v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had been doing bit of reading after asking that question and found that exact link - sad times ahead ... :frown:

WD :like:
Its the logical next step after smart roads. Get the road telling the car what the max limit is at any particular time based on national limits and traffic density. From there its a very simple step to self driving cars once all the traffic is doing exactly the same speed and GPS tracked. Enjoy this last 10-20 yrs of self guided petrol fuelled madness while you can. No point worrying too much about future value post 2035 as it will be scrap metal value only. You have approx 10 yrs left to enjoy the hell out of the current crop of mustangs on our roads. Thats assuming that the government don't make a retrofitted OBD2 port GPS speed limiter mandatory for older pre 2022 cars.. They probably will, but not for a few yrs yet, and im sure I can easily decommission my OBD port if required.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If the cars fitted with GPS, why limit it to 112mph, would be much safer to limit it to the speed limit. Would also enable cars to be geared better lower down.

Also the GPS tracking will enable the government to start charging per mile and per route as a way to fill the gap in lost taxes by electric cars not buying petrol.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Then they will introduce a accelerometer to limit the maximum rate of acceleration ...

WD :like:

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Then they will introduce a accelerometer to limit the maximum rate of acceleration ...
They could only do that if the car can determine the driving conditions and it's surroundings. If you pull out and the car limits your acceleration and you're t-boned, who's at fault ?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If the cars fitted with GPS, why limit it to 112mph, would be much safer to limit it to the speed limit. Would also enable cars to be geared better lower down.

Also the GPS tracking will enable the government to start charging per mile and per route as a way to fill the gap in lost taxes by electric cars not buying petrol.
worth mentioning that ive not seen any detail on the actual limit yet. Volvo and Renault already have their global 112mph hard max limit. Theres nothing to stop them flashing a hard max limit=national speed limit per country during the PDI. The stuff ive been reading suggests it will be a variable limit that = the limit on the current road. ie max limit of 70mph ..... which make a GT a bit pointless for me.

cb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang
Blimey, if your Mrs thinks the GT is uncomfortable long distance, try a focus ST !! - they're OK enough generally, but suspension is truly awful, hard & unforgiving!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
One of my life lessons has been. Never say ' Never '.

No idea what the future holds for me regarding cars. I've owned a lot of cars (not simultaneously) & doing so has made me poorer than I might otherwise be.
The Mustang gets +ve reactions like no other car I've owned (esp recently since replacing the resonator).

However, now I have a Mustang GT I know one thing.
It will be a very sad day, if it ever comes, when I drive a car & it doesn't sound, look & go as good or better than my GT.
So for now, I'm keeping my Mustang.
:like:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i suspect the 112mph is in fact a 180km/h euro limit or like Japan has on it's cars Domestic Market (JDM yo) unless like the GTR it realises via the GPS you're at a track day and lifts the limit entirely (so I heard..).

edit: just reading that evo link

How speed limiters work
Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system for the current journey by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be engaged every time a car is started.

er cause everyone tries to sneak over the limit as slowly as possible. Fck that, foot to the foot balls to the wall :rockon:

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
i suspect the 112mph is in fact a 180km/h euro limit or like Japan has on it's cars Domestic Market (JDM yo) unless like the GTR it realises via the GPS you're at a track day and lifts the limit entirely (so I heard..).

edit: just reading that evo link

How speed limiters work
Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system for the current journey by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be engaged every time a car is started.

er cause everyone tries to sneak over the limit as slowly as possible. Fck that, foot to the foot balls to the wall :rockon:
and every time the limiter is overridden the bill arrives in the post from the DVLA.....

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Its the logical next step after smart roads. Get the road telling the car what the max limit is at any particular time based on national limits and traffic density. From there its a very simple step to self driving cars once all the traffic is doing exactly the same speed and GPS tracked. Enjoy this last 10-20 yrs of self guided petrol fuelled madness while you can. No point worrying too much about future value post 2035 as it will be scrap metal value only. You have approx 10 yrs left to enjoy the hell out of the current crop of mustangs on our roads. Thats assuming that the government don't make a retrofitted OBD2 port GPS speed limiter mandatory for older pre 2022 cars.. They probably will, but not for a few yrs yet, and im sure I can easily decommission my OBD port if required.
Wow the sad thing for me is in time after it happens at your joint, governments here will look to get it to control and raise revenue eventually here in Australia. We are probably a good 10 years behind, but the trouble is the technology being developed in your home will be used everywhere to fuck us over......I feel sorry for our kids.....its just control šŸ˜­ . Oh well enjoy while you can

Last edited:

GT67RAM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Volvo XC90, BMW R1250GS
Interesting point about selling whilst the prices are high. I have had my GT from new last year. I've only covered 1,300 miles. Webuyanycar have offered me Ā£1,000 more than I paid for it!
All I have to do is look at it and remind myself how much fun the car is. Mine's a keeper.

Benzo1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT S550
Speed limiters, no petrol engines, soulless electric pish.... Jeez I'm glad I logged on tonight lol.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
* bump*

Well Iā€™ve had itchy feet with my Stang for a while now, but thought Iā€™d share my adventures with you.
Went to test drive an Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio.
Always liked these, but disliked the high price tag and the worrying combo of feeble Italian build quality+high electrical complexity+owner abuse as standardā€¦
Car was a 2018 with 25k miles but it didnā€™t wear it well. I was expecting a cheap interior, the Stang is hardly top shelf, but it was a bit grim, especially the centre console and the glove box - which in true Alfa fashion fell open during road test.
Every body panel had road rash, so either abused or thin paint, it looked to have had a new bumper, poor colour match, bonnet catch dropped off so I couldnā€™t look at fluids.
Leather drivers seat side squab was alarmingly worn and shabby. However those seats are absolutely amazing, look great half leather half alcantara, snug yet comfortable.
Very quiet engine note on start up and not intrusive even on full tilt . Theyā€™re all auto box, which Iā€™m not used to, but by God when you hoof it, it flies. Some turbo lag (again news to us in a V8) but it really put a grin on my face.
Had the price been right I would have changed. However either p*ss taking dealer PX or Stang prices have crashed this week as summer is officially over. So Iā€™m still in the Stang club for the minute

for the uninitiated:
https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/quadrifoglio/giulia-quadrifoglio
Sponsored