The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just adding this to the Build thread. if you read it in its own thread it is the same.

Alright so for the ones who have followed my build you know I have been running the Barton Short Throw for several months. I have had a little stickiness with the 1st to 2nd gear. As in when I am just cruising and just granny shifting sometimes I would have trouble getting it into second gear. It was almost as if I had to physically pull the shift lever towards me to make sure it would go into second. Let me qualify this with when spirited driving and running thru the gears I never had an issue and I never once missed a gear. But that second gear thing always bothered me a little.

So recently I had the opportunity to get my hands on the New Steeda MT82 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter for a great price. So I figured what better way to put their new shifter to the test than to swap out one of the top of the line shifters and experience the pluses or minuses of the.

When I first unboxed it I will have to admit I thought WTF did I just get myself into as there seemed to be a hundred parts to assemble. In reality I think there is like 25-30 items all together including the bolts and rubber O-Rings. But once I looked at it all laid out it was simple. Basically the same amount of items as the Barton except they had the lever already built as a drop in cartridge.

So once the Barton was removed immediate “Out of the Box” items that popped out when I compared side by side. Both Shifters are made exceptionally well from a machining standpoint.

Steeda Likes/Benefits

1. The Steeda Tri-Ax is much smaller in width and height than the Barton.
2. The Steeda Tr-Ax weighed in at 4.8 pounds by my scale where the Barton was 3 pounds heavier weighing in at 7.8 pounds according to my scale and 19 pounds with trans bracket/driveshaft loop.
3. The Steeda Tri-Ax Shift lever was very solid and did not physically rock around when shaking it. The Barton shift lever would rock back and forth the full motion of a gearshift when I shook it. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BA8oiU3q8Ei/?taken-by=projectmenace)
4. The Steeda Tri-Ax had 1 single style of hardware requiring 2 sizes of Hex Keys to assemble. The Barton had 3 different types of hardware and required multiple wrenches and a Hex Key to assemble.
5. The Steeda Tri-Ax hardware again wins me over with everything being flush/slightly recessed with the exception of the upper four screws that hold the Top Plate to the Mid Plate of the Shift Level Assembly.
6. The Steeda Tri-Ax has a 3 Set Screw System that retains the Factory reverse lock out pull up lever in place, making this IMO ideal for future modifications. The Barton is held in with a very tight fitting Rubber O Ring system that makes it very non user friendly to remove to maybe change the leather shift boot out in the future.
7. The Steeda Tri-Ax comes with a 12”x12” sheet of Dynamat Extreme. The Barton sound pad is literally a piece of 1.25” thick foam that has top written on it with a sharpie. See below for more…
8. The Steeda Tri-Ax comes with a grease packet where the Barton you will need to purchase a tube from your local auto parts store. Maybe…. I had to go to 3 places to find it…
9. If you had previously purchased the Steeda Shifter Bushing Bracket Kit, I believe you can get the Shifter for little less than advertised, as this is part is how they mount their Tri-Ax to the chassis.

Barton Likes/Benefits
1. Barton had a rubber gasket that sealed the two halves of the clam shell similar to a very think little gasket the Factory Shifter. The Steeda Tri-Ax was metal to metal. I honesty do not see an issue with this and it would not deter me from leaving it on my car forever.
2. The Barton had a little lip on the backside of it that the Factory rubber boot from the linkage would fit snugly around again similar to the factory shifter. The Steeda did not, but the Tri-Ax tolerance seemed a little tighter than the Barton one (no did not pull out a micrometer) so again nothing that would deter me from leaving it on my car forever. SO FOR THE RECORD I had a chance to inspect the MGW and drive it as well. The MGW yes has their own linkage but they do not use a rubber boot around their linkage.
3. Only someone like me would know this being I have used both shifters but the Barton had an extremely heavy spring on their factory reverse lock out so it was a bit of a workout to pull it up, but it felt well made and expensive. The Steeda Tri-Ax does reuse the factory spring but with that said the reverse lockout assembly is still very well made. And I believe they are going to release a billet version of the reverse pull up here soon???
4. The Barton used less of the Factory Shifter. Actually my Model/Version of the Barton had the Pivot cup, so I do not recall it using any of the factory parts. The Steeda Tri-Ax did reuse the Factory Lock out Spring, Lower Pivot Cup, Upper Pivot Cup and the Set Screw for the Reverse pull up.
5. The Barton had a nice molded rubber piece that fit perfectly over their shifter lever and sandwiched the driveline tunnel between it creating a nice little dust and noise barrier. Steeda utilized the Dynamat to accomplish this.
6. The Barton shift lever cartridge had a machined in lip where a zip tie would fit snugly and not slip off to hold the rubber boot in place. The Steeda Tri-Ax Square shape provided a snug fit and just enough room to get a zip tie on but no little added lip.

So now onto the Installation part of it.

Anyone reading this has probably watched both the Barton and MGW Videos and knows what they are up against. If you can turn a wrench and are even partially mechanically inclined you can do this install in about 4-6 hours depending on your interruptions one of my kids likes to help, ask questions or just see what I am up to.

Taking into consideration I have installed and removed the Barton at this point I had a pretty good idea what to do. So with that said after I read through the provided Steeda Tri-Ax Instructions I thought there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to disconnect the exhaust (Step 3 in their instructions under section “Disassembly: Underbody”), Disconnect my Drive Shaft (Step 4 in their instructions under section “Disassembly: Underbody”) or Remove my Shifter Linkage (Step 10 in their instructions under section “Disassembly: Underbody”).

So if you do the same you can skip ahead to (Step 5 in their instructions under section “Assembly: Steeda Shifter”).

