Thinking/Dreaming about ordering a Mustang

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would go the CS myself in a manual, but immediately debadge it, as in my youth "CS" meant something completely different. While in these more enlightened times one shouldnt care about that kind of misconception, it would be gauche to advertise.
Sponsored

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang FN V8 convertable
I'm new to the forum but have done a fair bit of reading so far. I've just sold my S1000RR and am thinking of getting a Stang as a replacement toy.
OK firstly WTF is wrong with you!!!! - NEVER sell the mighty RR really bad decision right there!!! (Oh and yes I have a RR two!! 16 model with every extra forged rims, race package etc)- AWESOME bike best trackday fun you can have. What where u thinking (shakes head)

Now I have that off my chest yes the Stang is a great second choice!! So I have the convertible FN - brilliant car use it as a daily driver.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
From what I've heard the Auto is better when being pushed, and is in sport mode, but for normal driving is mushy, indecisive, and shifts too much.

I drove both in 2020 when trying to figure out what I wanted to buy. I found the above to be true. The Auto was fun and engaging when getting on it, but irritating when driving normal. I found the Camaro to be the same, but the Challenger and Supra 8 Speeds were spot on. The Manual is far more engaging and enjoyable, even when stuck in traffic.

But you know you. Just ask yourself, which you would regret more and what are you compromising?
The reason why it "shifts too much" is obviously due to the fact it is a 10 speed auto. If it were a 4 or 5 speed auto, it wouldn't shift nearly as much, but performance would suffer along with fuel economy. I still am amazed at how such a heavy car with this kind of performance can still give me almost 19 mpg with short trips and well into the 20's on long highway runs (due to the overdrive ratios). I did notice something interesting that I don't on my other cars with 5 speed autos; when I'm slowing for a turn, etc. I notice the trans downshifts and it seems like its trying to keep the engine rpm where it would match best when you step on the gas again. On my other cars, after making a turn, when I step on the gas then it downshifts. It's like the GT is anticipating my having to accelerate suddenly or something. I'm used to it now and kind of like that it's keeping the rpm at an optimum for whatever speed I'm at when decelerating. BTW, the Camaro's auto is similar because they're essentially the same trans as Ford & GM co-developed the A10.

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
OK firstly WTF is wrong with you!!!! - NEVER sell the mighty RR really bad decision right there!!! (Oh and yes I have a RR two!! 16 model with every extra forged rims, race package etc)- AWESOME bike best trackday fun you can have. What where u thinking (shakes head)

Now I have that off my chest yes the Stang is a great second choice!! So I have the convertible FN - brilliant car use it as a daily driver.
Lol - I known mate! It was tough to let the old girl go. The RR was just awesome and the feeling of raw power and acceleration on a bike like that just cannot be replicated in a car. Unfortunately the misses told me it had to go. She had someone close to her loose his life on a motorcycle recently. Luckily she allowed me to replace my RR with a new toy. I see it as a new phase of my life. something I can enjoy more with the family instead of heading off on my own over a weekend on the RR. Time will tell. Its sad but the Mustang makes for a decent replacement.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited for more info on the S650 before buying, but my gut feel is that the S650 will be more of a 2024 affair. I just dont want to wait that long. Life waits for no-one.

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
If I was ordering this year I think I would try and get CS / auto/ magnaride / spoiler / in either eruption green or mischievous purple.

I love my rapid red but that purple <3
I don't know if this is going to be the case in general for Aus, but the dealer said they ordered 3 CS's but they were going to sell them for around $85-$90k.
I know the general info at the moment is that they will only be $2k more but the dealer was adamant that they will sell for around a 10K premium (because they can). I just wasn't going to pay a premium for something I wasn't completely sold on anyway. I like the interior of the CS, but I prefer the more sophisticated, professional exterior look of the stock car. Love the black wheels as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
The ford.com.au site doesn't have the '22 builder yet but I used the UK site to build a stock car in Atlas Blue. Not sure the colour is accurate but I thought it looks great.
I might just black out the badges, but other than that I'd leave it alone.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

Mustang3.jpg

Mustang4.jpg

Mustang5.jpg

Mustang6.jpg

Mustang7.jpg

Mustang8.jpg

Mustang9.jpg

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang FN V8 convertable
Lol - I known mate! It was tough to let the old girl go. The RR was just awesome and the feeling of raw power and acceleration on a bike like that just cannot be replicated in a car. Unfortunately the misses told me it had to go. She had someone close to her loose his life on a motorcycle recently. Luckily she allowed me to replace my RR with a new toy. I see it as a new phase of my life. something I can enjoy more with the family instead of heading off on my own over a weekend on the RR. Time will tell. Its sad but the Mustang makes for a decent replacement.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited for more info on the S650 before buying, but my gut feel is that the S650 will be more of a 2024 affair. I just dont want to wait that long. Life waits for no-one.
I'm sorry you lost someone that's a tragedy, I've know a few that have been hurt, but bikes are in my blood never not had a sports bike since I was 18 so my wife just upped my life insurance!!

I wouldn't wait for the 650 your looking at a 3 or 4 year wait by then things may have changed and you'll end up in a Holden craptiva like so many other poor sods!!

