Sponsored

TO KEEP OR SELL ?????

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Hello All,

I would like some help / advice / feedback from you all please. Is your Mustang a keeper or not ?

I purchased mine New in March 2016 and have a DIB GT with all extras apart from Auto. When I purchased this I thought the car would be a long term car and potentially a keeper (Especially when I look at other cars I have owned over the years and regret selling and see their prices now !!)

The car is now 5 years old with 23,000 on it, the car is my daily but I only live 5 miles from my office hence the low mileage. I have changed a few bits on the car like wheels, CAI, Exhaust backs and a few other bits here and there. I am happy with the looks of the car and more than happy when I get out and drive the thing.

Now here lies my potential issue. My wife likes the car but never drives it and if we ever use it for long trips she finds it uncomfortable and sometimes when I have to use it for work and carry 2 passengers its a pain in the bottom for someone to get in and out of the car.

My wife has a car which is a Merc GLE so this is the family and practical car which gets used all weekend whilst the Mustang sits there doing nothing. As an example of use, on the 15th June I had the 5th service and the oil cooler upgrade carried out by GT 101 at a cost of about Ā£1,200. Since then I have driven the car on 5 occasions (Dont think I have even had to put more petrol in it) and its just sitting on the drive covered in dust.

So do I keep it for the nice sunny day and keep it long term knowing the reality is I'm only going to get to enjoy it on my own without any long distance trips with the wife.
Sell it and buy a small practical car for the odd occasions I need a second car.
Sell it and buy a decent large practical car that I can use all the time and not have to use the family car at weekends.
Get a new wife !!!!!

This is obviously something that I am thinking about (not a new wife !) - Maybe due to seeing so many people sell there Mustangs recently, and last night I had a dream that I sold the car, unfortunately I woke up and so dont know the ending !

Are your cars all long termers or just a toy for a while till you get bored.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sell it and buy a small practical car for the odd occasions I need a second car.
This fills me with sadness :crying:

Kidding.

I can relate somewhat, but my gripe seems to be "what will go wrong next".

Mine is 100% a keeper. Without a doubt my dream car and my passion, and sometimes it's just a comforting thought to know it's sat outside - even if I'm not intending on driving it.

My girlfriend happens to love it, which is a bonus. But I think for that side of it, you need to be a bit selfish - if it's a car you really enjoy and it brings you happiness, then definitely hold on to it.

Would you feel a bit lost without it? That's the question you need to ask yourself.

I find it therapeutic to spend time in the car and to look after it - you all know i'm into my detailing. And I'm willing to bet I'd really miss that if it was gone, as for me it brings a good balance to an otherwise hectic lifestyle. There's nothing else out there that would fill the role the Mustang plays in my life, ok maybe a classic, but I've no intention of selling up - even if I do stress over it at times.

We all need a vice, and the Mustang is a pretty cool one.

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Kristian, I like a bit of detailing as well and to "Tinker" with the car. I do find it therapeutic to spend a day cleaning the Mustang and the wifes car and then I have a van and if I can be bothered to clean my boys car. I love all of this and if I sold the Mustang I would still want a car and would still clean and enjoy it.

My thing about selling is to maybe get a different car but a bit more practical and something that maybe the wife would enjoy.

I have spent the last few days looking at Autotrader and been looking at the following cars;

Mercedes E 350 V6 4 matic (Same engine as our GLE) Coupe
Mercedes E 400 2000 petrol Coupe
Focus RS
Focus ST-3

I love my Mustang and everytime I drive it - it just feels amazing. My gripe is not being able to use it as much as I want to but if I changed it and had another car like what I mentioned above it would be practical.

If I changed to say a Focus then it would still be a sporty type of car and maybe the wife would feel the same as the Mustang but being 4 doors may make it practical to use and so would be good.
I looked at the Mercs as our other car is a merc and the E class Coupe is a bit bigger than the Mustang so may make a more practical type of car.

Who knows, I will agonise over this for a while - trouble is that the current pricing on the Mustang is strong so thats whats got me thinking.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Anyone with a classic car only drives it occasionally but loves it even just looking at it in the garage. Keep the wife and her car and the Stang and buy yourself a Camry or Hyundai for DD.

