Tire Shopping-Need Help

thebaldlatino5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Shopping for tires to replace the set on a set of wheels I got from a friend. 19x10/19x11 SVE R350 wheels, on Nitto Invos, 285/35/19 front and 325/30/19 rears. Rears are almost bald, and the fronts aren't too bad but I do want a uniform set. Most daily driving, some backroads driving, roadtrip and some mexico runs from time to time til I can get a drag set. LOWERED ONLY .75 OF AN INCH ON ALL FOUR CORNERS WITH STEEDA DUAL RATES. Kinda the reason I wanna run 35 profiles to keep some meat and keep the wheel gap minimal.

285/35/19 fronts and 305/35/19 rears

There is a limited variety for 19in wheels, especially in 305/35/19s.

Thought about Nitto NT555 G2s, heard mixed reviews
Leaning towards Michelin's Super Sport tires cause I can get these sizes, just its either back ordered or I gotta order from a Michelin dealer and have them special ordered.
the Pilot Sport 4 S tires don't come in a 305/35/19 rear sadly.

Thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!

109977511_10223339882710122_1648485083872762794_o.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Continental ECS come in 275/285/295/35. The diameters and tread width work out close enough for those size wheels that it’s not a huge change from the “nominal” section width of 305 rear. I am planning to use this combination next year, though I haven’t decided 275 vs 285 up front.

OP
OP
thebaldlatino5.0

thebaldlatino5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hmmmm May have to look at those. I've heard mixed reviews on those as well.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
well I'm a nitto 555G2 fan. Daily them on wet and dry roads, no issues. Had them on the track at Hallett and they did great, also in the rain and dry track. And some spirited mountain runs, still handle great and no road noise. I have the 305/35/19s all around. I personally have nothing bad to say about my experience with them and I'm approaching 8000 miles on them and the still look great. Can't even complain about the price. Especially when compared to the price of other brands.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I’ve used 275/35/19 & 305/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports without any issues. I will point out below 50 deg they can get slightly unstable if your in a cold climate. I also would like for these sizes to be available in the 4S.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Being close to Corpus Christi, I would think other than rain, the weather should not be an issue. I would go with the Michelin Super Sport. The Continentals Extreme Contacts mentioned above are also good tires. Continentals tend to run just a tad narrower in widths when compared to the Super Sports if that matters to you. By that, I mean a size like a 295/35 would actually be slightly less wide than the Michelin in the same size, due to the more rounded shoulders of the Continental.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Being close to Corpus Christi, I would think other than rain, the weather should not be an issue. I would go with the Michelin Super Sport. The Continentals Extreme Contacts mentioned above are also good tires. Continentals tend to run just a tad narrower in widths when compared to the Super Sports if that matters to you. By that, I mean a size like a 295/35 would actually be slightly less wide than the Michelin in the same size, due to the more rounded shoulders of the Continental.
Tire Rack lists the 295/35 ECS and PS4S at 11.9 inch section width, but the ECS at 10.2 inch tread width vs 9.8 inch for the Michelin. The section width sizing doesn’t always tell the full story, but for daily sizes this distinction doesn’t matter as much. You are correct that the rounded shoulders do give a little more strut clearance generally, but at these sizes up front or rear there shouldn’t be issues.

Granted, most people and reviews agree the Michelin is a superior tire to the ECS at a given size by some amount. For a daily, the ECS to me is a better bargain unless the Michelin’s can be had on a sale of some kind.

To the OP, keep in mind the PS4S is a newer design than the PSS. Michelin or Continental should be an improvement over the Nitto in either case, based on everything I’ve read.

Everytime I think about tires, I come up with a different set of summer/winter ideas and priorities, probably why I haven’t bought wheels yet :crazy:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
My advice comes from personal experience with Pilot Super Sports vs ECS in the same sizes, as far as width goes. As you said, for many this doesn't matter at all. I also agree that the ECS is a better bargain when price is factored in....is it as good as a tire as the Michelin, no...but does it really have to be, for the average user....probably not. If I was buying tires and the PS4S came in the sizes I wanted, I would definitely buy them over the Pilot SS. My cars in CO have dedicated wheels/tires for the cold weather days (on the ones I drive in cold weather). The ones in GA, I run the same tire all year.

Tire Rack lists the 295/35 ECS and PS4S at 11.9 inch section width, but the ECS at 10.2 inch tread width vs 9.8 inch for the Michelin. The section width sizing doesn’t always tell the full story, but for daily sizes this distinction doesn’t matter as much. You are correct that the rounded shoulders do give a little more strut clearance generally, but at these sizes up front or rear there shouldn’t be issues.

Granted, most people and reviews agree the Michelin is a superior tire to the ECS at a given size by some amount. For a daily, the ECS to me is a better bargain unless the Michelin’s can be had on a sale of some kind.

To the OP, keep in mind the PS4S is a newer design than the PSS. Michelin or Continental should be an improvement over the Nitto in either case, based on everything I’ve read.

Everytime I think about tires, I come up with a different set of summer/winter ideas and priorities, probably why I haven’t bought wheels yet :crazy:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

I posted this in another thread but the MotoIQ article on how to select tire size for performance, was a good read. Recommends to pay attention to the tread width figure and target between 0 and 0.5" narrower tread width than the wheel width.

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

OP
OP
thebaldlatino5.0

thebaldlatino5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Thank you everyone for input. I know a lot of people suggest the 325 30 19s, im just not a fan of uneven tire height I guess. I'm hoping to call around this morning and find out how long PSS will be on back order. I don't push the car hard, very rarely, and that's why I had thought about the NT555 G2s cause I also have steeda equipment to battle wheel hop installed.

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I love my Conti ECS's, drive super smooth and great grip... even surprised me how they were on a cold 32 degree morning recently, not hard as rocks like the stock Pirelli's.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I am currently shopping too.. I am thinking about giving the firehawk indy 500 tires a try. 285/35 and 325/30. I have drag wheels so these would just be reg driving. Havent really seen any negative about em and price seems decent. I think I would much rather have these over the invo. any info in the indy 500's??

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
perfect.... However my 305 ET street R's have a hard time on the street. Just need some tires that are decent and give me some miles without breaking the bank.
Sponsored