Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
In the video I mention the guy claimed he measured it and it was still in spec in the comments. If it's in spec but still has that movement, could it not be part of the design? Basically I think the tick is something ford deems acceptable because it doesn't cause any harm and is only more noticeable because of the new composite oil pan. It's not a 100k+ supercar engine. They've packed a ton of technology and power into a very affordable package so I think they deem a bit of low rpm ticking noise a non issue.

That’s fords biggest issue. Is they don’t hardly make anything in house anymore. You can thank these Chinese made dies for the crappy panels on the s550. It’s all about trying cut a few cents.
Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Something doesnt convince me of this whole story...if it really was a bad batch/mixed parts then why wasnt it identified? At least have production dates between which it happened...this seems to affect 18s and some 19s. Did they mix f150 with mustang parts for over an year???
Doent make sense...

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think if the tick or even the 2K RPM rattle were harmless, Ford would have said so by now similar to the note they posted on OASIS regarding the GT350 piston slap. We are almost 18 months in since these issues were first reported in the 18+ Gen3 Coyotes. Ford probably knows what the root cause(s) is/are at this point and have put a plan in place on how to deal with the situation. My SWAG is that Ford's legal team has directed everyone to keep quiet due to liability/litigation concerns and their MBAs have done the analyses showing it's cheaper to keep replacing short/long blocks and even buy back cars compared to issuing a TSB/recall. I could be way off base of course, but this is corporate 'Murica we are talking about here.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That’s fords biggest issue. Is they don’t hardly make anything in house anymore. You can thank these Chinese made dies for the crappy panels on the s550. It’s all about trying cut a few cents.
If the standards were set in America by Ford, and the parts meet said specs and are wrong, then it's Ford's fuck up, nothing to do with China.
If said parts do NOT meet Ford's specs and Ford used them anyway, it is STILL Fords fuckup. Tell me how that is China's fault? Ford has to QC, spot check, approve and sign off on all the parts shipments they take in no matter the country it is from. If there is a problem with the parts Ford should be catching them BEFORE they make it into cars and then sending them back to the vendor.

How do I know? I used to work at a factory that made parts for the FCA, GM and Ford, also VW. In fact out of all 4 of those only VW would be the company that would constantly come back trying to push our QC tighter.

Stop blaming Chinese it just makes you seem racist. In either case the fault is all Fords. American factories can pump out low quality shit just like anyone else. Our low quality shit just costs more and charges more because it says "Made In USA" on it. Doesn't mean its actually any bit better quality.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If the standards were set in America by Ford, and the parts meet said specs and are wrong, then it's Ford's fuck up, nothing to do with China.
If said parts do NOT meet Ford's specs and Ford used them anyway, it is STILL Fords fuckup. Tell me how that is China's fault? Ford has to QC, spot check, approve and sign off on all the parts shipments they take in no matter the country it is from. If there is a problem with the parts Ford should be catching them BEFORE they make it into cars and then sending them back to the vendor.
The best way to do it is to have stringent QA checks AT the factory the parts are being made in, and those parts will never get shipped out if they don't meet the manufacturing specs. I've heard of problems at supplier factories where the QA is really lacking, and the factory will even change specs and manufacturing processes to make things easier to manufacture with no approval to do so from engineering or QA oversight from the company hiring that factory to make parts for them. That right there is asking for big time problems ... especially if the company buying those vendor supplied parts is trusting that the factory is doing what they were asked to do, but in secret parts are not being made correctly. Parts suppliers need a lot of oversight to ensure they are providing exactly what was contracted.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The best way to do it is to have stringent QA checks AT the factory the parts are being made in, and those parts will never get shipped out if they don't meet the manufacturing specs. I've heard of problems at supplier factories where the QA is really lacking, and the factory will even change specs and manufacturing processes to make things easier to manufacture with no approval to do so from engineering or QA oversight from the company hiring that factory to make parts for them. That right there is asking for big time problems ... especially if the company buying those vendor supplied parts is trusting that the factory is doing what they were asked to do, but in secret parts are not being made correctly. Parts suppliers need a lot of oversight to ensure they are providing exactly what was contracted.
You should have both. One before it leaves and one to check the honesty of the shop sending you parts.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
How is it ridiculous, i bet you don’t remember when the cats where put on backwards at the plant for the early 2015s or the 99 cobra HP recall. Coming from someone that works in an auto plant. It can happen
And not just workers screw up:
The first Corvettes were literally "rolled" off the assembly line. The early production line was not prepared for grounding to a fiberglass body and thusly the first cars would not start.
https://www.rogerscorvette.com/history.htm

