Sponsored

Thinking of buying a GT ...

Litefoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda,Mazda,GMC
I've test drove a couple of GT premium with pp and really like it. I think the performace package is a good deal, however not sure if I alike the staggered wheel size and summer tires,the idea of buying a new car and not being able to drive it at Temps less than 40 deg F/ nasty weather is not ideal, but its not a deal killer for me. How much of a performance decrease should I expect changing either/both square set up / good all season tires ? ZE]
Sponsored

Last edited:

BAdrosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
I'm sorry I can't read this, can you make the font a little bigger?

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I have driven my PP GT in 5 degree weather and didn't have any problem. Just leave it in normal mode and go easy on the throttle and there is no problem. Also my tires have not shredded apart as some might have you believe will happen. :D

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
LOL please change to normal font. I would just keep a set of winter/all season tires around for when you need them but all seasons aren't going to destroy the performance by any means

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
drove mine all through winter just fine. Just take it easy when the temps are around 40 or below. When it's cold AND wet, just be careful and drive normally. Punching it in those conditions will put you in a ditch, just like it probably would with all seasons.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
been driving GT Premium PP here in Houston near you, no issues with the summer tires. Drove many years on summer tires on several cars in the winter here no issues

OP
OP

Litefoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda,Mazda,GMC
Thats reassuring, didn't want to change out tires or wheels right at the start.

3 pedal metal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My '12 GT had summer only tires that came with its Brembo package. I drove that car through 2 Maryland winters, including snow. While the all season tires I replaced them with were better, when I bought my '16 GT with the PP, I didn't swap out the summer only tires. Full disclosure: I have a Jeep TJ for really bad weather, but I do DD my Mustang in winter still.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Running the Pirellis in cold weather isn't really advisable. I don't think new tires will crack, but they won't be very good in extreme cold, rain and snow. A square setup will probably improve the handling, since the car tends to understeer a bit with the narrower fronts.

I'd say throw some square all seasons on the staggered wheels for now and put the unused PZeros back on when summer rolls around.

Skrapmetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
I've driving on Pirelli's in some pretty damn cold weather, it slides around like the plastic tires of a Big Wheel. But they certainly don't fall off the rim or anything.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ive driven my Perfpack Gt all thru this winter. Inspected my tires last night and no issues. I say bs on that myth!

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Ive driven my Perfpack Gt all thru this winter. Inspected my tires last night and no issues. I say bs on that myth!
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Your tires are not designed to work optimally in cold weather. You do not have as much traction as you should.

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
Since the Pirelli's have a short shelf life and last 5k-10k, maybe use those and when its time, switch to an All Season.

IslandHopper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 401A PP
We don't have cold weather here in Houston! :) ... the stock tires work just fine on the street in Houston's winter.
Sponsored