Sponsored

Tires for Whipple setup

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
Ok so im in need of some help from current FI guys. Ive read plenty and can't quite make a decision on what route to go so I figured id get some feedback from everyone on here. I have a Gen 3 Stage 2 Whipple and the McLeod RST/steel flywheel w their line on order from Beefcake. I don't want to switch out wheels at the moment so I want to keep the 19X9.5 PP in the rear. I don't trust the MT82 to last for too long so ill be keeping the 3.73 in the diff because I plan on moving over to the Magnum XL once it blows and just have McLeod rebuild the clutch for the XL.

I think my initial approach right now is to just switch out the rear tires and eventually move them to the front and then go with something a bit wider in the rear but not right now. I know width isn't everything which is why I don't want anything less than a 35 sidewall. I will be running the Whipple calibration at first then moving over the a Fore Level 2 on E85 so I'm really trying to think a couple steps ahead for this build. Im open to all kinds of feedback on the entire setup but posting here because tires are the current question. I don't think anything wider than a 285 on the 9.5 would really work but I'm open to any feedback and insight you guys have. My current mods are in my signature so...try not to flame me too bad lol

A 285/35R19 on the PP 19X9.5 is my current idea but can't decide on tire.
Sponsored

OP
OP

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
My intentions with the car will be no drag strip runs and just some spirited hwy driving. Possibly a Half Mile event. I don’t drive the car every day either. Every few days and my commute to work and back is barely a mile one way and it’s in a dtown area.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
One important piece of info is what kind of tires you want to go with. All Season or Summer?

Summer tires will be stickier and provide better traction in warmer weather. I would go with a quality summer tire like the MPSS or MP4S. I got 22k miles out of my rear MPSS and they had excellent grip. They were even okay down in the mid 30's but I wouldn't trust them any lower than that. MPSS get my recommendation hands down though, and are the best tire you could put on there for a street driven FI car.

An A/S tire will do better in the cold but since you're in Texas I'm guessing that's not much of a concern. If you want to I would go with Pilot Sport A/S or Continental DWS06. They won't be as good as the MPSS though.

I would do a 285/35 in the rear and a 255 or 265/35 up front. I would upgrade both sets at once you don't want to only do rears and have the fronts a completely different type of tire. Will hurt the car's handling.

OP
OP

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
Yea summer tires here are just fine. I’m really open to all types of suggestions. I haven’t seen too many guys running the R888R. Any reason for that? Any suggestions of what tire to completely avoid? Besides the PZero lol

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Yea summer tires here are just fine. I’m really open to all types of suggestions. I haven’t seen too many guys running the R888R. Any reason for that? Any suggestions of what tire to completely avoid? Besides the PZero lol
R888R are a drag tire I believe, drag radials will give much better traction on dry warm pavement, but arent the best choice for a street car for most people. Most wont last longer than a few thousand miles and do very poorly in the rain.

Sponsored

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Granted I’m running a 20” wheel but I will tell you even a 305 555 vs a 305 555R is night and day difference. For the track I take my 17” MT street R’s but that’s pretty rare. Width helps but the compound matters more, IMHO.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I have a 15 PP and whipple S2 as well and stock tire size. I put Firehawk Indy 500s on about 2 months ago. Those along with the BMR cradle lockout and the car is much more composed off the line. I haven't truly hammered from a dead stop yet but I'm guessing nothing is going to lock the rear end down totally with that kind of hp/3.73s.

But like you I just drive spiritedly on the street, work from home, so I drive it mostly weekends.

OP
OP

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
Thanks for that!!
The 555 G2’s seem to be a solid price but everyone has their own opinion and experience. Any FI guys running these?.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that!!
The 555 G2’s seem to be a solid price but everyone has their own opinion and experience. Any FI guys running these?.
I think you'd be disappointed. PSS, PS4S or Indy 500 if you don't want to daily a drag radial.

OP
OP

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
If I were to daily a drag radial...suggestions?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to daily a drag radial...suggestions?
MT ET Street SS, NT555R. NT05R is too much like a slick. Bridgestone RE71Rs would be good too, as they're designed to heat up fast as an autocross tire.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
So it would seem the stickest summer tires thats NOT a drag radial would be in order:
Michelin Pilot super sport
Nitto 555 G2

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&partnum=03YR0PSSXLV2

Or is their a better option? My 305/35/20 MT sport comps blow dog, absolutely worthless to the point of dangerous with the whipple on my car. Trying to avoid a drag radial as I drive in the rain at times living on Maui.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Continental extreme contact sport would be good from what I have read. I have the 555G2 and they suck even when hot with my gen3 st2 whipple I can break them at will at 60 in 4th even after 20-30 minutes of driving.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
You will need a DR if you want any hope for traction before 3rd gear. I run 555r but I still spin those through 2nd unless I'm rolling into the throttle. Also depends on the mileage you are expecting to get. 555Rs will last a few season if you try to track them. If you won't drive in the rain I'd go with something sticker like a NOT05r but those won't last more than 2 seasons.
Sponsored