great reviews but although I have always liked Alfa’s the price of the Quadrifoglio is at German levels but is the same quality there??

The misano blue is a great colour and they depreciate fast but it’s a brave move to take one on secondhand as they won’t have had an easy life and the dealer network is nothing to write home about.

If you’ve got itchy feet in the Mustang why not connect one to the accelerator 😊
Don’t want to press that pedal too hard…. The rust / drive shaft nuts/ oil cooler will fall off

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
the price of the Quadrifoglio is at German levels but is the same quality there??
Fair point & certainly a worry, but the German brands don’t fair well in any reliability surveys. Theres a lot of urban myth and trading on past glories there. And when any premium brand does go wrong, the bills are horrific.

As for the Alfa dealer network, I have never ever faced ineptitude and bad service like ive experienced with Ford. I wouldn’t go near a Ford dealer again, Im happy to use independents.
I imagine Alfa parts availability would be on par with the Stang. Filters and pads etc are easy, everything else is on back order from another continent during a shipping crisis….

An Alfa could still be on my shopping list, just not that example and certainly not at that price.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fair point & certainly a worry, but the German brands don’t fair well in any reliability surveys. Theres a lot of urban myth and trading on past glories there. And when any premium brand does go wrong, the bills are horrific.
One driver survey I read crowned the HYUNDAI KONA the best car to own in the UK 2021 and the VW Golf second but last at 73..........really!!!!

I will always research a car before i buy it but surveys play a fairly minor part in my decision making, forums for me are a far better source.

What do Quadrofoglio owner forum members think of it in terms of issues?

Last edited:

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
A bit like this forum. A lot of owners love it so much they can’t see/accept the shortcomings, and a few rants too.

totally agree ref surveys. JD Power particularly, as it’s about user expectation. If you buy a brand new Chinese MG and it starts every morning, you think it’s the dogs. If you buy an M5 and it rattles you think it’s a total turd. You cant possibly compare the two products.

The down side of web platforms is they attract extremes. If you really love something you take the time to write a review. Likewise if you really hate something. But the mid ground is left unheard…

personally I've had a look at them all and the road test sways the decision.

Last edited:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Totally agree it's all about expectations. I have a Focus as well as the GT and Ford have provided me with after care as I expected whereas I feel as a GT owner Ford fall way short of how BMW treated me during my M2 ownership.

Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just received this months Classic Cars mag. A fitting quote from a guy called Ed Winter who’s a Lotus wizard:
“Passion clouds judgement”

that certainly rings true with me. I just know a used Alfa QF will lead to all kinds of trouble, probable financial ruin, but I still really want one…

Last edited:

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Just received this months Classic Cars mag. A fitting quote from a guy called Ed Winter who’s a Lotus wizard:

that certainly rings true with me. I just know a used Alfa QF will lead to all kinds of trouble, probable financial ruin, but I still really want one…
Thats the thing with these Italian beauties great for a holiday romance but a long term relationship ???

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
For anyone who is tempted to sell (I think I might've been had I not done some mods and just replaced all the brakes) Cazoo are still £7k up on mine (I got it from them 14 months and 5000 miles ago for £27k). They seem to be beating everyone price wise.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

Then trade it in I'd say. When I'm no longer smiling to myself whenever I see my blue beauty parked in the surrounding sea of ugly cars, there's no longer any point for me in having a car like the Mustang and I'd just sell it.

That Alfa Romeo looks pretty damn ugly to me, and the only reason I'd look twice at if I saw it would be that I rarely (never) see it here, but I understand tastes are different.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don’t get me wrong, I still love the look, sound and dynamics of the Stang. You simply have to look back when you park it and walk away. Just after 3 years, I’m ready for something different.

Its a bit opportunist maybe, with the higher values of the Stang, but that’s offset by the price rise of any other car. Its just a case of finding the right car with the right deal. FWIW webuyanycar value crashed 4K in a week, so maybe we are nearing the end of the crazy prices. Will try Cazoo - thanks Mike3105.

until a deal on a leftfield car pops up, I’m quite happy with the Stang, and with window shopping :)
Sponsored