Benzo1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT S550
Mine is a keeper, it's a car I've always wanted since I was a kid and there is nothing for the money I can afford, to compete with a V8 Mustang. Even just typing that makes me smile.
To me, and I say a lot of this with jest, but the fact that your wife doesn't like it, gives you that solitude and escapism we all need and benefit from so enjoy those drives without her. Or maybe trade the wife in?... ;)

Sponsored

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
As itā€™s name suggests the GTā€˜s real strength is long distance running I believe.It is so comfortable (and quiet!) that it is a pleasure to be driving it for a good few hundred miles at a time.

Perhaps youā€™re making the missus ride in the back???

So I would suggest use the GT in its best setting.

You will miss the drama of the Mustang if it goes and yes there are times to be sensible and practical but not all the time.Especially when the days that we will be able to drive cars like this are limited.

If in doubt go press the starter buttonā€¦

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mercedes E 350 V6 4 matic (Same engine as our GLE) Coupe
Mercedes E 400 2000 petrol Coupe
Focus RS
Focus ST-3

Only one out of those I would even consider is the Mercedes E 350 V6 4 matic Coupe. Will it be particularly more practical? Are the back seats any good?

RS i am assuming is the MK3, pretty shocking cabin by the standards of the cost of it and I would also be wary of buying one used but that's down to my lack of mechanical know how.

ST3, mark3 is a bit shit, the new mark4 is okay but uneventful and not particularly quick by hot hatch standards, it looks like any other Focus too.
i would rather a Golf R or Golf GTI, BMW M135i, AMG35, AMG45, S3, RS3 the list goes on and so does the cost!

I reckon you have itchy feet and are searching for reasons and justifications to get shot of the Mustang, fully appreciate it and i do exactly the same!!!!

Bizarrely my M2 was more practical, you could get 2 adults in the back for a start and the boot space was very good indeed. How about used one of those? Still a massive characterful car.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Iā€™m not saying donā€™t flip the Stang as if itā€™s gathering dust and you choose the wifeā€™s car at weekends, itā€™s no longer a big part of your life.

However all your alternative choices to me lack the 1 thing the Mustang has by the sack full, and thatā€™s soul. Theyre all capable cars but hardly the stuff of posters on kids bedroom walls.

And thatā€™s what you will miss if you sell the Stang. Itā€™s just a bit special. And no matter what engine/body kit/stance you put on a Focus or a Golf etc itā€™s just a bit mehā€¦

if you want a weekend toy then a classic (67 Mustang?) or cheap older super car could fit the bill. Iā€™m with Bulut on this.

if you just want something powerful to hoon around and scare yourself witless then again there are lots of choices - tuned older GTR?

maybe your next car needs to meet the criteria of why you bought the Mustang and why youā€™re not using it?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I would like some help / advice / feedback from you all please. Is your Mustang a keeper or not ?
Im in exactly the same position as you. I bought it new in 2016 with the intention of it being a keeper. Cheap enough to put in the garage and keep well into retirement etc. Simple enough not to require expensive upkeep. I even went for a manual as its simpler in terms of long term upkeep. I too accepted that there are fundamental problems with every car so paid out to fix the oil cooler properly before it went bang. Now I have the corrosion that ford are fixing under warranty but when that comes back in another 4 yrs or so I will probably go for aftermarket panels. The air con remains the only real model specific flaw which I can live without if needed.
However. Since 2016 ive done 15k miles in the car. My wife has a BMW X3 which we use daily and on family trips with the kids. The mustang lives in the garage and rarely sees daylight. With the strong prices, I could sell for about Ā£30k. New it was Ā£36.5k + another 3.5K in mods. Exhaust, steering wheel, manifold could be removed and sold separately so total loss in depreciation would be approx Ā£8k over 4.5 yrs. I keep thinking if im going to get out, then now is the time to do it. In fact I don't like driving the mustang unless its long distance. The 2litre diesel auto BMW bus is infinitely better round town and boring roads. If I was to sell I figure I would replace the mustang with a Ā£2k shed for emergency use, then possibly look for a Maserati Grantourisimo once prices return to normal levels.

