Sponsored

Throttle House S650 review- first 30 seconds nailed it

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree, I'm huge fan of steering. Almost pulled the trigger on an Alpine white E92 M3 but read the horror stories with rod bearings and went and bought a mustang. I do like the steering on the Camaro 1LE over the Mustang.
Interesting. All the Camaro reviews I've seen say the Camaro steering has less feedback than the Mustang. Steering feedback is one of those things I don't really notice much, so I can't say from personal experience. But people like Savage Geese and Randy Pobst generally seem to know what they are talking about.

I wonder if Steeda 'fixed' the factory alignment whereas none of the other guys did. Put 2+ deg neg camber up front and proper tires and pressure it may well have behaved "better".

Good on Thomas et. al. shredding the "all new" lies.

The SS/1LE feels like you've got the front axle in your hands - ok, not near as much as a good motorcycle chassis, but you KNOW what's going on up there. The C8 felt remote and imprecise as well - like Thomas said "this thing can rail thru corners, I'm sure of it, but I can't bring myself to try because I have no idea what's going on up there."
I personally think that steering feel is over rated, but then I've always owned cheap cars like Mustangs. Thomas is a BMW guy and maybe the old BMWs have some feel. Based on reviews, the new ones don't. I think Thomas is biased against the Mustang to some degree, because the lack of feel is common across many cars, but I've never heard him spout off so much or make such a big deal of it.

If Thomas can't push cars that don't have a lot of steering feel, he hasn't pushed most cars he's driven in the last 15 years. Even Porsche was getting a ton of knocks for lack of steering feel, and they charge house money for some of their stuff.

The SS and 1LE have precise steering, but the feel is worse than Mustang according to all the professional reviews I've ever watched.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Interesting. All the Camaro reviews I've seen say the Camaro steering has less feedback than the Mustang. Steering feedback is one of those things I don't really notice much, so I can't say from personal experience. But people like Savage Geese and Randy Pobst generally seem to know what they are talking about.

I personally think that steering feel is over rated, but then I've always owned cheap cars like Mustangs. Thomas is a BMW guy and maybe the old BMWs have some feel. Based on reviews, the new ones don't. I think Thomas is biased against the Mustang to some degree, because the lack of feel is common across many cars, but I've never heard him spout off so much or make such a big deal of it.

If Thomas can't push cars that don't have a lot of steering feel, he hasn't pushed most cars he's driven in the last 15 years. Even Porsche was getting a ton of knocks for lack of steering feel, and they charge house money for some of their stuff.

The SS and 1LE have precise steering, but the feel is worse than Mustang according to all the professional reviews I've ever watched.
Hack, sometimes I wonder what planet you live on based on your posts. I have never seen a review that said the Mustang has better steering feel than the Camaro. The only ones I’ve seen that compare to a Camaro are the S550 Shelby variants (GT350R and CFTP GT500 specifically), except those have been mixed. Some say as good as Camaro, some say not as good. Heck, even when Thomas and James made their “budget dream car”, they chose Camaro steering.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I have found that with mustangs and their outward appearance I can't make an honest take till I see

Cobra
Somebody who tricks one out with all the things (rims spoilers custom stuff etc)

Always found the base model and even base gt's always lack some some design oomph versus the competitors.

Videos like this help but still leaves me wanting just a bit more.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
What did Ford change on the steering for the S650? I can't remember but they did something, right? I remember people complaining about it.
It's a different steering rack compared to the S550. Which makes me want to take TH's opinion with a grain of salt. The S550 already has non-existent feedback so there's no way it could be less than that with a new car right?

Love love TH but maybe they are off base on this one.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hack, sometimes I wonder what planet you live on based on your posts. I have never seen a review that said the Mustang has better steering feel than the Camaro. The only ones I’ve seen that compare to a Camaro are the S550 Shelby variants (GT350R and CFTP GT500 specifically), except those have been mixed. Some say as good as Camaro, some say not as good. Heck, even when Thomas and James made their “budget dream car”, they chose Camaro steering.
The same planet as you, and I remember car stuff very well. There are many reviews I have watched multiple times.

The same thing has been said of Camaros for years. Very precise steering, but numb. It's nothing unusual, when you have sticky, wide tires under a heavy car and you want the steering wheel to turn easily, in many cases you end up with little or no feel.

The GT350 vs. ZL1/1LE stuff is very notable, yes.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder why it's so damn hard for there to be max boost at 10 mph maneuver but basically none at 45 mph or higher? Granted the insane ratios modern cars would have to be jettisoned for ratios a human can actually wield.

Someone posted about a Tesla doing full lock at barely a quarter turn. That's insanely wrong. But if that was speed ratiod then it could be forgiven. Maybe

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's a different steering rack compared to the S550. Which makes me want to take TH's opinion with a grain of salt. The S550 already has non-existent feedback so there's no way it could be less than that with a new car right?

Love love TH but maybe they are off base on this one.
I would say my M1 steering has good feedback. My GT, was a little more vague but nothing to whine about. Spoiled compared to my old RX-7 though which had amazing feedback.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
What speed was I going officer? I couldn't tell;

1690378344278.png

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Because if they offered it on the GT, no one would spend for the DH.
I agree but GM gives (gave) you a Tremec regardless of what level of V8 you buy. And I think its the 6060 which is stronger than the 3156 iirc. Ford should have done the same a good while ago IMHO.

Last edited:

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
What did Ford change on the steering for the S650? I can't remember but they did something, right? I remember people complaining about it.
They removed the rag joint in the steering column.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Pretty much what everyone figured it’d be. I’m sure it appeals to some people but I don’t really care for the updates. Feels like they tried to make it more like a 2 series BMW but didn’t do it as nicely.

It really is more “video gamey” and gimmicky, but not necessarily in a good way. I prefer the 2018+ models and I say that as a 26 yr old who loves playing video games.
I prefer 13-17s and Im a 34yo Gamer

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and of course have their own preferences.

My opinion (so far from pictures and video reviews) is that the S650, as TH mentioned, seems more of a refresh than a complete redesign, fundamentally speaking. I too will be keeping my '21 GT, but the primary knock on the tech/digital screens is a bit overblown. I'm with most ppl's opinions here that I prefer analog gauges, but I also feel that had Ford not gone with the times/trend and implemented digital gauges/screens integration, potential buyers will also be turned off by it. Mustang purists represents such a small %/take rate in terms of sales, so it's smart for Ford to put features in that sells.

I also agree with Jakob from TheStraightPipes that I would've been all over the S650 if it was designed based on the Fox Body design; the day that happens (it likely never will, but one can dream"!) I'll be all over it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
been all over the S650 if it was designed based on the Fox Body design
General shape, or do you also mean underpinnings?

This morning I stood next to 2 LX verts, 2 Fox's and a 99 cobra chassis and drive line covered in actual '55 sport wagon body in cream and copper.

Ignoring that the fox/lx were rust buckets, I thought they looked awful. The wagon was gorgeous.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
General shape, or do you also mean underpinnings?

This morning I stood next to 2 LX verts, 2 Fox's and a 99 cobra chassis and drive line covered in actual '55 sport wagon body in cream and copper.

Ignoring that the fox/lx were rust buckets, I thought they looked awful. The wagon was gorgeous.
I'm just talking about the general shape/body design

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
As an initial S650 hater who grew to quite like one, these reviews have knocked me back again, seeing the screens and talk of totally numb steering have put a stop to my interest :(
Sponsored