Sponsored

Tips on how to control yourself when people try to race you?

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Happens every time I take the car out here. Mostly Teslas, BMWs, and ricers. Don't have to prove the obvious to these clowns
Sponsored

jag7885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru WRX STI
Regardless if I'm in the Mustang or STI, I usually get guys in trucks or econo boxes wanting to drive aggressively around me. 20 year old me usually went for it, but I've calmed down as I've aged. I've been fortunate to avoid tickets and accidents. It takes alot of self control to drive higher performance cars with restraint.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I no longer have a GT badge on the back so I have a lot of V6 Camaros and Challengers act all big and tough behind me and then slink quietly away when they see the 5.0 badge on the fender. :crackup:

I do have a lot V8 Camaros rev at me and I just smile and wave. The rIsk isn't worth trying to impress some yahoo I don't even know.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I'm able to avoid engaging by just remembering one thing: if I participate in a street race of any kind, and that idiot crashes into a church bus full of grandmothers I would be held equally responsible for the death and mayhem. I'm not risking my freedom by betting the idiot wanting to race won't crash and kill someone.

The very fact they are acting/driving aggressively in the first place makes them much more likely to be prcisely the kind of idiot that will crash into innocent bystanders.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I find it funny that for me, in my last faster car, I had a lot more shitboxes driving like assholes around me and usually nicer cars, say modified mustangs or STIs, usually were chill and gave a thumbs up or rev here and there. A few would try to race but mostly it seemed like no one wanted to risk a ticket or worse in traffic.

My biggest issues are the mega assholes in CO that must get in front of you and then slow down, especially when you cannot pass them back safely. This shit happened every day on my drive home through the canyons. Figured moving to the city, I would get away from the hillbillys and things would be better. Nope same shit, different people. People are just so concerned these days about one car length. I feel like it is definitely a person problem and not a car problem. I have no issue if you want to go fast, that is not up to me to control. Just don't cut me off and then slow down.

I found for the canyon/more rural driving, the best thing to do is to get ahead and leave them behind in the corners whenever possible. In city driving, just go a little slower and relax. There are more shitty people a few hundred feet ahead. Now, it is pretty easy, I drive some of the slowest vehicles.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Downshifting to 4th gear and applying the gas is alot of effort in a car that makes good power, this is usually enough to disuad me from playing with morons.

Last edited:

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I get it mostly from subaru's and hondas with fart cans.
I used to go by what I named The Rule of Civic.
1. You raced a Civic and won. Wow, big deal, you beat a Civic.
2. You raced a Civic and lost.
You idiot, you got beat by a Civic.

I don't race anyone any more. Let 'em wonder if I'm running a blower, turbo, laughing gas or whatever. They'll never know for sure.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
This type of behavior will never change. I have been driving performance cars all my life and I'm knocking on 80 as the clock ticks. Everyday some yahoo has to rev their motor or lay rubber as they leave a light. And we all know most would be smoked if in fact we raced them. I just ignore them or acknowledge them in a friendly way. But it does put a smile on my face and my wife has that all knowing grin as well.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about racing me, but I get revved at all the time, most people haven't seen this color so it draws a lot of attention. I have a chuckle at their shenanigans, taking the civilized approach as they make an ass out of themselves.

IMG_20220805_203209960.jpg
That's what I get.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I only race cool cars (when its safe).

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I race them all. At the track 👍. But on the street I just use a combination of friendly waves and thumbs up.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys remember a few years back there was a viral video circulating with two guys in silver Corvettes that wrecked each other out street racing? That was about 4 miles from my previous home. People on that street are always trying to race you. Two memorable ones for me was a black Ecoboost and an Acura TLX that wanted to race me. I just laughed at the buffoons as they tried coerce me into it. Sorry guys, but I'm not gonna damage my car or far worse, injure someone, to help with your inferiority complex.