The "what things weigh thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
So, it looks like we can drop nearly 200lbs off this car, if we're willing to make the investment. I've done the lightweight wheels/tires, removed the sound tube, and gone with a relatively light aftermarket exhaust combo. That gets me over 1/4 of the way there. Then, if I do some lightweight Corbeau front seats and ditch the back seats, i'm cutting quite a bit more weight. Removing a few more random pieces like the manifold cover, trunk carpeting, tire kit, etc, and you're looking even better. Finally, doing a lightweight battery, K-member, and a carbon driveshaft and by my math, you've lost over 200lbs. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me. There are still some creative ways to lose more weight, but that's a great start, and I dont think it affects me negatively except in my wallet!
Sponsored

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did any of you guys deleted the A/C and took its compressor out of the way?

I'm going to do it but need some educational input...

Thanks.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
Definitely something worth looking into. I'm sure there is an aftermarket company out there that could probably do something similar for cheaper than the OEM shelby part.
Has anyone found out if we can use the Shelby parts & if so, how much / where we can get them? I have an affinity for this particular mod.. (Aluminum vs. Steel Crash bars behind bumpers)

The local dealer parts dpt couldnt find them - any idea how we could get the part # for this from the GT350?

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Has anyone found out if we can use the Shelby parts & if so, how much / where we can get them? I have an affinity for this particular mod.. (Aluminum vs. Steel Crash bars behind bumpers)

The local dealer parts dpt couldnt find them - any idea how we could get the part # for this from the GT350?
I'm in a similar situation. I have a base gt350 and know the front beam is aluminum. The rear is only aluminum on the R - however every Ford person I've spoke to says the part numbers of the R and other gt350 models are the same for the rear beam. So either:

A) they're all aluminum OR
B) they're all steel rears.

I'm going to try and get a telescopic magnet through my rear diffuser tomorrow and see if it sticks. Will report back.

The part numbers are online and orderable.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I'm in a similar situation. I have a base gt350 and know the front beam is aluminum. The rear is only aluminum on the R - however every Ford person I've spoke to says the part numbers of the R and other gt350 models are the same for the rear beam. So either:

I'm going to try and get a telescopic magnet through my rear diffuser tomorrow and see if it sticks. Will report back.

I am very interested:ninja:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I am very interested:ninja:
Sorry for the delay. It is indeed steel.

Something is not right. I've been dealing with Ford performance about this issue to try and get some facts and even the engineers said no they're the same part number. I have literature about the Rs aluminum rear beam but nobody seems to know.

Added video.

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Something is not right. I've been dealing with Ford performance about this issue to try and get some facts and even the engineers said no they're the same part number. I have literature about the Rs aluminum rear beam but nobody seems to know.
That's ok. I went through the same BS with ford performance and my two local dealers parts departments. I've been trying to get the rear GT350R rear sway bar links because they are 5/16" shorter and they all say they have the same part numbers between the GT350 and GT350R when the owners manual even states they are shorter on the R. So I gave up and bought adjustable ones.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
That's ok. I went through the same BS with ford performance and my two local dealers parts departments. I've been trying to get the rear GT350R rear sway bar links because they are 5/16" shorter and they all say they have the same part numbers between the GT350 and GT350R when the owners manual even states they are shorter on the R. So I gave up and bought adjustable ones.

Yeah it's annoying more than anything. I mean the engineers have access to CAD and the dynamic simulators. All they have to do it to look.

If I was asked a question like that at work by a customer or vendor and I said

"Well I don't know."

There would be issues.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

Added video.
I appreciate your research on the subject very much.
Apologies in advance for potentially slightly hijacking the thread; would you be able to tell me the part # for the front GT350 beams so I can start working on the weight balance immediately? :hail:

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
so I know someone asked somewhere along the thread how much a v6 weighed and it's between 3,469 to 3,530 depending on options I guess leather/cloth, manual /automatic.

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
optional stock foundry wheel and stock tire= 55.2lbs:

weld rts 17x10 and nitto 555 285/40/17 =50.4lbs

racestar 17x4.5 and Mickey Thompson 6677 = 34.6lbs

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Am I correct in that this thread would benefit from weights of:

Stock GT PP rear sway bar
Stock GT PP rear rotors

Thanks, I think I can help with those, if needed.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

Can you please help a guy out, and please let me know how to order these?
Thank you very much!

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Wow this really goes to show its much more cost effective to do power mods before worrying about weight reduction. For a ~3700 lb car with ~370 whp that's 10 lbs / whp. A $6k procharger will put you at ~490 whp putting you at 7.55 lbs / whp. It would take a weight loss of nearly 900 lbs for the same lbs / whp equivalent. I know that is not an exact equivalency due to changing out rotating masses and some of the weight loss is due to power adders itself, but still it seems the point remains the same. Really thought about doing some of this weight reductions until I started doing some cost comparisons.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.