Sponsored

The same old theme Tires, Tires…

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Replacing the rear set with the OEM’s MPSS’s 305’s in my ‘16 GT350. Available and now on stock at Costco. Would 305’s/35 instead of 295’s for the front set affect tramlining or change the driving dynamics?
Sponsored

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Just went through this on my 2017 after taking a screw in one of the OE front tires that was not repairable. Tires were old enough I decided to replace all 4 with MPSS 305/35 square. Tramiling never seemed like much of an issue but with the square setup is even less. Haven't tracked the car but IMO no difference in spirited street driving dynamics.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am about to change the P Zeros out. They are absolutely terrible when pushed hard. Can you post up a picture of how the fronts look? Coming from the Camaro world, a lot of those folks would run 19 inch square setups on track and loved it.

Curious to hear from any others that track with the square setup and how it affects driving dynamics.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Can you post up a picture of how the fronts look?
Sure, next time I take it out I'll take some pics. We got hit hard with snow in the PNW and our road is still a mess...

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Why did Ford, after millions spent on design, development, and testing, decide on 295 front and 305 rear?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Why did Ford, after millions spent on design, development, and testing, decide on 295 front and 305 rear?
I don’t know but it sure works.
Why are you asking?

Last edited:

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I don’t know but it sure works.
Why are you asking?
Yes it does. (sure work!)

I asked because I'm cranky and also never understand why folks deviate from OEM spec and "think" they are improving the car. It is all related in one detail to another.

The GD car was and is perfect from the factory. Why people want to go all Bosozoku with them I'll never understand -- it doesn't make them better.

(Okay - got that out of my system)

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
I don't know why those specific size widths were chosen for the front and rear, but I did read something somewhere (possibly from Billy Johnson on this forum) some time ago that the slightly lesser tire width in front had something to do with the car's handling dynamics on turns, or something related to that. I don't recall anything more specific, other than it had to do with handling in turns.

Short of switching to an R's CF rims/wheels to lessen unsprung weight at each corner that would benefit handling, I know that I certainly can't improve on the handling of this car, which is great, as it comes from the factory after all the R & D that went into it, so I plan on eventually replacing my stock width Cup 2 tires with another identically sized set when the time comes.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I asked because I'm cranky and also never understand why folks deviate from OEM spec and "think" they are improving the car. It is all related in one detail to another.

The GD car was and is perfect from the factory. Why people want to go all Bosozoku with them I'll never understand -- it doesn't make them better.

Because love it or hate it, all MFG's comply with a matrix of some sort than generally balances tire availability / fuel mileage / comfort level / performance / pricing trade off. If Ford truly wanted the GT350 to be a track monster, and not a showroom piece, the splitters would add actual DF, the spoilers/wings wouldn't round off on the ends, there would be no sound deadening, there never would have been an option for heated/cooled seats, and the coolers added in 2017 to the base trim would have been installed in 2015.

Yes, you can absolutely make the cars better than the factory did. However, installing a tire with a contact patch wider than the rim is not one of those things.

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Because love it or hate it, all MFG's comply with a matrix of some sort than generally balances tire availability / fuel mileage / comfort level / performance / pricing trade off. If Ford truly wanted the GT350 to be a track monster, and not a showroom piece, the splitters would add actual DF, the spoilers/wings wouldn't round off on the ends, there would be no sound deadening, there never would have been an option for heated/cooled seats, and the coolers added in 2017 to the base trim would have been installed in 2015.

Yes, you can absolutely make the cars better than the factory did. However, installing a tire with a contact patch wider than the rim is not one of those things.
If one wants to race, one should buy a proper race car and not a GT350. For all the reasons you listed -- the GT350 is perfect for what Ford intended.

You're also correct that super wide tires are just Kabuki Theater for cars & coffee gatherings.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
If one wants to race, one should buy a proper race car and not a GT350. For all the reasons you listed -- the GT350 is perfect for what Ford intended.

You're also correct that super wide tires are just Kabuki Theater for cars & coffee gatherings.
"For what Ford intended". Since I bought my car, I have made it for what I intend. And that is the reason for folks changing their machines. Whether it be for tracking, drag racing, showing whatever. How boring would it be if you wanted a show car and you had to go to the dealer to pick one out? I sure as heck would not go to that car show. For example, many years ago I had complete distain for low riders (the cars, not the people). Now, even though I would not consider a lowrider for myself, I have great respect for the folks who build and drive them. Regardless of what anyone builds their car for I find it very interesting and find that many times the engineering, time, and genius that is put into them to be truly astounding. Rat rods are another new passion of mine. What a boring world it would be if everyone only drove factory cars.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I am about to change the P Zeros out. They are absolutely terrible when pushed hard. Can you post up a picture of how the fronts look? Coming from the Camaro world, a lot of those folks would run 19 inch square setups on track and loved it.

Curious to hear from any others that track with the square setup and how it affects driving dynamics.
Generalities are always somewhat flawed , but in my opinion a true square setup (e.g. 19x11’s with 305/30/19’s) is an improvement on track over the OE spec. The larger footprint helps some to balance the car at the limit for cornering. And by using identical tires and wheels as well as proper hub-centric spacers on the front it’s possible to rotate the tires front to rear to balance the wear for better longevity. For the street, no changes are needed.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

Had not heard the term "Bosozoku" before, so learned a new word today! :sunglasses:

For me going square was mainly circumstantial, not an attempt to improve the car. I wanted to stick with OEM MPSS when replacing all 4 tires after the screw incident, but 295's were on backorder everywhere with no ETA in sight while 305's were in stock at Discount Tire and were actually listed cheaper than 295's if they had been available. Did enough research to convince me there were no issues at all going 305 square and their "might" be a slight improvement if I get a chance to hit the track, seemed like a no brainer. As mentioned the only change I've noticed is the slight tramlining with the OE 295/305 setup is completely gone. Will definitely do the same next time if that option is available.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Had not heard the term "Bosozoku" before, so learned a new word today! :sunglasses:

For me going square was mainly circumstantial, not an attempt to improve the car. I wanted to stick with OEM MPSS when replacing all 4 tires after the screw incident, but 295's were on backorder everywhere with no ETA in sight while 305's were in stock at Discount Tire and were actually listed cheaper than 295's if they had been available. Did enough research to convince me there were no issues at all going 305 square and their "might" be a slight improvement if I get a chance to hit the track, seemed like a no brainer. As mentioned the only change I've noticed is the slight tramlining with the OE 295/305 setup is completely gone. Will definitely do the same next time if that option is available.
Stock wheels?

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You mean, like the millions spent on design, development, and testing of the Gen 1 motors?

🙃 🙃 🙃

Coming from the camaro world, especially the 1LE variant, they are HEAVY trackers over there just like the GT350 world. Their stock setup is 285 in front 305 in rear. I find it interesting that Ford went with 295 with the GT350. You will not see ONE complaint of tramlining in any camaro forum. Many of the camaro owners who track do the square setup so they can rotate as the Supercar 3s don't last very long - which is also similar to the Cup 2s. Mind you, both cars are around 3700 pounds and have magneride dampers. The engines could not make power any differently but now owning both they are similar in their handling characteristics. I need to do more negative camber on the 350 and put on Cup 2s or SuperSports for a direct comparison. Once I do my first track day I will report back.

So that's why I was wondering what folks on this side do as well since I am over here on the dark side now. Ha!
Sponsored