Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
More rookie ramblings... <smile>

I was in the trunk for something yesterday and got to thinking about the wing mounts and if there was a potential for them to back out.

The two longitudinal screws didn't give me a warm and fuzzy but I put red thread locker on them just because. ;-)

The base is L-shaped but there's no visible bolt on the deck lid, it's behind the plug...duh and it's a nut..10mm? Can't recall. :-) So that did give me some warm and fuzzies and I put thread locker on that, too then did the other side.

Thankfully <chuckling> the part is designed to exert downforce, not up! Even so, I can just imagine the forces acting on those six mounting screws/bolts.

Edit: What boy didn't hold his hand out the car window on the "expressway" and shape it like a wing? <grin>

I've never seen one of the super cool, automatic, speed-sensitive wings in person but I sure would like to.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Red? Blue would have been fine, I hope you never have to remove that wing. There was a guy at Daytona a few years back who had an FP350S, essentially the same wing. He bent his deck lid. So yes, there is a lot of force acting on the lid. Do you remember my variable geometry wing idea for this car?

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I do remember, Tom and I was impressed.

As for the thread locker, I didn't put enough red on there to prevent removal, I just didn't trust my old bottle of blue (and that isn't single malt.) :-)

Edit: BTW, to show you what a dunce I am Tom, it wasn't until yesterday that I realized that piece of material is undoubtedly a very high theft item, not that I'd EVER leave the car parked where I couldn't at least watch it if not sit IN it. :-) Plus, there aren't as many out there as pickup truck tailgates. <smile>

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I do remember, Tom and I was impressed.

As for the thread locker, I didn't put enough red on there to prevent removal, I just didn't trust my old bottle of blue (and that isn't single malt.) :-)

Edit: BTW, to show you what a dunce I am Tom, it wasn't until yesterday that I realized that piece of material is undoubtedly a very high theft item, not that I'd EVER leave the car parked where I couldn't at least watch it if not sit IN it. :-) Plus, there aren't as many out there as pickup truck tailgates. <smile>
Im the same way with my cars that have carbon fiber. I don't like leaving them out of my sight because there are people in this world that will be happy to relieve you of those items if you don't care.

Edited to add:
That wing only has what? 4 bolts holding it on?

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
No, it has six, Tom. Two screws similar to the rain tray although a little larger and one stud that comes down from the mount with a nut on it, that's the one under the plugs.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No, it has six, Tom. Two screws similar to the rain tray although a little larger and one stud that comes down from the mount with a nut on it, that's the one under the plugs.
I meant the wing to bracket interface, not the bracket that attaches to the lid.

4 bolts and a $14K carbon fiber wing...... Wasnt there a movie about that? Gone in 60 seconds?

Edited to add:
Correction a $23K carbon fiber GT4 wing...

wing2.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh...the upper mounts, roger...just the four horizontal bolts with captive nuts. (OUCH!) :-)
Gone in 60 seconds (probably less). You might want to get that red locktite out again.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Silly me, you're correct, bubba. See, I told you I was a dunce! :-) I'll get to that Real Soon Now.
Ah, you'll be fine...... Just don't let it out of your sight, LOL

Edited to add:
You are not a dunce. You flew high performance jet aircraft.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Ahhh...the upper mounts, roger...just the four horizontal bolts with captive nuts. (OUCH!) :-)
Just a thought: This might be a case where you want to change the bolts to one with a funky star with a blocking post so it takes a unique tool to remove.
The ‘99 Cobra emblems all had those so people couldn’t (easily) steal them. I have no idea if someone makes the right size for this purpose.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You can get security hardware for the wing.