On the other hand I wonder if values of our cars will remain strong now and here is my reasoning. 1. New ones won't drop in price.
2. New petrol ends in 2030.
3. As of next yr all new cars will have speed limiters and GPS tracking.
4. I figure we have maybe 10 yrs left of being able to run a big V8 normally aspirated manual car before they are effectively taxed off the roads some how. This means that for at least 5 yrs its going to be last hurrah time for anyone who wants to experience a V8. - although once they tax petrol out of existence the values could plummet as who wants an expensive ornament you can't afford to drive. I may as well enjoy it for a few more yrs before they force me to get a battery car.

I really am in 2 minds what to do now. I would love to end petrol with a Maserati... but is it sensible to stay with the mustang after the work that's gone into making it reliable, and the mega low depreciation?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
After toiling over this I think I have decided that its staying ! I have used it for work today and had 3 people watching it and giving it either a smile or a thumbs up which then brought me a smile.

I discussed it briefly with the wife and she told me to keep it - and to maybe think about another car aswell, therefore that to me is an open invite to purchase something else - maybe not now as prices are quite high so I think I will do a bit of research and when prices become a bit more reasonable will get something.

One thing that I had before the Mustang was a 2015 Fiesta Zetec S Red Edition. Now this was only the 1000 140bhp but this was a pocket rocket which i loved and was still using once the Mustang turned up. I have always loved a Hot Hatch so may look towards this knowing the Mustang is there plus the bonus of the wifes family car.

Cheers all and long live our journeys with our cars.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Im in exactly the same position as you. I bought it new in 2016 with the intention of it being a keeper. Cheap enough to put in the garage and keep well into retirement etc. Simple enough not to require expensive upkeep. I even went for a manual as its simpler in terms of long term upkeep. I too accepted that there are fundamental problems with every car so paid out to fix the oil cooler properly before it went bang. Now I have the corrosion that ford are fixing under warranty but when that comes back in another 4 yrs or so I will probably go for aftermarket panels. The air con remains the only real model specific flaw which I can live without if needed.
However. Since 2016 ive done 15k miles in the car. My wife has a BMW X3 which we use daily and on family trips with the kids. The mustang lives in the garage and rarely sees daylight. With the strong prices, I could sell for about Ā£30k. New it was Ā£36.5k + another 3.5K in mods. Exhaust, steering wheel, manifold could be removed and sold separately so total loss in depreciation would be approx Ā£8k over 4.5 yrs. I keep thinking if im going to get out, then now is the time to do it. In fact I don't like driving the mustang unless its long distance. The 2litre diesel auto BMW bus is infinitely better round town and boring roads. If I was to sell I figure I would replace the mustang with a Ā£2k shed for emergency use, then possibly look for a Maserati Grantourisimo once prices return to normal levels.

On the other hand I wonder if values of our cars will remain strong now and here is my reasoning. 1. New ones won't drop in price.
2. New petrol ends in 2030.
3. As of next yr all new cars will have speed limiters and GPS tracking.
4. I figure we have maybe 10 yrs left of being able to run a big V8 normally aspirated manual car before they are effectively taxed off the roads some how. This means that for at least 5 yrs its going to be last hurrah time for anyone who wants to experience a V8. - although once they tax petrol out of existence the values could plummet as who wants an expensive ornament you can't afford to drive. I may as well enjoy it for a few more yrs before they force me to get a battery car.

I really am in 2 minds what to do now. I would love to end petrol with a Maserati... but is it sensible to stay with the mustang after the work that's gone into making it reliable, and the mega low depreciation?
Do you have anymore detail on point 3 i.e. :

"3. As of next yr all new cars will have speed limiters and GPS tracking."

Cheers,

WD :like:

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
One thing that I had before the Mustang was a 2015 Fiesta Zetec S Red Edition. Now this was only the 1000 140bhp but this was a pocket rocket which i loved and was still using once the Mustang turned up. I have always loved a Hot Hatch so may look towards this knowing the Mustang is there plus the bonus of the wifes family car.
Try the ST, either the Mk7.5 with the ST200 chassis and mountune 215 pack or the newer Mk8. Find one that's not been ragged though, they do exist.

I can also back up what Wenklaw said about the Focus ST's, they're a disappointing drive. When we bought our Mustang GT I went from a Fiesta ST to a Focus ST and regretted it massively to the point where I sold the Focus and bought something else practical. I've filled the fiesta ST void with an Impreza STI project.
Sponsored