The "what things weigh thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow this really goes to show its much more cost effective to do power mods before worrying about weight reduction. For a ~3700 lb car with ~370 whp that's 10 lbs / whp. A $6k procharger will put you at ~490 whp putting you at 7.55 lbs / whp. It would take a weight loss of nearly 900 lbs for the same lbs / whp equivalent. I know that is not an exact equivalency due to changing out rotating masses and some of the weight loss is due to power adders itself, but still it seems the point remains the same. Really thought about doing some of this weight reductions until I started doing some cost comparisons.
You should also take in account that a lighter car brakes and accelerates better and goes around the bends much better plus all its parts have a smoother life, starting from the trans...and you can always add up a procharger after you lightened it, having the best of both worlds (power and lightness).
Sponsored

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Had a new Pirelli P Zero 255/40/19 100Y tire in the garage, so I weighed it on my bathroom scale. 26.6 lbs.
1462476607.IMG_3745.jpg

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Does anybody run the aerospace street kit? How's it perform on the street?

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just a heads up The aerospace brakes are 30% off through the 9th with discount code md.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
How much is the OEM GT hood and trunk? Anyone get a chance to weigh those yet?

Sponsored

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you guys don't want to spend a crap load of money on the aerospace brakes the mustang V6 brakes weigh 33 pounds which saves about 30 pounds off the Brembos like I have and about 22 pounds off the base GT brakes. Which seems well worth it. I just bought a pair off of a forum member for 150 so I feel like it's pretty worth

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
As a roadcourse runner, the front brakes are perhaps the only thing where I would not want to cut weight! ;)

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Koni Sport Yellow Front - 10.3#
Koni Sport Yellow Rear - 4.9#

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Baer Eradispeed+ GTPP slotted front rotor - 22.8 lbs
Baer Eradispeed+ GT slotted rear rotor - 12 lbs
Bassani x-pipe cat back exhaust - 38.4 lbs

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Has anyone gotten the weights of the V6 seats and brackets compared to the GT "cloth II" seats? I am considering the savings when you lose the motors -- I'd prefer to keep the GT seats, but lose the motors -- I realize that may not be possible, or at least not easy. Right now, I want to keep my airbags, and don't want Recaro's.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
If you guys don't want to spend a crap load of money on the aerospace brakes the mustang V6 brakes weigh 33 pounds which saves about 30 pounds off the Brembos like I have and about 22 pounds off the base GT brakes. Which seems well worth it. I just bought a pair off of a forum member for 150 so I feel like it's pretty worth
Oh great idea, use underperforming brakes to save weight. Hell, just remove the rears entirely and someone see if a set of Fiesta rears will mount up front! Solid!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
For the drag racers, the brakes are not *as* important -- they're not going around a circuit doing a ton of braking -- not my only thing, so I'll keep my Brembos (main reason I went PP) and eventually might try the Baer two-piece rotors. I wouldn't be surprised at all (I actually expect) the aerospace brakes would significantly under-perform the Performance Pack Brembos, and probably the stock four-pistons as well -- but if it's a foregone conclusion you'll be mostly drag racing your car, I don't see how it's not an easy cost cutting measure to use the V6 brakes. Clearly the stock V6 brakes -- though not stellar -- are capable of stopping a GT.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I wish the GTPP came with forged wheels to save a few pounds on each corner, those things are anchors.
It's true -- but forged wheels are crazy expensive. I think the stock PP wheels look good, and will have a good service life at least. Flow-formed/rotary forged FTW. Rotary forged wheels can be had for so much less than truly forged wheels -- and still light. I'm just glad Ford was able to make such an amazing car at such a low price-point.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
A lot of rotary forged wheels like the Forgestar line or mrr fs01 are 9-12lb lighter than stock in the same size per corner. I think it's really worth it.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm 3,520 lbs

Just weighed my car.......3,520 LBS with 1/4 tank gas :headbang::headbang:

Here are specs for those interested (listing only the items relevant to weight saving):

Base 2015 300A GT with ZERO options
Forgestar CF10 11x19 on all four corners with Yokohama 305/30-19 tires
Sparco EVOII seats in the front and stock rear seats still in place
Removed front stock seat belts, rear still in place, Sparco 4 point in front
Aluminum hat front Brembo brake rotors
Stainless Works full system, no cats
DSS aluminum drive shaft
DSS 800hp half shafts - added weight
Removed sound deadening in a few places, like felt under carpet and hood liner

Anyway, I was hoping to be under 3,600, so I'm really happy. Only 20 lbs to go to get under the 3,500 lbs mark. To get there I still have the following options:

Rear seat and belts delete
Remove trunk liners, carpets and electric tire pump
Front washer bottle delete
Maybe Watson racing crash bars front and rear
Thinking about the Anderson or Tiger CF hood with vents
Lightweight battery
And I got an Aluminum flywheel sitting in the garage as well

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm really happy to be so close to 3,500 lbs :cheers:
IMG_5566.jpg
DSC03254_800x533.jpg
DSC03230_800x533.jpg
Sponsored