Throttle assist on starts

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I remember when I first got my 2017 a few months ago that I was amazed that with the over-center, crazy-light clutch, it seemed almost impossible to stall the car taking off. Since then I've put in the Steeda clutch spring which helped smooth things out. But, I've noticed recently that if I let the clutch out slowly without touching the throttle, the engine actually revs up on it's own as the clutch begins to engage - makes it nearly impossible to stall the car unless you just dump the clutch pedal. I know my 2012 GT didn't exhibit this feature as I had to feed it throttle when letting the clutch out or it would stall with the 3.31 ratio.

Anyone know if this is designed in, or is it just a more aggressive engine management system compensating for the engine rpm being slightly pulled down when the clutch starts to engage? Just curious. :confused:
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I can’t remember where I read it but I do remember reading this is an intended feature. When you ease off the clutch and don’t touch the accelerator the computer will manage throttle a bit.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Yeah. Same thing with the GT. It's nice in stop and go traffic.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Not rocket science.... It's just trying to maintain idle speed under a little load.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
ECU has a minimum torque and load that it will maintain. When you drop below that threshold, engine will open the TB to maintain that load. It is found in the tune files for the car.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Its an anti-stall feature, and its super annoying at times. Find the wrong amount of throttle and it will begin to make the car shudder hard as it opens and closes the throttle repeatedly.

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Thanks - appears most of consensus is it's an intended feature to prevent clutch stalls. I like it so far - makes the car a bit easier to drive in traffic than my 2012 GT. Actually, considering the Ford dyno comparisons, the GT350 motor seems to pull stronger and smoother in low speed driving and tight corners than my old Coyote did. I used to take tight city street corners in 3rd gear with the GT and get a little engine rattle pulling out of it. I can take the same corners in 4th in the GT350 and it pulls away smooth without any engine rattle, although 3rd is still a better choice. Some of it is probably the shorter rear gear however.
Sponsored