Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
LOL - no offense, but do you read threads only from the bottom up or not all the way through?

The OP was listing general issues about the poor performance of the MT82. What I offered was some solutions that would help to improve the MT82 functionality vs it’s poor performance in stock form...

I never even discussed “lock outs” nor was it the single piece of subject matter of the first post.

?
Yes, I've read the whole...damn...thread. This lock out issue summarizes what's wrong with the MT-82.

Is your '18 Mustang an MT-82 or are you just regurgitating everything you read here? And no, before you say anything, I'm not mad at you. I almost had a money shift a few days ago because this garbage ass transmission.

The high rpm lockout they're taking about is definitely not. It's a symptom of a garbage clutch that doesn't disengage. Even the reverse lockout solenoid is a fairly recent addition, it's nearly impossible to do by accident.
Yes, definitely not a safety feature. If anything, it will be the death of your car. Lock outs have caused money shifts or over-revving which could cause a kaboom! :crying:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
My first MT82 was in my 2011 GT which I bought new. That transmission was the worst, I changed trans mounts, trans fluid, shifters, and bushings. The factory changed out that trans TWICE and it was still junk. So next time out of the gate I bought the new 2015 GT with the 6 speed auto. That was a great car. Fast forward I buy the 2018 GT with the revised MT82 because I like to row the gears. All I changed was the shifter bushing, from the stock rubber to Polyurethane and the clutch return spring. I have been hanging gears for 11,000 miles and have ZERO complaints. But now it's time for another automatic.

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I must have gotten a Monday morning MT-82, because I have zero issues with mine. Yes, it is a tad notchy when cold, but otherwise it has been a willing partner.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I had zero issues with my mt82 in stock form. I have since added an Exedy clutch, stainless hydraulic line, and MGW shifter. The feel is much improved, but honestly it was fine to begin with. Probably one of the slickest transmissions I’ve driven in a while now.

Those of you complaining about these have probably never driven much to compare them to.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I must have gotten a Monday morning MT-82, because I have zero issues with mine. Yes, it is a tad notchy when cold, but otherwise it has been a willing partner.
I have to agree. My 19s mt82 has been great. Much smoother than my last few manuals. Had a few 3rd gear lock outs early on but once I realized what was happening I corrected my shifting and never have the issue anymore. I'll probably throw a stiffer trans bushing in to tighten it up later this year but overall I have no complaints.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I had zero issues with my mt82 in stock form. I have since added an Exedy clutch, stainless hydraulic line, and MGW shifter. The feel is much improved, but honestly it was fine to begin with. Probably one of the slickest transmissions I’ve driven in a while now.

Those of you complaining about these have probably never driven much to compare them to.
I also have zero issues with my MT-82 but it's not the best I've had by any means. My last car (mini cooper JCW) shifted a ton better actually and it felt like that car and I were bonded like Avatar creatures. Even the 18 SI I test drove felt better than my MT-82. Does it work and get the job done? Yes. Does it sometimes feel like a stick moving through a bag of washers? Yes. Do I still absolutely enjoy every second I'm in my car? <Insert Stone Cold Steve Austin's "OH HELL YEAH!">

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
On my second mt82. First one was replaced at 19k. Dealer said it was not acting right and found issues with the backlash. Clutch from Turkey had half life left and I attribute that to possible clutch drag of some sort. I went ahead and replaced the clutch, flywheel, tob ,pilot bearing everything. So bran new from drivetrain. My car is stock minus an axleback. Never been tracked or raced. Occasional onramp fun.

This new tranny and oem clutch felt great for a month. Now I have clutch pedal vibes, tranny is mechanically loud and I get second gear lock out under normal driving with reverse taking 5 seconds before I can even slide it in.

Safe for me to say I would go office space on this thing if I had a sledgehammer.
Looking currently for a A10.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I owned 2 different 2011s with the MT82. One was a V6 and one a GT. Both of them had some issues with notchy shifts and the GT shifter was so vague I ended up buying an MGW.

The 2015 GT I had - I really liked the MT82 in that car. Much improved. I actually liked it better than the Tremec in my GT350 initially.

It's great to hear that Ford has continued to improve the MT82. Based on my experience with the 2015 I wouldn't hesitate to own another MT82 Mustang.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I had a 2011 M6 GT than I sold at 190K miles - never had a problem with the transmission or clutch - sold the car and it was fine. Never changed the trans fluid and was still on the original clutch. Actually - it worked better than 6M T-56s I had in other cars (2 Vettes, 2 03 Cobras and a Firebird)

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I had a 2011 M6 GT than I sold at 190K miles - never had a problem with the transmission or clutch - sold the car and it was fine. Never changed the trans fluid and was still on the original clutch. Actually - it worked better than 6M T-56s I had in other cars (2 Vettes, 2 03 Cobras and a Firebird)
MT-82 feels great to me. The clutch was always awful from day one, but after the MGW I did the clutch for the extra power from the blower and it feels fantastic now. Nice and smooth with just a hint of effort that I like, its not rubbery at all but also not notchy. I did the BG stuff long ago and to be honest I don't think it made any difference.

I went through a lot of T-56 back in my Cobra and F-body days and those were some notchy bastards. I did have a built Tranzilla model in my 03 Cobra that was rated for 1400hp I think and it was really slick.

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Same here. Maybe I don't drive as hard as others but it does what I tell it to do. I can take the car straight to redline, jam the next gear and go. Notchy at times when cold, but within 5 min it's fine. Is it the best I've owned, hell no. The best would've been my S2000, but I wouldn't call the MT-82 bad or horrible.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Well my 86 has a T5z, my 95 had a Tremec 6 speed, and my 17 has a MT82. The MT82 feels and works better than any of the other. The T5z just can’t handle high hp numbers for long term without modifications and rebuilds, the tremec would not down shift sometimes at high rpms and had lock out issues, my MT82 with a MGW short shifter is the best out of the three I’d say as good or better than my 2002 S2000.
I have a transmission shop and have had many people come in saying there’s an issue with their MT, when I go on a test drive there’s no issue, I then have them drive while I ride and I find that they don’t “listen” to the car, then I’ll drive while they ride and they are amazed at the speed and smoothness of the car, wanting to know “what” I did......lol! All I “did” was “feel” or “listen” to the car. Driving aggressively does not mean being aggressive with your transmission.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Same here. Maybe I don't drive as hard as others but it does what I tell it to do. I can take the car straight to redline, jam the next gear and go. Notchy at times when cold, but within 5 min it's fine. Is it the best I've owned, hell no. The best would've been my S2000, but I wouldn't call the MT-82 bad or horrible.
That describes my 2019 MT-82. Seems just fine!

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Driving aggressively does not mean being aggressive with your transmission.
Agree totally.
I'm the same type of driver and I had no problem with my MT82 so far.
Sponsored