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should have both. One before it leaves and one to check the honesty of the shop sending you parts.
If there is stringent QA at the factory for all the vendor supplied parts being manufactured, then only need receiving and inspection at Ford to make sure you're getting the right parts and they aren't damaged. Then the next QA step would be to do more inspections after the parts are assembled to ensure any critical clearances are correct (like piston to cylinder, journal bearings, rod end play, crank end play, etc, etc). Could lot spot check this stuff to have confidence it will all assemble with correct clearances on everything knowing all individual parts were made to specs. Lots of places for this manufacturing process to go sideways, and that's probably the reason some engines tick and rattle and others don't.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
If there is stringent QA at the factory for all the vendor supplied parts being manufactured, then only need receiving and inspection at Ford to make sure you're getting the right parts and they aren't damaged. Then the next QA step would be to do more inspections after the parts are assembled to ensure any critical clearances are correct (like piston to cylinder, journal bearings, rod end play, crank end play, etc, etc). Could lot spot check this stuff to have confidence it will all assemble with correct clearances on everything knowing all individual parts were made to specs. Lots of places for this manufacturing process to go sideways, and that's probably the reason some engines tick and rattle and others don't.
Would be nice to know how many tick and rattle and especially how many dont...understand how much is internet hype and how much % in reality

18basedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How is it ridiculous, i bet you don’t remember when the cats where put on backwards at the plant for the early 2015s or the 99 cobra HP recall. Coming from someone that works in an auto plant. It can happen
No I don't remember those things, but I will say I also work at an auto plant, and I know things go wrong, but using the wrong part (like f150 pistons) should be a traceable issue that would happen to a certain batch of vehicles before the error was realized. Hypothetically, if they put the wrong pistons in, the issue would look more like this: from june 5th to june 12th 2018, the wrong pistons were delivered to the mustang engine assembly and xxx number of engines were affected. That would be a small number of cars affected by the tick and it would not have gotten so much coverage. But the tick is much more widespread than that. For the f150 pistons theory to be right, ford would have to be accidentally mixing the pistons randomly for over a year now (and even more if we think it's the same tick older coyotes have) and never being able to catch on to it and figuring out a process change that would prevent it. I think that is ridiculous and even thought stuff happens, i don't think that would happen. Am I saying it's impossible? No, but I don't buy that theory personally.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Anytime you just assume that a vendor is giving you the proper spec items you are are risking failures. You should ALWAYS cover your ass. I'm not talking check every part, but every few.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anytime you just assume that a vendor is giving you the proper spec items you are are risking failures. You should ALWAYS cover your ass. I'm not talking check every part, but every few.
That's what I'm saying. If Ford or any other company just puts "trust" in their parts supplying vendors they are asking for problems in the manufacturing process. Seem like everyone needs to be overlooked heavily these days to ensure they are doing the job right.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
If you ASSUME...you make an ASS of U and ME

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That's what I'm saying. If Ford or any other company just puts "trust" in their parts supplying vendors they are asking for problems in the manufacturing process. Seem like everyone needs to be overlooked heavily these days to ensure they are doing the job right.
The company I work for does this with some of their suppliers. They have a "good faith" deal with certain suppliers for reduced prices. The good faith means the receiving department just has to sign the items in, and can't even do a part count. It's incredibly stupid corporate BS that has caused its fair share of problems. Technically speaking, if there's even one error with a shipment, the good faith status can be revoked. However, because nothing is checked, we can't "prove" the fault is with the supplier. So on things go. We have no control over it so customer support just has to apologize and issue a refund or replacement. We then will go and file a claim with the supplier, depending on the problem, and will either receive credit or will have to eat the cost.