Sponsored

Thinking to buy a Mustang

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’ve only owned Mustangs for all of my cars. 1990 LX Convertible, 2001 GT Convertible, 2013 GT Premium, 2016 GT Premium, 2019 PP1 GT Premium. Come at me :fistbump::turkey::flag:
Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
My wife had a Camaro for a year. Every time I drove it I was impressed by the drivetrain and handling, less impressed by the ride quality and the hideous visibility and the feeling of driving inside of a coffin.

There is no substitute for a test drive. I test drove a couple of GTs, PP1, PP1 Premium and Bullitt before I made up my mind.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My wife had a Camaro for a year. Every time I drove it I was impressed by the drivetrain and handling, less impressed by the ride quality and the hideous visibility and the feeling of driving inside of a coffin.

There is no substitute for a test drive. I test drove a couple of GTs, PP1, PP1 Premium and Bullitt before I made up my mind.
All that can be solved by buying a convertible and only driving it with the top down. Other than ride quality but you have bimmer in your name so Im sure you're used to shitty ride quality. :wink:

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Other than ride quality but you have bimmer in your name so Im sure you're used to shitty ride quality. :wink:
LOL, ain't that the truth! Gads. I sold my M2 to buy the Mustang. Sure, the BMW interior is loads better, the build quality, paint, fit & finish, all that is better, but the miserable ride, horrible road noise and quite frankly disappointing performance took a toll on my love for the roundel.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am also a long time fan of German and Japanese sports cars. I was also a Chevy fan for many years.My most recent cars, before the Mustang, were a Porsche 997.2 and BMW 335i. I usually buy used models and keep them for about 2 years, because I like variety. So, I've been able to compare a lot of cars, long term. The Mustang lacks the build quality of German and high-end Japanese cars. Panel alignment and paint quality are poor. The leather interior is not as good, but it's certainly acceptable. It doesn't handle as well, mostly because it's big. But, the Mustang has a lot going for it, especially if you are looking for a convertible with some rear seat room. It is the most bang for the buck in terms of size, performance, handling and interior design and features. The Coyote engine and A10 transmission make up for any short-comings in other areas. (The manual transmission is inferior to my 11 year old BMW manual). The best part is it doesn't have anything that costs a fortune if you break it.

I agree about the BMW M series. One of those was enough for me. That's why I have a 335i.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
As others have said, test drive them. After my mustang buying experience, I will never buy a new car differently. Test drove an automatic premium fully loaded and then a manual bare bones right after. Then I ordered the options/color I wanted. Waiting for the car can suck but if you don't need it right away, it's completely the way to go. Nobody will have test driven it except employees at the factory and dealership. You get exactly what you want, no settling on color or options you want or don't want. Maybe the new Camaros have improved but the one I test drove in 2010 was absolutely terrible to me. They look amazing on the outside though! I also like the dodge cars inside and out but they're a little more proud of them.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
The best part is it doesn't have anything that costs a fortune if you break it.
I was trying to put in a new stereo in the Mustang this weekend (long story) and I was gong to have to cut out a large portion of the dash to make the new one fit. The wife was like "oh my!" and I said, "there's nothing on this car that I can't just go to the Ford dealer and buy a replacement part." And she said, "and for a lot less money than that BMW". FWIW, I bailed on the stereo install, it didn't sound all that great for the money I was spending.

The car already has a great sound system, it's called a V8.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Tell that to the Ford engineers who made “Drag Mode” exclusive to PP vehicles with Magneride ;)
Spoiler: I’m joking.....
Which cars get drag mode? I thought it was only on Magneride cars. AFAIK, drag mode softens the rear Magneride shocks to send more weight to the rear.

Which reminds me.......I've never tried it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Which cars get drag mode? I thought it was only on Magneride cars. AFAIK, drag mode softens the rear Magneride shocks to send more weight to the rear.

I have drag mode without magneride. Believe you only need pp1 but could be wrong.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I have drag mode without magneride. Believe you only need pp1 but could be wrong.
Yep PP1 here without mag ride and have drag mode. Didn't notice any difference from track or sport for that matter when doing launches.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You need PP1 for Drag Mode. Also, Magnaride requires PP1 anyway.
It does things to the traction and stability control too, if you have an A10 it tries to keep the revs at “optimal torque” or something for each shift.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
301a, 400a, and 401a have it on the GT. Basically if you have toggle switches, you get all the modes regardless of Magneride/PP/Active exhaust. Drag mode with the 10R80 is something special.
Eh? I thought Drag Mode wasn’t there unless you had one of the Performance Packs?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I use drag mode with my Premium GT convertible when I feel like pissing off other drivers.
Sponsored