Sponsored

Tires pressures for the track.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Different car but similar weight, I tracked my E39 M5 with PS4S tires and found them happiest right around 37-38 PSI hot.
Sponsored

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Ridge or Pacific Raceways? I live 15 minutes from The Ridge and visit several times each year. I'm still using PSS tires and usually end up around 33-34 psi hot, which typically ends up around 27-28 psi cold for the fronts and slightly higher in the rears. Do you still have your Cup 2s by chance?

I have a 2019 GT350R. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my car and intend to use them on the track for DE days until they wear out. There has been a lot said on this site about the importance of tire pressures for the best handling. The tires have 2,300 highway miles on them mostly from driving the car back from the dealer I purchased the car from in the midwest. I am in Seattle. I am running the tires at the OEM recommended tire pressure for the street. I am getting ready for my first DE season for the car and would like some advice and some experience with the PS4S's on the R and what seems to be the optimal pressure once the tires have heated up. The car alignment is set up for the track so I want to maximize my fun with the best possible handling...and no, at least for now I am not going to rum the Cup2 tires that came with the car. I do use the car around town also and took the Cup 2's off as they weren't very comfortable (tram lining) around town and in the rainy weather.
What PSI should I look to target on the track at temperature on the PS4S's?

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Rick, many factors involved! Did you do the suggested track alignment? What size tires are you running. Are you doing HPDE events with one of our local Puget Sound clubs, Turn 2 or Don Mitch at Pacific Raceway? We have a large number of GT350/R track junkies around here and a few instructors included.
1195.jpeg

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Chedder are you at The Ridge often? I don't think I've crossed paths with you yet?

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Maybe I missed it but, Yea, tire temps are important, very important. But When you get to where you think you want it, what do you do with the information? Target pressure are fine but you need to adjust to your driving style

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
Rick, many factors involved! Did you do the suggested track alignment? What size tires are you running. Are you doing HPDE events with one of our local Puget Sound clubs, Turn 2 or Don Mitch at Pacific Raceway? We have a large number of GT350/R track junkies around here and a few instructors included.
1195.jpeg
1195.jpeg
Yes I had a track alignment done at Cantrell Motorsports. Colin’s group have worked on my cars for years. I am running 305 and 325’s Michelin PS4S. I am a long time member of the Pacific Northwest Porsche club and historically have done my DE days with the at the Ridge, Pacific or ORP. This you’ll be the first non Porsche that I will track. Been doing DE with them for about 5 years and am in the intermediate class. Previously had a Cayman R. When I started I worked with an instructor for the first year. There are a couple of GT350’s that run with the Porsche club now? I am heading to Charlotte for two days at the ford racing school in March, and intend to sign up for as many DE days as I can fit in my schedule this summer.
Back to the tire pressure. I have heard with the PS4S tires that a good place to start is about 28 which would put them around 32 heated. But I don’t have any experience with the car yet to really know. I do like the tires as I have run them on the high way in all condition on many trip back from Indiana when I bought the car and they felt great. I also ran these tires on my Cayman R and enjoyed the ride. open to suggestion allow on all the above.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Yes I had a track alignment done at Cantrell Motorsports. Colin’s group have worked on my cars for years. I am running 305 and 325’s Michelin PS4S. I am a long time member of the Pacific Northwest Porsche club and historically have done my DE days with the at the Ridge, Pacific or ORP. This you’ll be the first non Porsche that I will track. Been doing DE with them for about 5 years and am in the intermediate class. Previously had a Cayman R. When I started I worked with an instructor for the first year. There are a couple of GT350’s that run with the Porsche club now? I am heading to Charlotte for two days at the ford racing school in March, and intend to sign up for as many DE days as I can fit in my schedule this summer.
Back to the tire pressure. I have heard with the PS4S tires that a good place to start is about 28 which would put them around 32 heated. But I don’t have any experience with the car yet to really know. I do like the tires as I have run them on the high way in all condition on many trip back from Indiana when I bought the car and they felt great. I also ran these tires on my Cayman R and enjoyed the ride. open to suggestion allow on all the above.
I run 305/325 Cup2's on my car. Start cold at 34 unless really cold out or wet, then I adjust up or down accordingly.
I know we have talked before at a PCA day so good luck with the new toy!
Sponsored