The FN is a pretty good car, like I said I daily my convertible have done 51k in 2 years has run Sydney Melbourne 6 times did it twice this Christmas, actually quite comfortable fuel on the open road was surprisingly good around 8.1/100.

Anyway enjoy whatever you end up getting.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
Do you have a link to the post?
RHD Australian Mustang Production - From another Forum Member 12/12/21 "There certainly is supply issues at the moment with semiconductor issues making the body control modules production limited for all Mustangs.

This situation seems to be improving as I see them adding production numbers instead of decreasing them. December as an example was going to be zero production but stock must have improved as there is Mustangs being made this month.

MY22 rhd production starts in February for an April/May delivery. But they’re not made in batches. There will be production every month assuming there is supply of body control modules. There’s generally 2 or 3 ships a month heading our way. I could give month by month production schedules but I think that is confidential information and it’s not my place to disclose it."

2022 Mustang RHD Production Schedule ? - Australian Ford Forums

Having said that, Flat Rock has just paused production for a week, due to the semiconductor chip shortage, so who knows ?

Last edited:

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I was interested in what would happen with the UK cars, check out what I read in this thread :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/will-the-exports-euros-also-lose-10-hp.170276/

So who knows what will happen ... ? :frown:

Lets hope Ford Aus gets the brochures correct this time (thinking of the Mach 1 Fiasco) :like:

WD :like:
Yes there seems to be conflicting "Information", however all from Journalists, and until we get the Official Ford Au release, we can only live in hope that our cars will be unaffected, as per the claimed "Ford Spokesperson".

Mustang GT and Mach 1 to have decreased power from 2022 in America (whichcar.com.au)

"A spokesperson from Ford Australia has confirmed to MOTOR that while the Mustang GT and Mach 1 V8s will see a power decrease in the US, Australian-delivered models will remain unchanged.

"Changes were made to US Market Mustang GT models to meet more stringent LEV III (Low Emission Vehicle) regulatory emissions requirements that resulted in a horsepower and torque reduction for the 5.0-litre V-8 engine," said the Ford spokesperson.

The spokesperson also went on to say "Australian-delivered Mustangs will not be affected."

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Might be tough to haggle on prices atm co spidering the stock shortages/12 month wait times and slightly used cars selling for more than new models because people don’t want to wait.

I got a 20 GT Auto with MR. It’s also my daily and I spend a lot of time on the road. The auto is very good But not as good as Twin clutch transmissions IMO especially when driving in “manual mode” with the paddles. The torque converter is just not the same as an “automated manual”transmission.
Normal mode sucks and I only use it to warm up my engine, in the wet or peak hour traffic otherwise it’s always Sport/Race.
Yes, it is definately a Sellers Market, however the reason for the overheated used market is largely a combination of the blown out wait times, no floor stock and of course shortage of production inventory & Dealer Allocations.

However Dealers still have to meet their sales targets, and the market seems to have largely moved to "Drive away NOW" - Used - as a compromise.

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Well, I pulled the trigger and put my name on the list. Atlas Blue, auto. I was torn between a standard GT and the CS but in the end I went with the standard car. I just cant get over those "glued on" air scoops of the CS. It just looks too "boy racer" to me. I like a cleaner look. So I ordered no stripes and no spoiler. Now the wait begins. Dealer estimates Sept/Oct.
Congrats !! Exactly as I intend to order, ie GT Auto in Atlas Blue - No Stripes or Spoiler (which doesn't work anyway), having decided against the California Special for the same reasons as you.

However, I have postponed to mid Feb, in the probably naĂŻve and deluded hope there should be more Production and Inventory and thus more Dealer Allocations and more competitive pricing. With my luck the opposite will happen !

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Congrats !! Exactly as I intend to order, ie GT Auto in Atlas Blue - No Stripes or Spoiler (which doesn't work anyway), having decided against the California Special for the same reasons as you.

However, I have postponed to mid Feb, in the probably naĂŻve and deluded hope there should be more Production and Inventory and thus more Dealer Allocations and more competitive pricing. With my luck the opposite will happen !
The only two things I am thinking about changing on mine will be to get the blacked out pony and 5.0 emblems, as well as the Ford Performance hood struts. Those I will just install myself if they are too expensive from the dealer. The rest of the car will stay stock I reckon. I cant wait!

prestj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TBD
The only two things I am thinking about changing on mine will be to get the blacked out pony and 5.0 emblems, as well as the Ford Performance hood struts. Those I will just install myself if they are too expensive from the dealer. The rest of the car will stay stock I reckon. I cant wait!
I'll be putting the PP2 spoiler on mine if I can get my hands on 1

Reactions: PKs

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Its hard to believe there are no Bonnet Struts on the Mustang, when we have been spoilt with them - or Spring-Loaded supports on the Falcon for decades!

I bet the $20 eBay Falcon Bonnet Struts would fit, with a set of the connecting nipples. Although the Bonnet is larger than the Falcon, it is Aluminum so I doubt it is any heavier.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Its hard to believe there are no Bonnet Struts on the Mustang, when we have been spoilt with them - or Spring-Loaded supports on the Falcon for decades!

I bet the $20 eBay Falcon Bonnet Struts would fit, with a set of the connecting nipples. Although the Bonnet is larger than the Falcon, it is Aluminum so I doubt it is any heavier.
I believe it is due to the pedestrian impact safety bonnet.
Sponsored