Sponsored

Thoughts on the 2023 Z06?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I just paid deposit for a Z06 convertible.

Wife will take the Mach 1 when I get my C8. Super excited.
Congratulations as pretty cool stuff!!

Are the order banks open yet or is your dealership just taking deposits and will then apply your deposit once the order banks officially open up?
Sponsored

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Congratulations as pretty cool stuff!!

Are the order banks open yet or is your dealership just taking deposits and will then apply your deposit once the order banks officially open up?
Order banks not open yet. Itā€™s MacMulkin motors; they are taking reservations and adding to the waitlist.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I am still not sure I love the sound because frankly I donā€™t get much from the videos, but looks like they have reengineered the exhaust.

I also think the drive of Z06 is going to be far superior to Stingray hence it was easy to order this C8 Z06.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I simply don't want it. My '17 Z was a PITA to keep planted. The rear end would come out in a heartbeat. Even after having attended the school at Spring Mountain, still had to be careful. It's going to be interesting to see how many get wrecked once they are on the street.
That actually was the point of going mid-engine. More mass over the rear wheels will help keep the rear planted.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question isā€¦would we have this new Z06, flat plane crank, carbon fiber wheels vette, if Ford had never introduced the GT350 in 2015?
Answer is a resounding yes. I was doing Competitor Intel for GM, including the Corvette team. By the time my team told the Corvette team and the Powertrain engineers that GT350 was getting FTC, they were already working on the 5.5L. This was 2013 or 14.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to Ewheels and s2ms for posting those great reads, with a lot of nice insights :thumbsup:

Interesting (and somewhat expected) that GM also had issues with oil filters vibrating off prototype engines during development. I wonder how much GM kept tabs on some of the same issues Ford was dealing with on the Voodoo, and having all those lessons factored in. Because it seems that the oil filters spinning off caught them off guard - 'Juechter even said that early prototypes were so violent, oil filters were spinning off during testing. "It was like there were ghosts in the machine..." '
Also will be interesting to see if GM uses a canister-style filter on this LT6 engine as well.
The thing is, GM had the issues with the oil filters spinning off before the first Voodos hit the streets. This is because, as Iā€™ve mentioned, GM started development on the 5.5L before my team confirmed for them that GT350 was getting FPC. The target at the start of Gemini (thatā€™s the engine project name) development was Ferrari 458, not Voodoo. GM typically begins engine development before vehicle development because it takes longer to develop a clean sheet of paper engine. The Powertrain guys had a rough idea of what Tadge needed in a midship placed engine and started the work with Ferrari 458 as a target.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh really ???
z1989-chevrolet-corvette-zr-1-57-liter-v-8-engine-photo-525370-s-986x603.jpg
One of my first ā€œbig boyā€ jobs at GM was taking that engine out of production. Mercury Marine was the assembler. Period. GM and Lotus did all the engineering work. I was at Stillwater watching the last engines come off the line. I had contracted an engine remanufacturer to acquire the last engines coming off the line to be packaged up and stored to accommodate future warranty replacements and so I was there to see it happen.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean isn't it set to release summer 2023, hopefully the world is pretty normal again by then but it won't probably won't be so you may be right
No. It releases in the summer of 2022 as a 2023 model year.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The thing is, GM had the issues with the oil filters spinning off before the first Voodos hit the streets. This is because, as Iā€™ve mentioned, GM started development on the 5.5L before my team confirmed for them that GT350 was getting FPC. The target at the start of Gemini (thatā€™s the engine project name) development was Ferrari 458, not Voodoo. GM typically begins engine development before vehicle development because it takes longer to develop a clean sheet of paper engine. The Powertrain guys had a rough idea of what Tadge needed in a midship placed engine and started the work with Ferrari 458 as a target.
Thanks for that clarification :thumbsup: (I actually didn't catch your previous posts) which seems to line up and make sense with much of ther other info that's been released in the 5.5.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you're right about Ferrari V8 crankshafts being UDDU and the Voodoo being UDUD. Also, I wonder how much the intake manifold contributes. Both Ferrari and the new Chevy LT6 5.5 use a dual throttle body/dual intake plenum configuration. If I remember right, the Voodoo doesn't or can't use the dual intake because of the UDUD configuration.

The LT6 intake (everything about it really) is a brilliant piece of engineering. It seems you get the quick response of individual throttle bodies with the trumpets inside the plenums and improved lower-end torque controlled with those three valves between the plenums. This setup is similar in concept and engineering to the intake of the new Porsche GT3. Jason Fenske has great videos on Engineering Explained about the new GT3 and LT6 engines.
I think itā€™s the other way around. I think it is UDUD because Ford chose to not go with dual throttle bodies. Why they made that choice I donā€™t know, but assume they have their reasons. The Ferrari 458 was already out there with dual plenum / throttle body and UDDU before Voodoo appeared. That was GMā€™s target for 5.5L development. When I was at GM, the Corvette team bought two 458s. One for driving, one for disassembly / benchmarking. The drivetrain was boxed and shipped to the Powertrain team in Pontiac. I spent a lot of time pouring over the disassembled engine before Voodoo ever hit the street.

Longitude Zero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, 2007 Mustang V6.
It is going to a phenominal winner takes all American made sports ar.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Answer is a resounding yes. I was doing Competitor Intel for GM, including the Corvette team. By the time my team told the Corvette team and the Powertrain engineers that GT350 was getting FTC, they were already working on the 5.5L. This was 2013 or 14.
Without taking into consideration any time for R&D of Ford's 5.2L FPC engine and the subsequent launch of their 50th Anniversary Shelby GT350/R's which was in July, 2015 are you telling us that GM and Chevrolet may have come up with the idea of developing and engineering a FPC engine for their 2023 Z06 Corvette prior to Ford coming up with that same idea for their 2015 GT350/R?