So yes I built my sifter on my back under my car like the Barton video shows. What really helped me was the fact I own a nice set of Round Head Hex Key Sockets that are about 6” long, that I purchased when I installed my Steeda Front Sway Bar. So utilizing these with a 10” Extension worked well for me to install it under my car. So I followed the rest of Steeda instructions for grease, thread seal application and torque specs.

So I have put 600+ miles on the shifter, 200 of which was a cruise to San Diego this weekend. But I was sold after I drove down the street. So much so I sold my Barton a few days after the installation.

Steeda Likes/Benefits
1. Only way I can describe it but the Steeda Tri-Ax shifts are much more fluid, where the Barton had a chunky, mechanical feel to it.
2. The Steeda Tri-Ax has a noticeably shorter throw thru all gears.
3. The Steeda Tri-Ax does not seem as stiff as the Barton under both normal and spirited driving.
4. The Steeda Tri-Ax has a little more vibration in the lever over the stock one but it is less than the Barton and definitely less than the MGW when I drove my friend’s for a little test drive.
5. The Steeda Tri-Ax shift knob seems to sit a little lower than the Barton. Definitely way lower than the stock shifter.

Barton Likes/Benefits.
1. It is out of my car
2. I sold it.
3. It was a good shifter while I had it in the car no way around it. But the Tri-Ax is my new Favorite.
4. Heavier reverse lock out.

Couple little clips I posted on my IG of just some quick pulls I did. Not the best and yeah the next Mod I could use is a Driver Mod.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0JyYfK8F_/?taken-by=projectmenace

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB6mvlMK8O5/?taken-by=projectmenace

At the moment I cannot find the under car pics I took with the way I had to position the hex key so here are a few installed pics.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have not Any updated pictures for a while now. But I have been very busy over the last few months.

Just before the Tri-Ax I did the MMD Rear Louvers

I also added the RTR Rear Diffuser

as well as the RTR Side Rocker Spliters.

Looks funny without a front splitter so I hope to be getting one here soon.

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Great updates dude - thanks!

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Great updates dude - thanks!
Somehow i missed this one with all the excitement generated on the shifter write up a few weeks back.

Thank you very much. waiting on a few more things and hope they get here before the April 17th show.

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
UPDATE on Build

Big things coming Very Soon. Stay Tuned. BUT For Now Check Out the 2 month old ISC N1 Coilovers, and the 3 or 4 month old Steeda Functional Race Wing as well as their Splitter.

I am currently ground to fender 26.25" in the front and 26 or 26.25 in the Back but I can’t remember and the car is gone for R&D for a while...:( so these are close to the max BUT they are not maxed out. FYI over 2" on Stock PP wheels you need at minimum a 5/16" Spacer or the tire will most likely rub the Spring. This is NOT an ISC Issue but rather an issue with Wheel Offset and S550 Suspension Geometry.

I have a little over 2,000 miles on these with speeds of almost 130MPH, several Canyon runs, and a lot of daily driving to get the damping dialed in. I am running the Street/Race set up which is the in between of the 3 valving/spring options. For my Needs I Probably should have went full Race but these really do compliment the rest of my suspension build. For the price and options, I love these. So much so, I am going to put a set on my WRX that is my DD.

This is after about 1000 miles I Put her back up in the air to check torque on Coilovers, End links and every other aftermarket part. I do this once a month and every time all is good.

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_221931.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_221532.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_223319.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_222939.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_222413.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_221452.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20160729_221437.jpg

Menace-Night-13.jpg

Menace-Night-08.jpg

Menace-Night-18.jpg

Menace-009.jpg

Both Cars are on ISC

Reaper-Menace-FEF.jpg

Reaper-Menace-TLT-04.jpg

Reaper-Menace-TLT-03.jpg

Menace-004.jpg

Menace-Reap-SS2.jpg

Menace-003.jpg

Menace-002.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well this happened a few months ago. Before the car went to SEMA for Fittipaldi Wheels Booth. After working 400+ hours of overtime and saving for almost 7 months the time finally came to get one step closer to my goal and to buy the 2.8LC Kenne Bell Supercharger. The kit literally is 100% complete from Kenne Bell. I only had to buy 2 torque wrenches, some coolant and Some DI water. If you do this installation yourself be sure to have a friend on hand and be sure to plan on taking 2 full days if you are like me and have no idea what you are doing. It took me 24 to 30 hours over the course of 8 days. But I had a few brain farts and self inflicted boondoggles along the way. Broke the ears of the valve cover for the breather fitting so spent half day waiting on a new cover than 3 hours all in replacing that, broke a iridium tip off a spark plug had to wait a day for that, did not have the proper tools twice, had to leave to go buy stuff twice, spent too long being unorganized with my tools etc. So anyway 2 days in I went and bought a rolling 7 drawer 1 cabinet tool box spent a half day organizing my tools and then shit went a lot smoother.

First show I entered the 2nd day she was running The Car took Best Engine at Mustangs After Dark. So it felt good that the 24+ hours over 8 days paid off.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
What injectors do they come with? I looked on the website and it didn't specify...that i could find anyway. I bet that kit is a blast:headbang:

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What injectors do they come with? I looked on the website and it didn't specify...that i could find anyway. I bet that kit is a blast:headbang:
I think they are a the Ford Racing 47lb injector but don't quote me on that. I can ask I have a friend who works closely with Kenne Bell.

And yes this kit is fun as hell.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Would love to see a video on it/hear the blower whine! Looks great man

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Car is looking sweet. I love the Kenne Bell. Any horsepower numbers yet?

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Would love to see a video on it/hear the blower whine! Looks great man
Thanks.

I need to get out and shoot some pics asap so maybe I will try to get some video too.

OP
OP
The Menace

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT