Sponsored

Time for sway bars.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Memorial day sales are coming and it seems like an opportunity to start on phase 2 of the suspension upgrade. I'm on GT350R springs and FRPP dampers and it's time to ditch the stock EB bars. I'm hoping to make the rear a little more responsive to throttle to induce a little oversteer when needed and to further flatten the car in the turns. The car is used on the street only, I don't expect the car to ever have the feel of my 944, but I think I can get it closer than it is now.
I'd originally planned to use the GT350R sway bars, thinking they should pair nicely with the springs. I was thinking that Ford engineered it as a package and, at the time, they were very inexpensive. Since that time, prices have more than doubled ($300 for bars and bushings, compared to $140 a little over a year ago) and are now a stone's throw from the price of a few other options. I'm now also considering BMR SB043 and Ford Performance M-5490-G, both of these offer the advantage of adjustability. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on these options.

If i do go with the Shelby parts, it leads me to a couple other questions. I've noticed that there is some question of availability when it comes to the GT350R front bushings, Levittown Ford's site doesn't show a bushing for the front bar. I have FR3Z-5484-C in my notes but Levittown says that part doesn't match (I'm using 2017 GT350R in my search as that is the last year showing non-magnaride parts). IIRC, I think I've heard about a superseded part number. Does anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Norm - I am not sure this table is accurate - I think Ford Performance's Magnaride Handling Kit has GT350R bars in it - and front one is couple of mm thicker than BMR one (I have measurements for both somewhere). Don't see how BMR soft rate would be lower than GT350R - unless the bar in the kit isn't GT350R one.

Edit - nevermind - I think the bar in the kit is thicker than stock GT350 one.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see any rate information for the M-5490-G bars, but I did find this information regarding bushings for it

You may or may not have seen this table of bar rates. Sorry for the outsize .jpg
Norm
Thanks, Norm. I hadn't seen that material, it's very helpful.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, do BMR front bar since the price difference is negligible or reversed, and the soft position on that bar is very close to the GT350 bar. I can't tell you the number of people I've worked with who had the urge to stiffen the rear bar and were very happy they did not after they did the front.
Thanks, Brian. You're input has always been on target. Keep in mind that I'm on base EB bars right now. I definitely need more in the rear than I currently have. I don't know that I really need that much more in the front, I'm more interested in making the back end respond more to throttle position. I'm used to being able to adjust my line with my right foot, I'd like to have that feeling in my Mustang as well. I realize that comparing this car to a modified 944 is apples and watermelons, but...

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The front bar provides stability and consistency and plants the inside rear. The heavier rear bar will only make it tougher to use the throttle with confidence.
100%. Everyone is always talking about a stiffer RARB. In many cars, I'll disconnect it. Am I the only guy on the planet that likes a fat front bar and a rear end that actually puts power to the ground? Ya, it pushes mid-corner, but I can go deep into a corner, keep the nose loaded with the brakes, roll off the brake, let the thing turn, then go to full-throttle without drifting the tail to the exit.

Most street cars are too neutral for me (once the cambers are in the ballpark). I think the development guys worry too much about getting a good skidpad number for magazines and too little about making the work in practical situations. No one is fast driving with their fingertips worried about the car swapping ends all the time.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve run a stiffer rear bar for a couple of years (autox reasons), and it can be a fun setup. Yes you need to ready to make corrections putting power down coming out of the corner and no I didn’t win any national championships with that setup, but it wasn’t broken or overly dangerous or anything. Car drove well.

I will say that most of the rear bars on the market are too stiff to run w/o a much stiffer front bar. The GT350R bar is soft enough I think to make it work and the Strano Performance solid rear bar is adjustable and not too stiff, thats what I ran (and still run, but now paired with a BMR front bar).

if the bar doesn’t come with clamps or a lip to keep it centered, get some clamps. You can use any mounts that fit a bar of the same diameter, so don’t sweat any specific mount.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the OEM bushings in the rear arms still? Freeing that up with a bearing or the Superpro bushing and getting a torsen diff out back make adjusting yaw with throttle just cake. I realize those are not small or easy mods but they are soooo key to making the car work. The torsen rotates the car without sliding dramatically better than the clutch pack if you let it work (keeping inside tire loaded).

The front bar provides stability and consistency and plants the inside rear. The heavier rear bar will only make it tougher to use the throttle with confidence.
Certainly not the info I was hoping for. I do still have the bushings, this round of parts is intended to be a few, simple to install parts. No alignment involved, jackstands in the driveway kind of stuff. I'm planning for the sways, lower k-brace and maybe rear upper shock mounts if I can stretch the budget that far. I'd like to add bearings at some point in the future (I'm not familiar with Superpro bushings, how do they compare?) But it won't be part of this upgrade. To be honest, I never really considered swapping the diff for a Torsen. Looks like there may be one or two more stages than I'd originally had in mind. Then again, this car's mission is "fun commuter vehicle," I may need to reevaluate my plans.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just think you'd be surprised how much the front bar doesn't hurt being playful with the car on throttle.
I'll definitely give it some thought, you haven't steered me wrong in the past.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you look at the front bar alone (more stiff = less grip on that end midcorner) it looks like something that wouldn't help on many levels. When you look at what it does for the load transfer with respect to the weight distribution, along improvements to the front suspension geometry dynamically, it's quite helpful.
You make it pretty easy to understand why I want to upgrade the front. I'm only having trouble when it comes to the idea that my tiny, base EB rear bar is enough for anything. I'd planned to upgrade both parts and my concern was getting the right balance between the 2, I'm struggling to wrap my brain around the idea that the rear needs nothing.

Sponsored

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey TGB, I too went this route and install GT350R springs and front sway bar only. . Didn’t change the rear sway bar due to being a PP2. Regardless if you decide to go a different bar, those bushings you noted are the ones I ordered and installed. Had help from Benny at Levittown Ford in deciphering what was the correct part number. Make sure you order the brackets as well. Years ago I rented a 944 from Budget, really fun car to drive and look at.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm off to find part numbers, the notes I took when I first started planning 15 months ago don't have the pp1 rear bar or bushings, only EB, GT350 and GT350R.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable sway bars = winning in my book. They can really set/change the handling dynamic of the car with minimal effort.

I’m in the minority, but I like a bigger rear bar. I’ve had mine for years and love the dynamic; I recently added the front bar to button the nose down (it did so blissfully). Both are worth the time of install and money—in hind sight I would have put both on earlier, and simultaneously.

OP
OP
Dave TBG

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey TGB, I too went this route and install GT350R springs and front sway bar only. . Didn’t change the rear sway bar due to being a PP2. Regardless if you decide to go a different bar, those bushings you noted are the ones I ordered and installed. Had help from Benny at Levittown Ford in deciphering what was the correct part number. Make sure you order the brackets as well. Years ago I rented a 944 from Budget, really fun car to drive and look at.
Thanks, good info.
I've had my 944 since before my son was born, even took my pregnant wife to lamaze classes in it, my son is 20 now. Over the years it's seen 7-8 years of autocross, countless DEs and a couple car control clinics. It's worked it's way from stock to "barely street legal," it's lost over 300 lbs including 17 lbs just from the crank. It's on 944 Turbo S M030 springs and sway bars and Koni yellows. Unfortunately, I wore it out, it needs everything gone through so now it's been sitting in my driveway for a couple years. It might be a good project when I retire, but that's probably a ways off.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey TBG, you need to post at least one pic. Looks like she’s part of the family.
Sponsored