Sponsored

Those who had a 2017 and now a 2018 - whats it like?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I'll throw my 2 cents in...
I work for Ford (corporate) and had to make the same decision for my next personal car. I'd driven a lot of '16/17 S550's in different combinations and ordered my '18 400A GT PP1 A10 with Magneride and active exhaust. The '17 GT PP1 M6 gearing is too short for my taste for long distance trips. The '18 is quite a bit quicker/faster. There's a reason why all the tuners are touting the E85 tunes and not their regular unleaded tunes. It's because they're not getting much gain over stock unlike the 15-17' cars due to the '18's being that good from the factory. The Magneride suspension is a bit more soft in normal setting versus one without it. It's noticeably more comfortable on the interstate. The A10 is a huge improvement once it learns your driving style. It keeps the car in the meat of the power all the way through at full throttle. Another deciding factor was the active exhaust. I run in quiet mode 99% of the time and it's more than loud enough in track mode so best of both worlds. The Michelin PS4S tires are a big improvement over the '17 offerings also.
I got A-plan pricing on my car so the difference between a leftover '17 or a '18 wasn't as big a difference as a normal buyer but I still think it's worth the upgrade to an '18. You get a lot more car but it comes at a higher cost.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I have a 2015 auto GT. I recently drove a 2018 GT auto a few blocks to gas it up for a customer. The 18 seemed to hunt for gears a lot. At one point under light to moderate throttle it downshifted with a hard bang. Combined with the much louder stock exhaust it would be totally unacceptable as a daily driver, for me. I wanted to hug my 15 on the drive home.
Interesting you say that. Makes me wonder if its an assembly issue or a learning issue of the A10 tranny. I have the A10 in my GT and I have put about 4,8xx miles on it so far and I have not had any hard downshifts or upshifts. If it has those firm shifts it is is S or S+ mode and they feel good. In D, the shifts are so smooth I cannot feel them but can only know from sound.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Test drove a 17 base ecoboost last week. The 6 speed is ok, but the 10 speed is so much better. The hood on the 18s are better for forward visibility. The 18 felt slightly stronger too with the extra torque.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Interesting you say that. Makes me wonder if its an assembly issue or a learning issue of the A10 tranny. I have the A10 in my GT and I have put about 4,8xx miles on it so far and I have not had any hard downshifts or upshifts. If it has those firm shifts it is is S or S+ mode and they feel good. In D, the shifts are so smooth I cannot feel them but can only know from sound.
I think it's a learning thing. If the car thst was driven was loe milage, for sure. The car I test drove had seven miles on it. I put about 20 miles on it. There was a significant difference between the transmission characteristics on mile 7 and mile, say, 25. Much improved. It was annoying with the smount of hunting at mile 7.

Sponsored

sijoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had a 16 Base GT that I thought was fast. Then I bought the 18 GT Premium 401a with A10 trans....wow. Night and day difference.

The power increase is apparent but I think it's the trans that makes the biggest difference. The car always seems to have power to spare. I can't imagine what it would be like with boost.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I have a 2016 premium 6 speed GT. I must be getting old, but I'm jonesing for the A10. I do not want to even take a test drive, I know I'd be signing..... But, bottom line, will the smile be that much larger? I still enjoy the hell out of my 16.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have a 2016 premium 6 speed GT. I must be getting old, but I'm jonesing for the A10. I do not want to even take a test drive, I know I'd be signing..... But, bottom line, will the smile be that much larger? I still enjoy the hell out of my 16.
just traded a roush phase 1 manual 16 for my 18. i was hesitant to lose the supercharger but surprisingly the car does not feel slow, its pretty surprising.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Do it! I traded my 15 GTPP in for a base 18 GT 10spd and can't stop smiling. Every time I grip the buttery soft leather steering wheel and just drive with ease I love it. It is as fast as a bolt on 15-17 stock and the exhaust note is so much better even with the non active exhaust. I only drove the 15 on weekends but this car I have decided to daily because it is just that good to drive. The gas mileage is also incredible for me. After about 1200 miles on it I am now seeing 25mpg driving 40 miles to work. Even with occasional hard throttle for fun I am still seeing a 21-23mpg average!

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If I could take a guess, someone with a loaded 2017 that traded for a 2018 is probably really poor. Performance or not, that is just a stupid financial decision. Cars are already a horrible financial investment to begin with, but don't make it worse.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
just traded a roush phase 1 manual 16 for my 18. i was hesitant to lose the supercharger but surprisingly the car does not feel slow, its pretty surprising.
x10.

I had a tt 2014 coyote car that ran 10s and a GT500 with 600+ wheel torque.

This new 18 satisfies me! (for now lol). Seriously though, it does NOT feel slow or make me want to mod it immediately like I thought it would.

Im sure some of it has to do with the louder factory exhaust. Makes you think/feel like you are going faster than you actually are.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Unless your putting your car in a bubble for 50yrs buying a mustang is a poor financial decision in the first place. I don't think any really poor people buy 30-50k sports cars. Its a matter of preference and priority. I bought a 15 GTPP but found after 3yrs that I never needed the perf pack for how I enjoyed my car. I also found that I stared at it with a car cover on it more then drove it due to it having black paint (impossible to keep looking good for long) and the manual trans/clutch (not great). When the 10spd came out and the other engine updates for 18 it made sense for me. Drop the unneeded stuff and my car payment was less on the 18 then on my 15. This car also makes as much power with a CAI and tune as my other car made with full bolt ons and catless. Now I can pass an emissions test with no worry. It may seem like a poor financial decision but for people like me, I could not be happier.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If I could take a guess, someone with a loaded 2017 that traded for a 2018 is probably really poor. Performance or not, that is just a stupid financial decision. Cars are already a horrible financial investment to begin with, but don't make it worse.
Not sure what youre basing you decision off of the say that someone buying an 18 mustang is poor, this is just ignorant. im pretty sure we all know cars are a money pit. thats like saying anyone who buys mods for their car is poor because thats all money thrown away. this is for enjoyment and as long as you can pay your bills and live how you want to live there is no reason you can trade your car every year. of course the average person cant do that especially those of us that like to mod.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Not sure what youre basing you decision off of the say that someone buying an 18 mustang is poor, this is just ignorant. im pretty sure we all know cars are a money pit. thats like saying anyone who buys mods for their car is poor because thats all money thrown away. this is for enjoyment and as long as you can pay your bills and live how you want to live there is no reason you can trade your car every year. of course the average person cant do that especially those of us that like to mod.
If you're trading a car in that's barely a year old to upgrade to next years model, just based on that financial decision alone you probably aren't very good with money. At that rate, you could be doing forced induction for the money you lose especially if you're trading in every year. You should probably lease instead.

I guess that's the difference between someone with a lot of debt and someone with not as much and wants to retire one day.
Sponsored