Sponsored

Thinking/Dreaming about ordering a Mustang

prestj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TBD
According to a (Ford insider??) member on another forum, there are significant increases scheduled on Australian bound MY22 RHD production, which starts in February 22 for an April/May delivery. Crucially, unlike last year, when there was only two or three very limited production runs, apparently this year will see continuous RHD Production.

So hopefully and assuming the supply issues have been managed, the Order Lead or Waiting times could be seriously cut (with any luck).
Do you have a link to the post?
Sponsored

prestj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TBD
Its really hard to know exactly whats going to happen. My other concern with ordering now is that we dont know when the S650 will come out. Might regret waiting for that or might regret not buying an S550 is you do wait.
Last I read was that Ford will start production of the S650 in March 2023. That probably means Aus wont get any till late 23 or early 24. That is a long wait. This is why I'm leaning towards just buying now. Also the S550 is a known quantity right now. Its been updated and sorted over many years. A new model might have issues the first number of years. One just doenst know.

How does it work when you order one of these? Do you need to put down a deposit? What if you decide months down the track to cancel? Can you cancel? What are the implications if you do cancel?
You will need to pay a deposit...Whether you can cancel or not will depend on the dealer IMO but demand for these are high so I would be surprised if they couldn't accommodate you if you wanted to cancel.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
2 litre will be a big capacity in 5 years time. When I was a kid we used to sneer at the holden 5.0 coz real cars had a 5.8 and the 4.9 was for the mum's car

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Unless this is your grocery getter, daily commuter, and you aren't interested in shaving 1/2 second off 0-60, get the manual. FWIW, this is the nicest shifting manual car I've owned.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Unless this is your grocery getter, daily commuter, and you aren't interested in shaving 1/2 second off 0-60, get the manual. FWIW, this is the nicest shifting manual car I've owned.
I do love a good manual. I am planning on using this daily so there will be lots of heavy traffic work. This may be the deciding factor in my case.

I haven't heard much about MT82 problems in Australia but it seems like it was certainly a fairly big thing in the US. Problems arent so much around the shifting feel of the gearbox more around the fact that they end up refusing to go into 3rd or 4th.
Bumping up the HP is a big thing in the US. This might also be driving the issues over there. I'm not sure, but certainly reading some threads it does seem that the auto can handle much more power than the MT82 before breaking. Now I'm not planning on doing anything on my car. I'll keep it stock so it might be less of an issue for me.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
From what I've heard the Auto is better when being pushed, and is in sport mode, but for normal driving is mushy, indecisive, and shifts too much.

I drove both in 2020 when trying to figure out what I wanted to buy. I found the above to be true. The Auto was fun and engaging when getting on it, but irritating when driving normal. I found the Camaro to be the same, but the Challenger and Supra 8 Speeds were spot on. The Manual is far more engaging and enjoyable, even when stuck in traffic.

But you know you. Just ask yourself, which you would regret more and what are you compromising?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I do love a good manual. I am planning on using this daily so there will be lots of heavy traffic work. This may be the deciding factor in my case.
My Mustang is a manual but not a daily driver. I find driving a V8 manual to be incredibly involving and intoxicating. My favorite trick is a heavy throttle rev match downshift, the bark back through the firewall is just the best thing in the world! Nailing the perfect shift both up and down is fun too.

But.................I'm not driving it everyday, in traffic. You will tire of the manual quickly in stop-start driving. I have manual Ranger for daily driving (same MT82 gearbox by the way) and hate the constant shuffle of gears/clutch.

Get the auto. Yes, the shifting can be busy but it will settle to your driving style soon enough. We also have a 10-speed Ranger in the family, it was erratic at first but has learned it's drivers regular inputs.

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
My Mustang is a manual but not a daily driver. I find driving a V8 manual to be incredibly involving and intoxicating. My favorite trick is a heavy throttle rev match downshift, the bark back through the firewall is just the best thing in the world! Nailing the perfect shift both up and down is fun too.

But.................I'm not driving it everyday, in traffic. You will tire of the manual quickly in stop-start driving. I have manual Ranger for daily driving (same MT82 gearbox by the way) and hate the constant shuffle of gears/clutch.

Get the auto. Yes, the shifting can be busy but it will settle to your driving style soon enough. We also have a 10-speed Ranger in the family, it was erratic at first but has learned it's drivers regular inputs.
This is a good point. I see some tests of the auto and then the journalist complains about the auto hunting or being indecisive. The question is whether they gave the box enough time to learn how the driver drives. Maybe with more time that will get better and go away.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Its amazing how you can get Dealers attention, and encourage them to "Sharpen their Pencil" on Pricing when you don't bother to go in person - just ring them and tell them you are Shopping Around NSW (or WA/SA)- and without giving them any competitor feed-back. It gives you the psychological & strategic advantage
Might be tough to haggle on prices atm co spidering the stock shortages/12 month wait times and slightly used cars selling for more than new models because people don’t want to wait.

I got a 20 GT Auto with MR. It’s also my daily and I spend a lot of time on the road. The auto is very good But not as good as Twin clutch transmissions IMO especially when driving in “manual mode” with the paddles. The torque converter is just not the same as an “automated manual”transmission.
Normal mode sucks and I only use it to warm up my engine, in the wet or peak hour traffic otherwise it’s always Sport/Race.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is a good point. I see some tests of the auto and then the journalist complains about the auto hunting or being indecisive. The question is whether they gave the box enough time to learn how the driver drives. Maybe with more time that will get better and go away.
Put it this way, Mustang press cars and dealer demo's are driven in a certain way, the gearbox is therefore thinking/awaiting the next rush so to speak. When driven "normally" again, the box gets a bit confused as it's still in GO mode. You will find as the box learns your style in normal driving, it will be skipping gears to minimize gear hunting. In the Ranger for example (very different power-train I know but the logic is similar) it will start in 1st, shift to 3rd then 5th and so on.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The other concern is if our Aus Spec' cars are also affected by the US Host cars 10Hp Reduction from Biden's new EPA environmental laws.
I read somewhere that the HP reduction is for US cars only. See this link:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/mustang-gt-and-mach-1-power-decrease-2022
I was interested in what would happen with the UK cars, check out what I read in this thread :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/will-the-exports-euros-also-lose-10-hp.170276/

So who knows what will happen ... ? :frown:

Lets hope Ford Aus gets the brochures correct this time (thinking of the Mach 1 Fiasco) :like:

WD :like:

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
If you want a v8 golf cart get the auto, if you really want to drive the car and be involved in it get the manual

OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Well, I pulled the trigger and put my name on the list. Atlas Blue, auto. I was torn between a standard GT and the CS but in the end I went with the standard car. I just cant get over those "glued on" air scoops of the CS. It just looks too "boy racer" to me. I like a cleaner look. So I ordered no stripes and no spoiler. Now the wait begins. Dealer estimates Sept/Oct.

Moobly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, Lucid Red A10 Magnaride
If I was ordering this year I think I would try and get CS / auto/ magnaride / spoiler / in either eruption green or mischievous purple.

I love my rapid red but that purple <3
Sponsored