Sponsored

Thinking on Buying a Mustang GT

OmegaRze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and thinking about getting a Mustang GT Premium with Performance Pack. I drove one the other day and they are finally small enough for someone like me to reach the clutch without having my knees in the dash. The bf had a 2012 Boss 302 which I loved, but couldn't reach the clutch, and now a GT350 which the seats are a little too bit for me, but when I drove the plain GT I can see over the hood and reach the clutch without my knees in the Dash OR cutting off circulation from the seat. (they really should make cars with smaller seats or have an option for smaller seats)

This would be my first time ever owning a muscle car. I've owned a Tiburon GT, RX-8, WRX, 370z, and now a Mazdaspeed 3. I've always wanted the power of a big V8 but could never fit. I honestly like all fast cars, doesn't really matter that I am moving from JDM to Muscle.

Reasons I got rid of my many cars -

2006 Tiburon GT - had sense I was 16 over 100k miles - slow
2007 RX-8 - Loved this car but major mechanical failure
2013 - WRX - seats too big and was cutting off circulation in my legs and making my feet swell
2015 - 370z - fun, but couldn't stand it as a daily - 1 cup holder that was useless, no glasses holder, can't buy paper towels because they wouldn't fit in hatch.
2013 - Mazdaspeed 3 - still have it but its slow, but has nice cup holders and trunk space.

I want to pass people quickly, and have respect on the road - vans pull out in front of my mazdaspeed, and V6 Camry's try to keep up and they can't but the MS3 isn't fast enough to blow them out of the water.

So I am thinking Mustang...... Are you guys/gals happy with it as a daily? Does it meet every need? IF I buy a mustang it means our house no longer has a "grocery" getter. We would have a GT350, GT, 1996 GMC Seirra single cab, v6.

But I am not allowed to commute in the GT350 - why does he get to have the super fast car and me the grocery getter.

To mustang or not to mustang is the question?! Opinions of all sorts welcome! I am thinking it will tick off all the boxes, but I had my 370z for 6 months before I couldn't live with it... don't want that happening again.

Thanks - OmegaRze!
Sponsored

OP
OP

OmegaRze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
Focus RS?
The seats are too big in the Focus ST and Focus RS.... I've looked :brokenheart:

Maybe I shouldn't say too big - the seats are too long for my short legs and they are angled very high up.

Last edited:

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
There are clutch pedal extenders... which even the taller folks are using to make the ride more comfortable. I am thinking about getting one myself and I am 5'9.

My GT is a weekend car and I drive it to work occasionally when I need "me" time. It has never seen groceries and barely another person.

I find that people get out of the fast lane where I usually cruise and scoot over. They seem to ignore my accord though. :D

Related: Gas costs will be more as will insurance costs. Don't forget to factor that .. unless money isn't an issue! That first new set of tires can hurt people.

Nbaudoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium White - Black Accent
I think you would like it, if you were to get bored theres always mods you can do.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I daily drive my GT and wouldn't have it any other way. It is comfortable, sporty, reliable, attractive, roomy, moddable, and faster than 90% of vehicles on the road.

As far as passing people... well, I'll just say this--I've had people speed up when I tried to pass them, and they stood zero chance of inconveniencing me. ;)

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
hellow fellow Houstonian

GT was my first american car after coming from hondas and lexus. Loving it. We have a a huge 2015+ mustang community already in Houston ~750 members. Many people daily drive them, they are comfortable to drive and can seat 2+2 in a pinch unlike your Z.

This is our public page that is open to join, if you want to check out a monthly meet or meet up with a nearby owner, dont hesistate to ask. We also have a closed group that is only for owners.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonS550s

OP
OP

OmegaRze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
There are clutch pedal extenders... which even the taller folks are using to make the ride more comfortable. I am thinking about getting one myself and I am 5'9.

My GT is a weekend car and I drive it to work occasionally when I need "me" time. It has never seen groceries and barely another person.

I find that people get out of the fast lane where I usually cruise and scoot over. They seem to ignore my accord though. :D

Related: Gas costs will be more as will insurance costs. Don't forget to factor that .. unless money isn't an issue! That first new set of tires can hurt people.

Must be that smiley face on the MS3 that makes them think its okay to come over going slower than me. I drive the GT350 and everyone Mooovveeess :D

As for gas my MS3 gets 18mpg on premium so it shouldn't be a huge increase. I drive 10 miles to work and its no highway driving. I know insurance for my MS3 is $93 and for the Boss 302 it was $125 so I am expecting somewhere in between there. I know all about that tire cost ; ; but I put anywhere from 7k-10k miles a year on a car.

I just don't want it to be another 370z where I keep it for 6 months and decide I can't live with it. Trunk is bigger, AC seats are nice, meets my Ergonomic requirements, has 2 cupholders and one can fit my Galaxy S7 Edge. I am 5'4 inches with short legs and a long torso.

I always get super excited thinking about new cars. I would maybe splurge for a GLA45 AMG but its an automatic and means I have given up the dream. At 27 I am not ready to give up the sports car dream yet!!

OP
OP

OmegaRze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
hellow fellow Houstonian

GT was my first american car after coming from hondas and lexus. Loving it. We have a a huge 2015+ mustang community already in Houston ~750 members. Many people daily drive them, they are comfortable to drive and can seat 2+2 in a pinch unlike your Z.

This is our public page that is open to join, if you want to check out a monthly meet or meet up with a nearby owner, dont hesistate to ask. We also have a closed group that is only for owners.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonS550s

Thanks! I will def check it out!!

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I want to pass people quickly...
It will most certainly do that.

... and have respect on the road - vans pull out in front of my mazdaspeed, and V6 Camry's try to keep up and they can't but the MS3 isn't fast enough to blow them out of the water.
Respect? :doh: No car is going to keep people from trying to keep up with you or not cutting you off. I would not worry about trying to get "respect" from random drivers by blowing them away by speeding past, that is asking for trouble.

So I am thinking Mustang...... Are you guys/gals happy with it as a daily? Does it meet every need? IF I buy a mustang it means our house no longer has a "grocery" getter. We would have a GT350, GT, 1996 GMC Seirra single cab, v6.
I don't daily my Mustang anymore, but that is of no fault of the Mustang's. I did daily it for about 8K miles and even as a big guy it was completley comfortable and a fantastic daily driver in terms of amenities etc. As far as a grocery getter, you have a GT350 with the same trunk space which was big enough for me. You can even take out the carpet pad in the trunk and that makes it even larger. It is definitely more than serviceable with or without the carpet pad.

OP
OP

OmegaRze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazdaspeed 3
I am not into street racing or like going over 100mpg. I am not weaving in and out of traffic like a super agressive driver. I would say I drive fast and am fairly aggressive, but I don't flash my brights or weave in the lane, etc....

What I mean by respect is that I will be going 75mph -80mph in the fast lane and some van or camry will just come over in front of me like they don't care. People look twice and don't do it to the GT350 - people didn't even do it to my 370z. Its like they see the Mazda think its a slow econobox and come on over.

Yes - it still happens in the mustang, but not nearly as much as the Mazda.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
5ft 4in shouldn't be too short for almost any car.

And like [MENTION=15475]daltron[/MENTION] said, anyone can cut off someone. It won't happen less because of what you drive. There's plenty of morons on the road.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Maybe California drivers are different, it doesn't matter what car you drive here.