With that being the case why has it taken GM and the Corvette Team some 8 years to develop and engineer their 5.5L FPC engine and over 9 years to actually launch a FPC engine in their 2023 Corvette?

I find it interesting that after Ford and the Flat Rock Assembly Plant had already produced some ~24,200 GT350/R's over 6 model years (2015 - 2020) we have someone from GM coming onto this Shelby GT350 Mustang Forum and stating that GM had possibly initiated this FPC initiative before Ford did even though it is going to take Chevrolet some 9 years to actually provide a FPC powered vehicle that will finally be available for sale to the general public. :facepalm:

Then again maybe there was some collaboration between Ford and GM at about the same time way back in 2013 that very few individuals are aware of? :wink:

BTW, I know that I am not very intelligent but please clarify what is an FTC?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without taking into consideration any time for R&D of Ford's 5.2L FPC engine and the subsequent launch of their 50th Anniversary Shelby GT350/R's which was in July, 2015 are you telling us that GM and Chevrolet may have come up with the idea of developing and engineering a FPC engine for their 2023 Z06 Corvette prior to Ford coming up with that same idea for their 2015 GT350/R?
I am telling you that GM came up with the idea of an FPC V8 engine for the mid engine C8 independently and long before Fordā€™s use of an FPC V8 for GT350 became common knowledge. Keep in mind if you will, that C7 was originally intended to be mid-engine before GM had to deal with bankruptcy. It would have launched in 2012 or 13, but bankruptcy delayed the vehicle and forced investment reduction that pushed the mid-engine clean sheet of paper approach back a generation, even though the development work had already started.

With that being the case why has it taken GM and the Corvette Team some 8 years to develop and engineer their 5.5L FPC engine and over 9 years to actually launch a FPC engine in their 2023 Corvette?
It didnā€™t. The engine has been ready for a couple years. A lot of the timing was thrown off because of the bankruptcy. Development of the car stopped and transitioned back to front engine for the 2014 C7 launch. But the engine development didnā€™t have to stop. It slowed down, but it didnā€™t stop. Then the engine went into Motorsports. C8.R. Been there for about two championship years. It theoretically could have been in the vehicle at launch, but thatā€™s not the way Corvette launches vehicles. Base (Stingray) first, then Z06, then Grand Sport (or E-Ray if they stick with that stupid name), then ZR1 and/or Zora.

I find it interesting that after Ford and the Flat Rock Assembly Plant had already produced some ~24,200 GT350/R's over 6 model years (2015 - 2020) we have someone from GM coming onto this Shelby GT350 Mustang Forum and stating that GM had possibly initiated this FPC initiative before Ford did even though it is going to take Chevrolet some 9 years to actually provide a FPC powered vehicle that will finally be available for sale to the general public. :facepalm:
Believe what you want. Iā€™ve actually been a part of this board (officially) for a couple years. Unofficially for much longer. Iā€™m here because I like Mustangs and have actually owned more Mustangs than Corvettes and Camaros combined over my many years at GM. But as far as C8 and 5.5L development, I was there through it all (until I retired inā€™17) so I do know of what I speak. To be honest, the Corvette team was very much not interested in what my team brought to them regarding Mustang. Camaro team? Very interested. Corvette team? ā€œGood to knowā€¦now about that Ferrari?ā€ The Powertrain team, like my own, operated across both teams, so they were at least interested in Voodoo, but not nearly to the level that they were into the Ferrari V8.
Then again maybe there was some collaboration between Ford and GM at about the same time way back in 2013 that very few individuals are aware of? :wink:
Nope. Just transmissions. And even then, there was never full disclosure between the two companies. Ford had no idea GM was working on a heavy duty version for ZL1 that would launch before everything else.

BTW, I know that I am not very intelligent but please clarify what is an FTC?
An FTC is a typo. Or Federal Trade Commission. Pick yer poison šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

Voodoo Blues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2017 Impreza
I think itā€™s the other way around. I think it is UDUD because Ford chose to not go with dual throttle bodies. Why they made that choice I donā€™t know, but assume they have their reasons. The Ferrari 458 was already out there with dual plenum / throttle body and UDDU before Voodoo appeared. That was GMā€™s target for 5.5L development. When I was at GM, the Corvette team bought two 458s. One for driving, one for disassembly / benchmarking. The drivetrain was boxed and shipped to the Powertrain team in Pontiac. I spent a lot of time pouring over the disassembled engine before Voodoo ever hit the street.
Interesting and good to hear from someone who was there at GM and a Mustang guy too. The maybe bigger picture here is that both Ford and GM looked at the successful and enviable, certainly from an engineering point of view, Ferrari 458, to improve their own V8 programs in their top performance cars.
It's more rewarding to discuss engineering in forums like this than cultural rivalry or the subjectiveness of aesthetics or brand loyalty. I grew up with GM V8s and never thought I would own and drive -- let alone love -- something like a Ford Mustang the neighbors had in their driveway! Turns out for me it isn't your tribe verses my tribe. I found the GT350 because I really wanted the DOHC, high rev, road race worthy V8 that (gasp!) Ford got to market first. First, relatively affordable, great V8 from an American team. Sure I would'a had a sexy, smart Italian if I had the money. Thrilling as that would have been, I think I've stumbled onto something more rewarding. Driving my GT350 to the grocery store the long way is almost always an exercise of joy and meditation. Believe it or not.
Sponsored