Sponsored

TO KEEP OR SELL ?????

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don’t get me wrong, I still love the look, sound and dynamics of the Stang. You simply have to look back when you park it and walk away. Just after 3 years, I’m ready for something different.

Its a bit opportunist maybe, with the higher values of the Stang, but that’s offset by the price rise of any other car. Its just a case of finding the right car with the right deal. FWIW webuyanycar value crashed 4K in a week, so maybe we are nearing the end of the crazy prices. Will try Cazoo - thanks Mike3105.

until a deal on a leftfield car pops up, I’m quite happy with the Stang, and with window shopping :)
Yep WBAC values dropped considerably last week, £3k drop on mine. Cazoo offering £41700 though which pretty sure is more than WBAC ever did. Only problem is cazoo won't clear finance of you're not part X ing with them. Would need to free some cash up, clear finance and hope cazoo values don't drop in the time it takes..

I keep toying with selling too but can't bring myself to do it.
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i dont have anything i'd like to replace it with, well nothing made this century and going back to car that has real rust worries / issues isn't something i can be bothered with. Yes i could get it fixed but the car wouldn't be worth anymore after shelling out for repairs. The Stang is a big beast of a car but it makes me smile when i drive it so that's my mind made up. Power to those than have options / choices

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
i dont have anything i'd like to replace it with, well nothing made this century
Totally understand you on that one. I’m fortunate enough to have a classic yank too. But to me a car needs a bit of character.
Have you you considered a resto-mod? Classic styling with modern running gear

https://www.billshepherdmustang.com/bullitt-newclassic

I wouldn’t propose buying one at that crazy price, but it’s not going to be cheap. High quality builds do seem to hold their value. I’m sure you can get a ‘used’ resto mod significantly cheaper stateside.

I guess it all depends what you want to do with the car. I wouldn’t be comfortable doing significant annual miles in a resto mod or leaving it on the street for example, but I think a lot of people have changed their lifestyle during lockdowns. This could give you the best of both worlds

DeNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve been tempted to sell mine due to the high prices being offered this summer, and the fact that I hardly ever drive her now that I work from home. Having £30k of car sat in the garage collecting dust didn’t sit comfortably with me.

My wife wants an SUV so I started looking at a Macan which on paper ticks all the boxes being just as quick as the mustang (which I would hopefully get to drive at the weekends). We did a test drive of both the 4 cylinder (golf GTI engine) and the V6 Turbo versions. Beautiful car to drive and probably the best handling SUV out there but for me it was missing the wow factor that you get in the mustang and felt comparatively disconnected from the road. So we decided it wouldn’t be a replacement for the mustang despite the 434hp macan costing over twice what I paid for the mustang 5 years ago.

As we left the Porsche garage there was a father and son picking up a new Taycan. The excitement on the boys face when he saw the mustang reminded me that there’s something special about it!

My wife summed it up by asking would you sell your dog just because someone offered you a few £k more than you paid for it? For us the Mustang is part of the family and that’s where she’s staying.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Totally understand you on that one. I’m fortunate enough to have a classic yank too. But to me a car needs a bit of character.
Have you you considered a resto-mod? Classic styling with modern running gear

https://www.billshepherdmustang.com/bullitt-newclassic

I wouldn’t propose buying one at that crazy price, but it’s not going to be cheap. High quality builds do seem to hold their value. I’m sure you can get a ‘used’ resto mod significantly cheaper stateside.

I guess it all depends what you want to do with the car. I wouldn’t be comfortable doing significant annual miles in a resto mod or leaving it on the street for example, but I think a lot of people have changed their lifestyle during lockdowns. This could give you the best of both worlds
oft, thats some price range. I'd be looking for 90's Jap cars but the prices for them are equally scary and way out of my price range (pre resto condition) but less than than resto mods. Should've bought the car pre 2010 when prices were daft but not stupidly daft Fast n Furious premium !

Mustang for me the now, it's paid for, MOT'd again and still makes me smile when i see it so it's a keeper for the now

Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well I’ve finally come off the fence and sold the Stang. (See farewell pic). I think I’ve just gone the journey with this car.

Cazoo made an offer I couldn’t refuse. Very easy to deal with and no ‘WBAC’ style nasty surprises - although the car was well cared for. Recommend them if your selling…

thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, highlight being the Mustang 1000 event in Belgium (see pic). But also the positive reaction from the public & the great support & bants in this forum. Oh and negative depreciation! I wasn’t expecting that 3 years ago when I bought it!

lowlights have been a string of issues exacerbated by the woeful dealer network. As many have said before, Ford UK are peddling a car targetted at US college kids - but in the UK pricing it against premium German performance cars. Mustang is a lot of great things, gorgeous, charismatic, entertaining, but premium it aint…

lve not replaced it yet, still thinking M5 or Alfa QF, I might ride the crazy prices out in the wife’s car and see how the market is next year. Who knows I might even be back in another Stang :)

F7E62B23-47CB-429B-93CA-55CA0B524AB7.jpeg

A7F80F7E-580B-420C-BD07-86F1FE30AF78.jpeg

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can't question your decision mate, cazoo are offering outstanding cash at the moment. I love the stang but I've owned it loved it but is it really that good to keep when I can get £2k more now than I paid new for it nearly 2 years ago? Probably not.......

