making the mt82 better

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Ford has acknowledged some of the MT82’s issues in seven Special Service Messages and Technical Service Bulletins. These bulletins are sent to dealerships, detailing potential problems and solutions.
These have also been sent out for the auto. What does this even mean? TSBs are normal and every car has them.

Your coyote 5.0 also has a million TSBs, you gonna say that's junk too?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
These have also been sent out for the auto. What does this even mean? TSBs are normal and every car has them.

Your coyote 5.0 also has a million TSBs, you gonna say that's junk too?
There is a class action regarding the MT82 there is no such thing for the Coyote.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
There is a class action regarding the MT82 there is no such thing for the Coyote.
Didn't that get tossed ? Or at the very least not going anywhere ? Regardless it was a laughable lawsuit in the first place.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh you mean like this class action over the 10 speed? Does this mean your 10 speed is junk now?

https://www.aboutlawsuits.com/ford-class-action-lawsuit-10r80-transmissions/#:~:text=the toe implant.-,Ford Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Vehicles Equipped with 10R80,nothing to fix the problem.

Class actions don't mean anything anyway, only that more than a handful of customers are upset. You can sue for any reason in America, doesn't mean it has merit.

I do have a 2017 MT82 car. And in 4 years of ownership I fixed oil leaks from it twice, changed clutch and TOB once and it's starting to have issues with TOB again. I'm saying if I was going to buy a new car today it would have been a TR-3160 Dark Horse and not go through a MT82 lotto again. If it's working for you granny driving it to the mall on a Sunday that's fine some of us actually enjoy really driving our cars.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If it's working for you granny driving it to the mall on a Sunday that's fine some of us actually enjoy really driving our cars.
Here come the insults after all the stuff you said was proven incorrect.

SMH dude that's an embarrassing response, enjoy your car.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here come the insults after all the stuff you said was proven incorrect.

SMH dude that's an embarrassing response, enjoy your car.
Dude it's not incorrect I have service records from ford dealership for all this fixes on the PoS that is an MT82.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
As stated earlier, I never had any problems out of my MT82-D4, but upon teardown, I did notice the following:

The input shaft bearing’s inner race had some oil burn marks around it. I was also able to wiggle the input shaft maybe 3/32” before I pressed it out of the tranny case/bearing. I presume this is what caused the marks around the inner race.

The output bearing was stamped, made in China, whereas the countershaft bearing and input shaft bearing were stamped, made in England.

1695217473005.jpeg

I don’t know if this would have been exacerbated with more mileage, but this was discovered with just 5900 miles on the odometer. Either way, this didn’t look good at all to me and I’m glad I found it early on.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
One thing about manual transmissions, they can easily be broken by misuse. And using it extremely hard will definitely shorten its life. I'm not accusing anyone here of being a poor driver or having zero mechanical sympathy, though.

I remember lots of people broke the T5s in Fox Mustangs. I never broke one, but I also didn't do high RPM clutch drops or no lift shifts. I would shift fast with just a slight lift off of the throttle, though. I also never ran slicks.

I think I drive fairly hard (I try to go easy on the street to keep it legal, but on track I push my cars hard), and I've never broken a Ford transmission. I had a Honda Accord that broke during street only use, but I think that's more of a poor design/build defect. I think our Mustangs are built to handle quite a bit of abuse.

One last thing is I was afraid to run my PP1 GT on track without additional cooling. I know the GT350 transmission got hot really fast on a cool day the first time I had mine on track. Since the regular GTs have no temperature sensors in the transmission, unless you add some equipment you have no idea what's happening with it. Heat will kill anything, it doesn't matter how well it is designed and built.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One last thing is I was afraid to run my PP1 GT on track without additional cooling. I know the GT350 transmission got hot really fast on a cool day the first time I had mine on track. Since the regular GTs have no temperature sensors in the transmission, unless you add some equipment you have no idea what's happening with it. Heat will kill anything, it doesn't matter how well it is designed and built.
Regarding heat what you mean it doesn't have a sensor ? I can really feel how hot the trans is with my right foot :D

wilson0225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wilson
Vehicle(s)
Car
You just made a real a$$ of yourself. BNight spends a ton of time on track and has likely used all of his car more than you've used any of yours. If he's got an opinion, you might not like it, but you can't say it's not an informed one. It is.

The condescending tone in your post is unnecessary, unhelpful and unwanted.

And don't come back with an attitude at me. I've been to the places and got the t-shirts. You'll just make yourself look more foolish.
I apologize if my previous response came across as condescending; that wasn't my intention. Everyone's experiences and opinions are valuable, and I'm here to provide helpful information and engage in constructive conversations. Thank you for your feedback.

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
One thing about manual transmissions, they can easily be broken by misuse. And using it extremely hard will definitely shorten its life. I'm not accusing anyone here of being a poor driver or having zero mechanical sympathy, though.

I remember lots of people broke the T5s in Fox Mustangs. I never broke one, but I also didn't do high RPM clutch drops or no lift shifts. I would shift fast with just a slight lift off of the throttle, though. I also never ran slicks.

I think I drive fairly hard (I try to go easy on the street to keep it legal, but on track I push my cars hard), and I've never broken a Ford transmission. I had a Honda Accord that broke during street only use, but I think that's more of a poor design/build defect. I think our Mustangs are built to handle quite a bit of abuse.

I run my PP2 at different road racetracks in variable ambient temperatures and have not had any issues that I know of, but the one thing I did do was have LiquiMoly put in my MT82. We usually run 20-to-40-minute sessions up to 7 times in a day. The only thing I feel that I am not sure about a little nick going into third from 2nd gear.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
First, i've never driven a mustang with a mt82. Second i don't even own a 6th gen. I'm looking at getting a 7th gen and frankly the only real reason i'd get the dark horse is for the tremec. I have a supercharged 06 gt with the 3650 and after stiff motor mounts and CHE torque limiters it never locks me out of 3rd or any gear for that matter. I assume the mt82 problems are similar with it's semi-remote shifter or is it a combinatin of that and the higher rpms of the coyote? I come here for answers because this is where all the mt82 owners are at.
Hey this is Junior from N4SM, on my 2016 GT manual I have done a couple things to help with the shifting on the mt82 and it has been great. I did the MGW XSpec low profile short shifter, energy suspension shifter mount insert and BG Full Synthetic transmission fluid. With these three things it has been great and feels grat. I haven't had any issues. I do still have the stock clutch but that will be changing soon. 70k miles.
Sponsored