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My wife summed it up by asking would you sell your dog just because someone offered you a few £k more than you paid for it? For us the Mustang is part of the family and that’s where she’s staying.
This is great, I love people’s enthusiasm for the Stang, but I think this is what separates an enthusiast from a fanatic (& I mean that in the nicest possible way…)

I love all cars, I’ve worked developing them for 30 years, but at the end of the day, to me any car is just a chunk of metal and a depreciating asset.
yes the Stang is cool and yes it’s fast and gorgeous, but I’m just not that emotionally attached to it. So when the right offer appeared…

However I really did miss the Stang today commuting in a dull SUV…

But plenty of other fish out there. Life’s too short to wonder ‘what if’…

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Over the last month I have driven my Mustang probably 5 times. its sitting on the drive covered in dust and I walk past it every day. I have been using my wifes Merc GLE and a van and the couple of times I have driven it - its just amazing. I would love to be able to Garage it and use it for 6 months of the year and have another small run around but at the moment thats not going to happen.

Every time I think of selling I then decide against it - the car was bought as a Keeper and even with so much talk about EV becoming the norm I just cant get my head round it.

Hats off to everyone for getting out of their cars and making a profit - I think now the Increase of a Mustang increase has stopped as there appears to be just Sooo many available - Although not many in Deep Impact Blue !!!!!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I don't get all these "it's just sitting there" posts. Perhaps it's because my previous enjoyment was motorbikes and it's common to just get on the bike and go for a ride, but sometimes I just get in the Mustang and drive. Drive to some not very interesting viewpoint, drive to some coffee shop an hour away that may or may not be closed.
I just enjoy driving it. Actually I even enjoy just sitting in it and listening to some music. :-)

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don't get all these "it's just sitting there" posts. Perhaps it's because my previous enjoyment was motorbikes and it's common to just get on the bike and go for a ride, but sometimes I just get in the Mustang and drive. Drive to some not very interesting viewpoint, drive to some coffee shop an hour away that may or may not be closed.
I just enjoy driving it. Actually I even enjoy just sitting in it and listening to some music. :-)
I'm with you, sort of. As @Bullitt66 put it, some of us are enthusiast, some are fanatics. I'm the latter for sure.

I've barely driven mine the last couple of months, currently waiting to have another new shock absorber put in - on Monday. But for me, it brings me joy just knowing it's there. Waiting to be driven, to be cleaned up and enjoyed again when the time comes. Whether that's next week, or next year.

Totally respect those that sell up & move on to something they find more interesting. There's a whole world of fantastic cars out there and little time!

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I might have moved over to the German brigade but I still have a soft spot for all things Mustang.
This months Hemmings mag popped thru the door, remembered this thread, and thought you might like this resto mod. I think we could build one substantially cheaper than Bill Shepherds retail… Got me thinking anyway
Vintage Stang + Coyote crate engine + Tremec 6 speed + 5 link rear end + body restoration = heaven:)

A2161DD2-F7BD-4F63-86EC-65626915515D.jpeg

D859224A-2C4D-4191-8E04-2573096EE771.jpeg

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I'm with you, sort of. As @Bullitt66 put it, some of us are enthusiast, some are fanatics. I'm the latter for sure.

I've barely driven mine the last couple of months, currently waiting to have another new shock absorber put in - on Monday. But for me, it brings me joy just knowing it's there. Waiting to be driven, to be cleaned up and enjoyed again when the time comes. Whether that's next week, or next year.

Totally respect those that sell up & move on to something they find more interesting. There's a whole world of fantastic cars out there and little time!
Each to there own but why not just drive it daily that way ya get the maximum joy 🐎🐎 That's what I'm lucky enough to do 🐎🤘😎🤘

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I’ve started doing. Use it as a normal car for a bit every day.. then you can really appreciate the poor headlights, the water ingress into the electrics when it rains that makes the left indicator un-cancelable without turning the car off- that’s fun on a wet motorway I can tell you!

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I would like some help / advice / feedback from you all please. Is your Mustang a keeper or not ?

I purchased mine New in March 2016 and have a DIB GT with all extras apart from Auto. When I purchased this I thought the car would be a long term car and potentially a keeper (Especially when I look at other cars I have owned over the years and regret selling and see their prices now !!)

The car is now 5 years old with 23,000 on it, the car is my daily but I only live 5 miles from my office hence the low mileage. I have changed a few bits on the car like wheels, CAI, Exhaust backs and a few other bits here and there. I am happy with the looks of the car and more than happy when I get out and drive the thing.

Now here lies my potential issue. My wife likes the car but never drives it and if we ever use it for long trips she finds it uncomfortable and sometimes when I have to use it for work and carry 2 passengers its a pain in the bottom for someone to get in and out of the car.

My wife has a car which is a Merc GLE so this is the family and practical car which gets used all weekend whilst the Mustang sits there doing nothing. As an example of use, on the 15th June I had the 5th service and the oil cooler upgrade carried out by GT 101 at a cost of about £1,200. Since then I have driven the car on 5 occasions (Dont think I have even had to put more petrol in it) and its just sitting on the drive covered in dust.

So do I keep it for the nice sunny day and keep it long term knowing the reality is I'm only going to get to enjoy it on my own without any long distance trips with the wife.
Sell it and buy a small practical car for the odd occasions I need a second car.
Sell it and buy a decent large practical car that I can use all the time and not have to use the family car at weekends.
Get a new wife !!!!!

This is obviously something that I am thinking about (not a new wife !) - Maybe due to seeing so many people sell there Mustangs recently, and last night I had a dream that I sold the car, unfortunately I woke up and so dont know the ending !

Are your cars all long termers or just a toy for a while till you get bored.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
I only just got my Mach 1, but I plan to keep if for some time. We have a Focus Estate for the family car. My reason for keeping the Mach 1 is that how long will we be able to buy a naturally aspirated V8 with a manual transmission? Or any NA motor & a manual? There are better cars, faster cars, more practical cars, etc. But NA V8 + manual is rare & getting rarer by the day!
Sponsored